Sign in to follow this  
MartinP

Problem changing SSD to different PCI slot

I would like to upgrade my GPU from a GTX580 to 780 Ti. On checking I have found that the width of the card is greater than the current one and the only wat to fit a 780 is to move a SSD card to a different slot. The problem is that having moved it, Windows no longer recognises it and the drive is gone. Moving it back the drive is also back.

My motherboard is Asus Maximus iv extreme, there are two OCD RevoDrive3 SSD's 240GB. One has the O/S W7 Home Premium - the other FSX.

Both drives currently are in PCIe 2.0 x 16 slots. In order to make room for a new GPU, the one and only remaining slot is a PCIe 2.0 x 8 slot. According to OCZ the SSD remains compatible at x 8. All the PCI switches on the motherboard are on.

However as stated above the drive disapears following relocation to the x 8 slot. The drive does not appear when opening Disk management.

Can anyone help, please.

Martin

OCD RevoDrive3

You mean OCZ?

Precisely the reason I opted to get 2 Samsung PRO SSDs so that I could connect them SATA way.

I hope someone can help you as OCZ have gone belly-up.

Simply a typo, yes manufacturer was OCZ.

It doesn't appear that anyone has a solution so I will go to plan B. I will use a PCI e x 16 extension cable from its current location and relocate the SSD card. Might also, with another cable, have to slightly re-locate the new graphics card.

Not a perfect solution but should work.

Martin

Do not know about your particular motherboard, but some have 2 x PCI-e graphics slots away from each other.