Sign in to follow this  
arnobg

Overclocking i7 4790k newbie

So I just found out what a 4790K can do with a custom water cooling setup (about $400 worth of parts if I calculated the guy's stuff right).  He's running it at 4.9Ghz with 1.27v and getting low-mid 70's in Prime95 and 50-60C in FSX  :o

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

I Have a I7 4790K OC to 4.5 ghz on 4 cores hyperthreading off and i have a steady 60 degrees on all four cores even under load in testing with a stress test, Get a H105 liquid cooler u will get the best overclock results with that not just air u will have problems.

You know with the proper affinity mask and hyperthreading on you will gain FPS and speed up texture loading in both P3Dv2 and FSX right? I have tried with it on and off and I see the best performance with it on.

So I just found out what a 4790K can do with a custom water cooling setup (about $400 worth of parts if I calculated the guy's stuff right).  He's running it at 4.9Ghz with 1.27v and getting low-mid 70's in Prime95 and 50-60C in FSX   :o

Nice but that's a lot of money I'm happy with my H110 that cost $99. If I was gonna spend that much on a cooling solution I'd just save up a bit more and get this. Your CPU will idle at -30C

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6233/ex-vap-15/Cooler_Express_2013_Super_Single_Evaporator_CPU_Cooling_Unit_w_Upgraded_Socket_Kit_-_All_Sockets_478_754_775_1155_1156_1366_2011_939_940_AM2_Xeon_CE-48-S-1C.html?tl=g49&id=phE9rJrq

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

You using Affinitymask=14? or are you using 84 with hyperthreading on?

I've downloaded all the stuff and changed settings, running tests now. Got BSOD with 1.14V and testing 1.15V now with good luck so far and about 62-70C on air. (Coolermaster EVO 212).

Do you think running 70C for long periods of time is "safe"?

I am interested in what kind of settings you have as well in active sky and FSX with those results you posted.

Also what video card? I have a 2gb GTX770. Are you using 2x SGSS and Anisotropic in FSX to get FPS like that?

This is from nick n himself and very true!!!!!!!!!

Let me make something clear.. when you are done with all this you are going to have learned something..  following some DOPE on the internet who tells you what to set and you just push buttons means you learned NOTHING.

When you are done with all this you will have a far deeper understanding of your computer and how clocking works. I don't post guides for dummies I post guides for people who have the bawls to want to learn something and I write them in such a way its very easy to follow and understand

Clocking and performance computing is NOT as simple as a youtube video or just following someone along telling you what buttons to push.. Clocking is a art and a science since no 2 systems act the same under the same conditions there are things a user must LEARN in order to find the correct stable spot for their system, that's what my guide provides; The methodology to LEARN how to do it yourself and do it right

Nick N is highly trained and experienced electronic engineer who understands computers being hes been around them since MIT programmed the lunar module guidance control.

He doesn't take unnecessary risks with the clocking guide and when he does create one you can bet your arse its the most efficient, stable and safest way to get the job done.

Vernon Howells

You using Affinitymask=14? or are you using 84 with hyperthreading on?

I've downloaded all the stuff and changed settings, running tests now. Got BSOD with 1.14V and testing 1.15V now with good luck so far and about 62-70C on air. (Coolermaster EVO 212).

Do you think running 70C for long periods of time is "safe"?

I am interested in what kind of settings you have as well in active sky and FSX with those results you posted.

Also what video card? I have a 2gb GTX770. Are you using 2x SGSS and Anisotropic in FSX to get FPS like that?

I used this http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html to tune my .cfg and those temps are a bit high for those voltages. What kind of thermal paste did you use?

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I highly recommend you go away and read this i have just completed my OC with Nick n guide

http://www.simforums.com/forums/haswell-48ghz-on-air-building-a-haswell-system_topic46180_post288619.html#288619

+1 except start at the very beginning and follow this guide and the other exactly!

http://www.simforums.com/forums/haswell-48ghz-on-air-building-a-haswell-system_topic46180.html

Sorry to send you to another forum but this is definitive! Nick is the Master

Here are the results you can expect:

FSX:

P3D V2.4:

I do appreciate the links guys, I have been reading all night. I did build and set up/install Windows/FSX using Nick's guide and I will continue to work on my overclock using it as well.

How necessary is the Cache ratio? I am reading a lot of contradicting stuff as far as that's concerned. Would hate to get a stable clock, then adjust the cache and have to re-do all of those time consuming tests due to changing voltages.

Been following the guides and doing the hour tests and seems like I am stable so far at 1.17V 4.5Ghz running pretty cool. After all this reading it seems I will have to possibly raise voltages and re-do all this if I change the cache.

Very nice dave whats your fsx.cfg setup and nvidia for fsx? Same as Nick N?

Every thing on my system is setup precisely, exactly, Without variance! Specifically as per Nicks Guides.

Can I make it any clearer Vernon? :-)

How necessary is the Cache ratio? I am reading a lot of contradicting stuff as far as that's concerned. Would hate to get a stable clock, then adjust the cache and have to re-do all of those time consuming tests due to changing voltages.

I think you need to focus on the overclocking procedure as outlined by Nick in the Haswell overclocking guide!

Yes it is time consuming and requires great attention to detail. There is no short cut! Focus on the procedure and follow the required steps to get a stable system. Find you max stable CPU frequency and then your Max Cache Frequency. You should be saving the Bios profiles as you go so that you don't lose bios setting that you have already tested! If you are doing it right you won't need to redo anything!

Cpu Cache will have a very noticeable effect on performance but you have to gradually increase it and test it to find the maximum Stable value!

Nicks guides are completely unequivocal!

I do appreciate the links guys, I have been reading all night. I did build and set up/install Windows/FSX using Nick's guide and I will continue to work on my overclock using it as well.

Been following the guides and doing the hour tests and seems like I am stable so far at 1.17V 4.5Ghz running pretty cool. After all this reading it seems I will have to possibly raise voltages and re-do all this if I change the cache.

Thats a good voltage! like I said earlier long tests aren't really necessary if the test doesn't fail in the first 5 minutes chances are its not going to at least during gaming as FSX or P3D will never tax your CPU as much as a stress test. I ran a 5 min test on my CPU and haven't had an issue with it since I first OC'd it in July!

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I find it interesting that even after going from 4.0 to 4.4ghz my CPU usage is still 100% during light overcast conditions in LA area with pmdg.

I have not changed any settings.

I find it interesting that even after going from 4.0 to 4.4ghz my CPU usage is still 100% during light overcast conditions in LA area with pmdg.

I have not changed any settings.

I'd consider that a good thing.  It means you get better performance out of your settings.  Otherwise, why have it clock up to 4.4 in the first place?

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

After following nick needhams bible and clocking a haswell my OC sits at 40ghz - V1.12 - cache speed 40. I use REX4D, MTX, ASN, 737 NGX, UTX Europe

My fsx is clear and smooth and the CPU temp barely hit 40 odds

Vernon Howells