Sign in to follow this  
Bob Familton

Aliasing Airplanes from Another Drive?

I had FSX on an XP Raid computer and I was able to alias some of my airplanes to another drive like SimObjectPaths.6=F:\Airplanes in the FSX.cfg. I now have a WIN7 64 bit computer and have tried to alias some airplanes to another one of my drives to save space on my C:\ drive, where FSX is installed. FSX does not see any of them.

Can the extra airplanes be aliased on another drive with a non-Raid setup WIN7 64 bit and if so, how? Thanks, Bob.

Yes, no Raid required.

If FSX does not see the folder then your path is probably not exactly correct.

One missing or extra character will cause it not to work.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Yes, no Raid required.

If FSX does not see the folder then your path is probably not exactly correct.

One missing or extra character will cause it not to work.

regards,

Joe

Thanks but the above post has the path copied from my fsx.cfg. I do have an F:\ drive and the path is F:\Airplanes. Regards, Bob.

If you can't get that solution working, you could try using a symlink instead.

Hi Bob,

I tried to post a follow up shortly after my last but the system went down.  I had previously downloaded the Zeppelin but not installed it, so I used it as a test.  It showed up fine in FSX but the sound, which was aliased to the Beech baron, did not work.  Maybe the alias path would have to be edited.  If many aircraft were involved, a Symbolic link, as Jon suggested, would be a better solution.  If drive space was a problem moving the entire SimObjects folder to another drive and creating a link to it would probably be best and easiest.  I have a procedure for creating a link that makes it a snap.  If interested let me know.

Jim F.

Hi all. Thanks for your help. I think the problem is that you can't alias another drive with a plane that has the sound or panel aliased to a plane on the C:\drive. I might try the Symbolic link. Regards, Bob.

Symbolic links are great, however they are not necessary as all you need to do is edit the paths correctly.

If you move a plane to F:\Airplanes and it has a panel aliased to a plane on the C:\ drive you will have to edit the panel.cfg to account for the change to get the plane to show in the sim.

As an example, this is from the sound.cfg from the default B747...

[fltsim]
alias=B737_800\sound

If you were to move the default B737 to F:\Airplanes, and not move the B747, you would have to edit the B747 sound.cfg like so...

[fltsim]
alias=F:\Airplanes\B737_800\sound

The same would work for panel.cfgs too.

The top example is a relative path, when you move things around you need to use absolute paths.

Hope that helps.

regards,

Joe

sigbar.gif

Hey Joe,

It may be somewhat misleading when you seem to suggest that editing the path would be easier than creating a link.  I would agree with you if only one aircraft was involved but if more I think a link would be better.

Here's the contents of Sound.cfg showing the original and the edit I made to enable the sound:

[fltsim]
//alias=beech_baron_58\sound
alias=C:\FS\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\beech_baron_58\sound

I have a relatively simple path but if I had to do it for many planes I'd choose the link.
Incidentally, that dirigible that I chose as a guinea pig is very well done.
Jim F.

The link only works if you move the entire ...\SimObjects folder and if you do so, there is no need to edit the relative paths. They will still work.

And if you move the SimObjects folder all you have to do is edit the FSX.cfg.

The challenge is that the OP, IIUC, has planes on 2 drives that are aliased to each other.

regards,

Joe

sigbar.gif

Hey Joe,

It seems that drive space would be the only consideration for moving a folder and creating a link.  As such, I would certainly recommend moving the entire SimObjects folder and creating a link to it.  However, I can't see any problem with moving the Airplanes folder from the SimObjects folder and creating a link in the SimObjects folder to the new location.  I haven't tried it but I don't see any problem with it.  Do you?  When I had a 64GB SSD I moved my entire SimObjects folder to my HD and created a link to it; I made no edits to FSX.cfg.  I just moved the folder, created the link and that was it.  The only indication that there was anything at all different was a little red arrow on the SimObjects folder in the main FSX folder.  

Jim F. 

I can't see any problem with moving the Airplanes folder from the SimObjects folder and creating a link in the SimObjects folder to the new location.

As I said, the OP is not moving the entire folder, he has planes on both drives.

A link will work in your situation. So would a simple edit to the FSX.cfg, making the link unnecessary.

sigbar.gif