Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

Question for Airbus fans re: Aerosoft

First of all let me say I am not really an Airbus guy (mostly due to lack of high level sim), and have been patiently waiting for the FSLabs A320 to appear....but have to say I am lose hope in this one showing up any time soon.  I see now that Aerosoft have the A320/321 out (an older version I think) and a new A318/319.  I think they also plan to upgrade the A321/320 to the A319 standard.

So my question is this:  How good of an addon is the Aerosoft Airbus?  How close to the real thing? and what if anything is missing?

thanks,

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Knowing that you are an avid Concorde driver, I think I can envision what you expect from a proper Airbus sim, Mark.

Sadly, I haven't seen Ronan (is he still around?) for some time, which would offer a review from a real world Airbus Captain. But Rob is seen quite regularly and me thinks he stated that he maintains (I hope that's the right phrase) the level D sims for the airlines, so there's some expertise to expect.

Don't give up hope on the FSL btw, it's just late which isn't too uncommon in "our" small biz. ^_^

Back to the personnel reviewing the Aerosoft Airbus rendition, Rob stated his views on an early "extended" release back then. Seeing that Aerosoft has improved further and got into more detail, maybe you can trigger a new review from him.

Needless to say that I get the impression that the Airbus from Aerosoft is a fun and rewarding plane to fly. Kind of a sweet spot maybe, when it comes to light resource usage and enough detailed features to please the armchair pilots like us.

Anyway, good thread. I'm interested too. :smile:

I like it. The new 318/319 has some improvements, most notably the fuel and loading page is incorporated into the MCDU. Also seems to have a functional weather radar. Seems to fly a little smoother, too. Still has some rather abrupt heading and pitch changes when on autopilot on my system, but totally flyable and enjoyable. Would like to see a 2D cockpit but I guess I'm just a Luddite on that issue.

Walter Berger

Hello Mark,the main difference to Boeing is :the Airbus fly you,and you fly Boeing !.Second : the usage of the FMC is differently.

Short version - it's a very satisfying product.  More limited than a PMDG offering, the Majestic Q400 or the FSL Concorde - doesn't try to replicate every system and doesn't provide for non-normal procedures.  It's designed to give you the experience of everyday normal operations from the left seat.  With that limitation in mind, it provides a satisfying level of immersion and some nice extras - "driver's aids" like automated checklists and copilot that you can toggle on or off, excellent sounds.  It's easy on my system - moreso than the full-feature offerings by other developers.  

You'll like it or not, depending on whether or not you're OK with the limitations.  It meets my personal need for something that registers realism without being overwhelming, and without chewing up enormous amounts of my (unfortunately limited) time on procedures before I get into the air (I've bought a number of PMDG aircraft and worked through the procedures, admire them hugely, but have a hard time integrating them into my daily life; I get more use out of the A2A B-17 and B377, which help you out a bit).  Probably on par with the most recent Quality Wings offerings (and considerably deeper than the QW 757), though with a "style" of its own (cf. those copilot features).  If PMDG and/or FSL is your gold standard and you don't like to compromise it, you might find it overly limited, and limiting.  Aerosoft is pretty forthright about describing what it does and doesn't do - worth visiting their forums and reading up.

Interesting discussion to have - thanks for raising the question, and good luck in your search.

I think asking "How close is X to the real thing" in a simulator forum isn't going to get you your desired answer. There are far too many self proclaimed experts out there than can wax lyrical about how "realistic" an aircraft is, but the reality is, they've never been near the real thing or even a level D sim.

I certainly haven't so I'll not offer an opinion on how realistic it is. I'll just say it's good fun to fly in the sim.

It is a fantastic simulation. One of the best ever MFS aircraft addon packs (seeing what it offers for its very reasonable price).

Most systems are simulated (all you'd need as an armchair pilot, I would say). No failures - if you care (I never do).

Plus it contains a lot of neat features, like active cabin crew and co-pilots (they will read checklists and do some tasks).

There is a preset view panel for quick access if you wish to use it. Now the bus also has a working weather radar and terrain display.

The right MCDU plays a role of the in-sim manager. You can load fuel/pax/cargo from it directly (like in PMDG 777).

You can control the doors, ground connections, pushback and a lot more.

There's also a great Fuel Planner you can use before flight to calculate the necessary loads and prepare a loadsheet.

You can even print it with your real printer while in the cockpit.

It is very well balanced in terms of performance (I will safely land it where NGX or 777 will give me OOMs).

Plus there are extra goodies available like Virtual Avionics CDU (if you want an MCDU on your tablet - awesome!) and FS2Cew.

There is a very dedicated international team behind it, listening to customers and releasing fixes frequently.

The model is beautiful and the virtual cockpit is eye-catching (I personally love the RW airbus cockpit design very much).

You will find tones of quality liveries for it - hard not to find something I would say, lol.

Once again: this is a standard procedures captain simulation (and this is clearly stated in the description).

If you do like to fly as F/O and/or like to train failures - that may not the product you are looking for.

But if your simming is a standard procedure captain flying (as it is for me 100% of time), it is hard to regret the purchase.

I can't say how realistically it flies, as I am not a real world A32X pilot (I haven't even been at its flightdeck).

But there are several of them in the team testing and improving it all the time. And I've read they are satisfied.

All in all I love it!

PS The new A320/A321 should be out somewhere between November 5 and 10.

I thoroughly enjoy the Airbus Extended (320) and the new mode A318/A319.  Aerosoft has found a sweet spot between deep complexity and flyability that makes these 'buses a pleasure to fly.

DJ

No brainer Mark - get them - also support is amazing Mathijs listens and makes all changes needed in amazing turn around times - just read the manual on hardware setup meaning your throttle setup as it is different than Boeing can be a little tricky but worth it - the co-pilot voice and doing all of the needed work alone is amazing

Rich Sennett

Great info gents.  I will probably wait until the updated version of the A320/321 comes out so I can buy the combo pack.  The reality is that even with the PMDG aircraft, I only fly them as a "Captains" sim and I very rarely use any failures (other than service based failures).

I have seen the Froogle videos and they aircraft with FS2Crew looks very nice indeed.

I seriously need to make a list of unexpected purchases.....its a long list over the year!!!

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

FS2Crew is a very nice enhancement - the "native" copilot and checklist sim, good as it is, doesn't follow real-world procedures and in some respects leaves you with too little to do.  Nice for learning the aircraft, but at some point you'll probably want to graduate.

One detail point - it doesn't include any flight envelope protection routines other than Normal Law (no Alternate Law, for example).  Doesn't sound like that's going to be an issue for you but worth noting just in case.  For me, Normal Law is all I need to get it from gate to gate, which is all I want to do.  Just going for full disclosure here.

According to Mathjis Kok's latest post on the Aerosoft forums, the updated A320/321 should be out at the end of the month.  But you can buy both the 318/319 and the new 320/321 now at a discount, and pick up the 320/321 when it's released.  Details on their forums.  Most of the procedures you'll learn for the 318/319 apply to the 320/321 as well.  Hope this helps.

Ah!  I hadn't seen that.  Thanks for updating the departure board!

FS2Crew is a very nice enhancement - the "native" copilot and checklist sim, good as it is, doesn't follow real-world procedures and in some respects leaves you with too little to do.  Nice for learning the aircraft, but at some point you'll probably want to graduate.

One detail point - it doesn't include any flight envelope protection routines other than Normal Law (no Alternate Law, for example).  Doesn't sound like that's going to be an issue for you but worth noting just in case.  For me, Normal Law is all I need to get it from gate to gate, which is all I want to do.  Just going for full disclosure here.

According to Mathjis Kok's latest post on the Aerosoft forums, the updated A320/321 should be out at the end of the month.  But you can buy both the 318/319 and the new 320/321 now at a discount, and pick up the 320/321 when it's released.  Details on their forums.  Most of the procedures you'll learn for the 318/319 apply to the 320/321 as well.  Hope this helps.

Good info.  I actually thought FS2Crew used real world procedures of some airline (they never say which one).

Also, regarding normal vs. alternate law, I understand what you are saying.  Just a question though, does this addon simulate other Airbus behaviour.....like if you use the sidestick to put the aircraft into a 10degree bank turn, and then let go, it keeps flying the turn correctly ?  Same with climb and descent ?

Mark W   CYYZ      

I had also understood that FS2Crew follows a particular airline's SOP, but I think you're right that they don't identify which airline.

Re: flight characteristics - with the enormous caveat that I'm not a pilot of Airbuses or anything else for that matter... yes, it replicates the Airbus' fly-by-wire characteristics.  Sidestick right to put the aircraft in a bank. Center the sidestick and the aircraft holds the bank.  Sidestick left to return the aircraft to level flight.  Same thing applies to climb and descent.  It's all "bump and center" - feels different from all the simulated aircraft you've flown that model direct control linkages, and it takes some getting used to - feels "sticky" at first, but you do get accustomed to it.  A RW Airbus pilot could say with much more authority whether it captures the feel of an Airbus.  For me, there's enough to remind me that I'm not flying a Boeing or a Cessna or anything else un-Airbus-like.   B)