Sign in to follow this  
FlyIce

Will a second video card help multi monitor performance in P3D?

It might not the best place to ask this question but since I only fly P3D I just ask here first.

I replaced my GTX580 with 780ti a while ago. Now I start using my second monitor for instruments, GPS etc during flight and I can notice that there are definitely some fps drops with those extra windows open on the 2nd monitor. I wonder if I put the GTX 580 back and connect the 2nd monitor to it will that help reducing the performance drop?

Right now to put back the 580 I need to upgrade my 630W powersupply first, hence I'm asking whether there is noticeable benefit of doing this. I'll eventually move up to 2x GTX980 once P3D is SLI ready...

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

I have an eyefinity + 1 setup running 5760x1080 with the + 1 running 1980x1080 all on a R9 290. I tried a second card to improve performance for the 4th monitor and it did not help. I have learned that the 4th monitor for gauges is not a graphics problem but a CPU problem. I have an i7-4770k at 4.4 and still see a big hit when I turn on my gps and move to the 4th monitor.

Tim Curtis

MSFS2020, i7-9900k 5.0Ghz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia 3080, 48" LG OLED CX

Thanks for the info and your experience confirms my concerns that the performance hit with extra gauges and GPS are CPU-bound. Are there simple/afforable software that we can show GPS etc on a networked computer?

I use ASN. (Active Sky Next) It has a map that shows your current position and route if you create a flight plan. The ASN command center as it is called has no effect on frame rates.

Tim Curtis

MSFS2020, i7-9900k 5.0Ghz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia 3080, 48" LG OLED CX

Hi Yang,

I experienced the same problem. I also have a 780Ti and using 4 monitors in total (1 USB). System is an i7-2600 @3.8GHz and 8GB RAM.

I use one touchscreen 10" for the CDU and the USB-monitor for the instruments. (It makes no difference not using the USB-monitor regarding fps btw)

My frames are 20-30 with 2 additional views then. I closed them all and with only the main view I was up around 45-60 fps.

Figured out, that lowering the resolution for an additional view helped quite a lot. Did that with the CDU and frames came up again.

Will give it another try with the instrument, maybe this is a kind of solution.

Problem is, that when I'm around 20 fps I get some bad stutters from time to time. Don't know where they come from, maybe loading some textures, will have to do some more investigation.

But I really would like to understand why some instruments result in half the frames I had before. Anyone has an idea?

Marc

Marc Weber

Marc, it seems those glass avionics are real performance killer, even without being opened in a separate window. I too don't know exactly why, but can imagine that it taxes system a lot to draw and constantly refresh these extra displays.

Hence I'm looking for standalone programs so I can eventually run these extra windows of gauges and avionics on a second computer that networks with P3D main computer. That probably solves the problem the best, of course costs the most (although fortunately a low end computer these days is fairly cheap). There seem to be quite a few standalone panel/gauge software, but I'm having a hard time to find standalone software for GNS 530, GTN 750 etc. 

Hi. Did some more tests and lowering the resolution of the gauges monitors helps a bit.

But you're right, it makes no difference if the gauges show up on a secondary monitor or within the 2D-panel on the first monitor. FPS-hit is the almost same.

I also tried to find a third party software for the instruments, but I would like to have also terrain,etc displayed (I'm using the iFly 737). Maybe then I would have to stick with the cockpit builder edition, but that's quite expensive. Other avionic suites too, I know :mellow:

Hm, just reduced the refresh rate of the PFD/ND/DU in the iFly-menu, that looks promising. Don't know if you have that options, but result here is not too bad.

Marc Weber

Hence I'm looking for standalone programs so I can eventually run these extra windows of gauges and avionics on a second computer that networks with P3D main computer.

"Cheap solution":

http://simplugins.com/

Expensive but high end solution:

http://www.projectmagenta.com/

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Thanks! I checked Simplugins a while ago and are very tempted to give it a try once I find time to play with this. As to projectmagenta, I know they're very expensive, but I can't even find a price list on their website. Also is it true that PM is designed more for hardware cockpit builders? I just want to use touch screen monitor to operate on panels. These touch screen monitors are now so cheap and I just got one 24" touch screen from newegg for $130.

I use FSXPand. Pretty good! It works with FSX and XPlane, on local or networked computer via FSUIPC or XSUIPC...