Sign in to follow this  
N1G

So when do the updates stop?

X-Plane 10 is a pretty good platform already, but also it's worth considering that we are getting lots of minor updates for free, e.g. the GPS, eventually LR will need to stop and begin a new major release. Like XP10, I'll be first in the queue to order the new version. It's also quite easy to just run 2 versions at the same time, and also share the same scenery directory as I did with XP9 and XP10 in the early days.

X-Plane 10 is a pretty good platform already, but also it's worth considering that we are getting lots of minor updates for free, e.g. the GPS, eventually LR will need to stop and begin a new major release. Like XP10, I'll be first in the queue to order the new version. It's also quite easy to just run 2 versions at the same time, and also share the same scenery directory as I did with XP9 and XP10 in the early days.

XP9 was pretty much of a disaster for me, but XP10 showed lots of promise. I'm not so sure that promise has been fulfilled, so I will probably look at any potential XP11 with a very, very cautious eye.

It will take a lot more convincing than XP10 did.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I'll admit I was never a fan of XP9. I used it because I only had a Mac at the time and it was the only way for me to run a flight simulator. I ordered XP10 as soon as it came out, and it was a huge improvement for me. I really look forward to seeing what they can achieve in XP11. For a time I ran both side-by-side before eventually ditching XP9 when everything was updated.

I hated XP9 also, but XPX has sold me that Xplane is the future unless a major player like Microsoft revisit the genre. My main issue is that I hope after 10.35 and we hit the 10.4X that LR stop focusing on adding more sparkles and address the remaining gripes of ATC, AI, and Weather. I don't want to see anymore IPhone Monster Truck games or guys bobbing head videos. It's time for them to add the immersion factor.

I hated XP9 also, but XPX has sold me that Xplane is the future unless a major player like Microsoft revisit the genre. My main issue is that I hope after 10.35 and we hit the 10.4X that LR stop focusing on adding more sparkles and address the remaining gripes of ATC, AI, and Weather. I don't want to see anymore IPhone Monster Truck games or guys bobbing head videos. It's time for them to add the immersion factor.

Ditto!

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

XP 10 is far better than  9 and good to build foundation off of.  Weather and FSX like ATC would be nice to have.  Still, think will couple more updates actually then on to XP11.  Say, a year away from XP 11 being developed. 

I would say that we have at least four or five more years in XPX before XP11 is out to the public. Very slow development.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Still, think will couple more updates actually then on to XP11.  Say, a year away from XP 11 being developed. 

There is a wrong expectation behind this thought. There is no real date: Everything till then is developped for the current version, everything after this will be a part of the next version.

Instead it is a gradual process. Some features are simply not mature (or hardened) enough to be released as a small update. Some features might need a new API and gradually more and more features don't become a part of the4 active release.

Furthermore: Don't expect a delay as between X-Plane 9 and 10. X-Plane 10 had to put X-Plane on a new foundation. We don't need a new foundation, we simply need bigger changes in the area of ATC/ AI planes and perhaps in the interaction of different parts of the sim. IMHO the LUA fix is hack but not a real solution.

Updates will stop when LR has achieved the desired target for XPX. what that target is only LR would know. But now we are past 10.30 and my guess is the final would probably be 10.50-55.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

By the time they get it with what should be there (as per comments in this thread) in about 5 or 6 years, japan will have a moon base, China will connect Beijing to London via high speed rail, cars will drive themselves, the flying car will be common place. So by then will we have real weather and ATC?

I am not yet convinced.

Bob

Say, 10.5 is about right, but it one thing Xplane has that fsx does not it still being developed and improved.

Prepar3d.

I purchased XPX primarily to support Austin a little bit in the fight against the patent troll... I didn't expect a whole lot from it. I wasn't disappointed.

As I've said before, it strikes me as much more of a hobby/personal endeavor than something expected to be fully commercially viable. There's possibly a lot of potential here we'll never see.

For now, I'd like it if the cloud layer above me wasn't just a giant pancake...

P3D is not intended for average user like Xplane.

What exactly does an "average user" mean  ?

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

What exactly does an "average user" mean  ?

i guess someone that cant shell out 200 dollars for a flightsim and /or a few hundred for scenery.  One thing X-Plane really does have is a great open source community. I guess once P3D gets 64bit, and alot of the fsx stuff  that currently works in p3d but isnt actively suported anymore, will stop working, investments are needed that some people simply dont have.

For me i can have have almost complete of Europe with ZL17 Photoscenery and 3D Objects completley for free. While i like FSX or Prepared i simply cant afford that kind of stuff unless i starve my family ;)