Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Back course ILS

I'm planning a flight from EGGP to EPSC

EPSC rwy in use is 13 non ILS , there is only 1 ILS and thats rwy 31.

the wind direction from ASN is 150/6 so the landing has to be rwy 13.

Now what roll modes and pitch modes will i use? LNAV and VNAV? also what mins do i go off as this rwy doesn't show any information whatsoever.

Vernon Howells

I cant really answer your question, but I was wondering if in the real world, do they really change the active runway for a 1deg change in wind direction or 1kt speed change ?

because FSX is very strict, it will change the active runway for 1kt winds which changes direction, shouldnt the NG be able to land with some amount of tail-wind which doesnt exceed the aircraft's limitations ?

I dont mean to hijack this thread, but it did make me wonder what do you do in cases like this where the wind forces you to land on a runway which is not, well, ideal...

Maybe not the exact answer you want, but I don't think the tailwind limitation for a 737 is lower than 6 knots ;). Use runway 31 if you want to, the length of 2500m should be more than adequate. There is no published procedure for a LOC BC approach. You could do a circling approach though.

6kt's is nothing, use the ILS with the tiny tailwind.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

If the runway is 13 then fly a visual approach. Fly a simple pattern and land. VNAV, LNAV, shmalNAV.....just fly the plane. 

Let us know how you get on.

Peter Schluter

At EGLL (Heathrow) the main  Runways 27R  and 27L will  normally  be  used  in  preference  to  Runways  09R  and 09L when  the  tail  wind  component  is  no  greater  than  5  knots , provided  the  runway surface  is  dry .

Very good response guys, thanks!

My experience is low and aviation is not always rigid as i'm learning and things can be worked around like what joeba mentioned, fly the ILS with a very small TW.

Thanks peter maybe i will try a visual i'll have an hour in the air to prep and read my FCTM for a visual app and plan very carefully!

Proper Planning Prevents ###### Poor Performance hehe

RSVIT how is IAN used with PMDG? Never uses this before!

If the runway is 13 then fly a visual approach. Fly a simple pattern and land. VNAV, LNAV, shmalNAV.....just fly the plane. 

Let us know how you get on.

I will do think i'll attempt my first visual :)

Vernon Howells

When i first started simming i thought everything had to be so so precise. Then i watched a video of a charter flight from the UK to the Canaries. The pilot was flying the STAR per the numbers, but it was a clear day and he had a perfect view of the runway off to the right. He asked for a visual, got it, and just flew it to the runway and landed.

No VNAV/LNAV, no minimums, just a landing.

Peter Schluter

Hi peter thats what i'm slowly understanding now :) i have ditched Radar Contact and going to start flying my Bird and procedures the way i want and out of the book!

Radar contact is just a pain when approaching 40nm you have to setup a waypoint at 40nm which it can and sometimes messes up your STAR!

I found this on PPRUNE

If you flying a 737 with an ND, circle to land is very easy.

Prior to commencing the approach, either enter a 2nm final at 3deg, or put a 2nm fix ring around the RW threshold position.

A 2nm wide downwind works very well. If the ND is on a 10nm scale, the the base of the aircraft symbol (the triangle) is equivalent to 1nm, so estimate twice that width from the runway indication, and you have a 2nm wide downwind. If you have a 2nm fix off the RW threshold, you can also use that to estimate the downwind width.

Fly downwind at flap 5 and 1500'agl, extend gear and flap 15 when abeam the landing threshold if a visual approach, or otherwise gear down flap 15 if as a part of an instrument approach with circling.

Abeam the 2nm final point, extend landing flap, begin base turn and commence descent. Set the same thrust and pitch settings as you would use stabilised on an ILS. Complete landing checklist.

Aim to fly a standard 3deg descent rate (approx 800fpm should work out nicely at most weights). Because your total track miles until landing is approx 5nm (i.e. 2nm base width + 2nm final length + a little bit extra for the turn), descent from 1500 feet at 3 deg will work out perfectly. Adjust descent rate using the 2nm final point as a guide to descent rate, you should aim to fly over it at 600'agl.

If you need a bit more room to make sure you get stabilised, you can easily modify the procedure to a 3nm final, however if you are flying this as a circling approach, the 2nm final procedure makes it much easier to remain within the 4.2nm circling area.

Vernon Howells

I will do think i'll attempt my first visual :)

Vernon

Use runway 31. Unless you have done a lot of practice of visuals, you are looking for a disaster.

Michael its all good, i have this one lol Proper Planning Prevents ###### Poor Performance hehe 

i'll save my flight at the TL where the app procedure begins just incase!

Vernon Howells

Vernon

Use runway 31. Unless you have done a lot of practice of visuals, you are looking for a disaster.

I could not disagree more. If visibility is good he should be able to make a visual approach and land perfectly. How do you think pilots landed aircraft before the electronic wizardry we have today was invented ?

Peter Schluter

I tried to setup the app for an ILS onto rwy 31 but these where the only approaches available-

NDB 

RNV

VDM

what is VDM and how come the ILS isn't listed?

I didn't go for the circling approach wasn't sure about the minimums as the vis was down to 2.5 SM

Vernon Howells

Very odd, what NavData are you using? Using NavData Pro I've got ILSZ 31, ILSY 31, RNAV 31, LOCY and Z 31 as well as the NDB31. Could always tune and fly the ILS on your own.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS