Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Back course ILS

I'm using navigraph? I tuned and flew the ILS what nothing was in the database...

Vernon Howells

How do you think pilots landed aircraft before the electronic wizardry we have today was invented ?
Pilots conducted visual landings after a lot of practice in C172s, Beechcraft Barons, 737 simulators etc. I doubt if their first visual was in a 737 loaded with passengers.

The ILS at EPSC Rwy 31 is unavailable till 18 Dec 14 according to the following NOTAM from here:

E2461/14 NOTAMN

Q) EPWW/QICXX/I /BO /A /000/999/5335N01454E005

A) EPSC B) 1409180000 C) 1412182359 EST

E) PROCEDURE EPSC ILS Z OR LOC Z RWY 31 (CAT A/B/C/D) (AD2 EPSC

6-1-1

AND AD2 EPSC 6-1-2) NOT AVAILABLE.

PROCEDURE EPSC ILS Y OR LOC Y RWY 31 (CAT A/B/C/D) (AD2 EPSC 6-1-3

AND AD2 EPSC 6-1-4) NOT AVAILABLE.

https://pilotweb.nas.faa.gov/PilotWeb/notamRetrievalByICAOAction.do?method=displayByICAOs&reportType=RAW&formatType=DOMESTIC&retrieveLocId=EPSC&actionType=notamRetrievalByICAOs

Very odd, what NavData are you using? Using NavData Pro I've got ILSZ 31, ILSY 31, RNAV 31, LOCY and Z 31 as well as the NDB31. Could always tune and fly the ILS on your own.

So this means your database is out of date!

Vernon Howells

I only update mine every few cycles. Point is that it should still be in the system.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

the wind direction from ASN is 150/6 so the landing has to be rwy 13.

Not really...

Granted, most facilities will try and align people to the wind, but if the weather is low and the wind is only 150 at 6, most places will just assign the longest runway with an ILS.  It's only a 6 knot tailwind.

Beyond that, and I'm restraining myself a bit here because I HATE this simism:

Pilots land their own plane, by hand, a good 99% of the time, visually.  If the weather doesn't call for an ILS, then they won't use the ILS.

I cant really answer your question, but I was wondering if in the real world, do they really change the active runway for a 1deg change in wind direction or 1kt speed change ?

No.  Operational advantage, common sense, and coordination take the cake.  A facility isn't going to change everything for 1 knot/degree.  Even if you had a North-South runway, were landing North and the wind went from 089 to 091, they'd stay in North Ops until there was some break in traffic (and the wind was forecast to become more Southerly).  Even if you had a 10 knot wind, the change from 089 to 091 is essentially negligible because the head/tailwind component of that crosswind is minimal (it's almost all cross).

It's a huge simism that pilots always land into the wind.

Fun fact:

Wind less than 5 knots is considered 'calm' by the 7110.65 (ATC version of the AIM, essentially):

"Except where a “runway use” program is in effect, use the runway most nearly aligned with the wind when 5 knots or more, or the “calm wind” runway when less than 5 knots (set tetrahedronaccordingly) unless use of another runway will be operationally advantageous, or is requested by the pilot."

Runway use programs are like what you'll find at BWI:

Runways 31L/R and 10 are not to be used for departure unless the wind is 20 knots or greater, in favor of those runways.

Runways 15L/R and 28 are not to be used for arrival unless the wind is 20 knots or greater, in favor of those runways.

Wind 041-220: Arrivals on 10. Departures 15L/R (15L GA/props only)

Wind 221-040 Arrivals on 33L/R (33R GA/props only). Departures 28.

As you can see, a lot more goes into runway selection than "point the nose into the wind."

So this means your database is out of date!

False.  I'm usually relatively patient with you, but unless you know something is categorically true or false, I ask that you avoid saying things like this.  It could make people think that there's a problem with their system, when in this case, there's absolutely nothing wrong.

The NOTAMed unavailability of an approach does not mean that it's not going to be in your navdata.  IAD had the STOIC departure in its navdata for years.  Potomac TRACON NOTAMed it out of service from the day it was released until the FAA took it out of circulation because they feared it would cause traffic conflicts.

I only update mine every few cycles. Point is that it should still be in the system.

Yep - all procedures are in the system, regardless of NOTAM because whatever is causing the NOTAM could end earlier or later than the planned time, which could cause problems if it got pulled from the nav data at any time it's NOTAMed.

Kyle Rodgers

I updated my database to the 1411 cycle and they no longer contain those approaches dave mentioned. They now contain these approaches - NDB RNV VDM in my latest database so i'm only going off what i have in my FMS. So i assumed his was out of date.

You can be patient with me because this forum is for nubes and learners and we all make mistake but as a community we will all help and correct each other. I don't see Professional pilots forum where i would deserve getting the stick lol

thankyou for letting me understand about NOTAM and database though as you mentioned below!

Vernon Howells

Kyle's one of the top guys here and always means well. Vernon's discussions are bringing a lot to the table. Love all.  :smile: 

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com