Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Reflections & Shadows

Bumped into this on the web.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

That is exactly what I love most about Microsoft Flight. I can never tire of it! I will take the eye candy every time, beautifully  done.

Steve

The thing is, I'm not sure if its peoples computers or what, but I hardly ever see a video that does justice to exactly how both pretty and Smoooooth Flight is. Seeing this one made me decide to throw something together really quick, to show why Flight users seriously compare it favorably to P3D, in the eye candy department.

And why Flight with FSX scenery might be a killer combo.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

And why Flight with FSX scenery might be a killer combo.

Agreed! Other Simulators wouldn't stand a chance in the market if this was put together!

Agreed! Other Simulators wouldn't stand a chance in the market if this was put together!

Not sure I would go that far. The tubeliner guys won't even blink, for instance. Then there are the people who want all sorts of Ai planes in the air, ATC etc...........

It will probably be quite attractive for pure GA, though.

I always thought that a great strength of Flight was its easy and simple multiplayer and the social aspect.

Devons rig

Not sure I would go that far. The tubeliner guys won't even blink, for instance. Then there are the people who want all sorts of Ai planes in the air, ATC etc...........

I always thought that a great strength of Flight was its easy and simple multiplayer and the social aspect.

OH... OK then!

I always got a chuckle at how many sim flyers bought all kinds of scenery enhancements for a pretty good bit of money and got less or close to what Flight had out of the box.

This is not to detract from what's available for the other sims nor to what they accomplished. It's just a comparison at what Flight gave to the community without extensive modification.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

This is not to detract from what's available for the other sims nor to what they accomplished. It's just a comparison at what Flight gave to the community without extensive modification.

... and imagine what Flight would have been like, if scenery enhancements were a possibility!

I guess that's why Microsoft never released an SDK for Flight. Modified scenery could have been imported from FSX and "enhanced" with Flight's technology, therefore, community members could get third - party scenery for free, instead of buying the official DLC package. 

I always got a chuckle at how many sim flyers bought all kinds of scenery enhancements for a pretty good bit of money and got less or close to what Flight had out of the box.

True! I mentioned (in long buried threads) that Orbx would almost not have to bother with scenery in flight, since the existing textures where already so good. They could just concentrate on building airports!

Devons rig

very nice video. I love the sun flickering thru the trees :smile:

I'd still disagree with "pure GA." If I want to make a realistic general aviation flight, I'll still do it in Flight Simulator X. Why? I can start at parking spots, I can tune the radio and get ATIS/AWOS/ASOS (weather), I have GPS for reference (radio frequencies, runway length, etc.), and I can have actual people being air traffic controllers (as well as have the option of using VATSIM or PilotEdge).

However, as for practicing power off landings or just landing on random stuff, I enjoy (and prefer) Flight.

I'd still disagree with "pure GA." If I want to make a realistic general aviation flight, I'll still do it in Flight Simulator X. Why? I can start at parking spots, I can tune the radio and get ATIS/AWOS/ASOS (weather), I have GPS for reference (radio frequencies, runway length, etc.), and I can have actual people being air traffic controllers (as well as have the option of using VATSIM or PilotEdge).

However, as for practicing power off landings or just landing on random stuff, I enjoy (and prefer) Flight.

I can see your point, but for me, the flying experience is a very visual one as well, and I find the visuals, smoothness and general it-just-works of out-of-the-box flight much more pleasing than out-of-the-box FSX.

I've also come to the point where dealing with multiple (and sometimes conflicting) third party scenery's, updates and general tweaking to keep it all running with any sort of consistency in FSX was becoming something very akin to drudgery.  :(

I just want to boot up, fly, have fun and shut down.

Flight is......... soothing, but admittedly limited in variety. If, however, I have access to the whole world of FSX in flight (I have only intermittent mild interest in tube-liners) then that will do me for quite some time.

Devons rig

If I weren't a real world student pilot, I'd likely agree with your assessment. I've had proper procedures and radio communications drilled into my mind too well to be able to truly ignore those things in simulators. Many IFR practice trainers and even NASA research simulations (and likely Level D as well as other full motion simulators) really don't go big on graphics -- they're all about procedures and realism.

While it is annoying dealing with FSX addons at times, I've gotten to the point where I fly nearly default with a select few addons. I don't worry about tweaks or adjusting settings anymore, and to be truthful, the sim runs just fine without it.

I do agree about Flight being polished, though. It's well done; the flight dynamics feel much nicer (especially at the back end of the power curve), the shadowing has vastly improved, the sight picture seems better -- all things that are nice, but in the end, unfortunately doesn't completely make up for what it lacks.

While it is annoying dealing with FSX addons at times, I've gotten to the point where I fly nearly default with a select few addons. I don't worry about tweaks or adjusting settings anymore, and to be truthful, the sim runs just fine without it.

True. I guess some of us approach FSX in phases.

First re-discovery had me buying about $100 dollars per week in various add-ons, and I did that for a very long time. Then there was the bench-marking and tweaking phase, followed by the slow realization over time (a few years) that I was'nt really using the majority of the things I had purchased; just a moderate circle of favorites. Then you realize that the major reason you're constantly, tweaking is that you've overloaded the sim with crap.

Crap gets uninstalled, and while FSX now runs as intended, it probably looks much worse than you've become accustomed too. You also now have gigs of unused crap on your HD, and have little interest in ever buying more.

Then comes the quiet "I just want to fly" phase, and an appreciation of something that looks good (enough) and simply works.

And is even.........

Fun.  :ph34r:

Devons rig