Sign in to follow this  
BimmerCop

mstext40.dll and P3D 2.4 CTDs...

This afternoon while on a flight from TFFR to KMCO, I got a CTD and event viewer had this error logged:

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 2.4.11570.0, time stamp: 0x542314d3
Faulting module name: mstext40.dll, version: 4.0.9756.0, time stamp: 0x49246e49
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000373c
Faulting process id: 0x3c8
Faulting application start time: 0x01cfeb0dcdd5b132
Faulting application path: E:\P3D\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mstext40.dll
Report Id: 3dfb0759-5716-11e4-8a8e-10bf487dc342

I restarted my PC, setup my flight again and 2 hours into the flight, bam! Another CTD and upon viewing of the error log, it once again had mstext40.dll as the culprit.

Any ideas on what the issue could be? Is it really an issue with mstext40.dll?

Any help would be appreciated before I slam this keyboard.  :( CTDs are so frustrating!

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

Any help would be appreciated before I slam this keyboard. CTDs are so frustrating!

It appears you have the wrong version of mstext40.dll installed. Your error report indicates the faulting path was to the 64 bit folder. The mstext40.dll should be in the System32 folder as P3D is a 32 bit program. It should not be calling a 64 bit module. Make sure you have Microsoft Visual (x86) versions installed and not any of the x64 versions. The module is part of Microsoft Visual Basic.

It is used by developers to write a text file and the dll must be in the correct path in order to launch Microsoft Jet Text ISAM as it does not have its own user interface.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim, forgive me, but I believe there's no version of mstext40.dll in \System32 folder on 64bit Win8.1. However the mstext40.dll in \SysWOW64 is called by the WOW64 process for 32bit apps using the MS Jet DB. mstext40.dll would not be "the culprit", rather it is being used incorrectly by P3D, maybe due to an addon of some kind.

Any ideas on what the issue could be?

What aircraft?

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

According to Google, there must be a copy in the System32 folder and, if Windows 8 is doing that, then P3D is not compatible with Windows 8.

Thanks for your help though!

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Google huh! According to my hard disk, I've only got mstask.dll, msTextPrediction.dll, and mstsc.exe, starting with "mst" in \System32 because it's a 64bit system. But 32bit apps run on Windows 64bit systems on top of the WoW64 process, which as I said calls mstext40.dll in \SysWOW64 folder. It may be worth having a look at the aircraft used, some use the Jet DB for NavData.

Hey guys, thanks for helping me out with this.

Steve, the aircraft is the Aerosoft A318/A319.

I already uninstalled the RAAS addon that comes with the A318 because I also noticed that one of my previous CTD was caused by RAAS and according to Rob Ainscough, RAAS uses stereo audio which conflicts with P3D. FS2Crew has been notified about this and we are still waiting on them to address that issue.

FWIW, I also use VoxATC. Could this addon be calling for that mstext40.dll?

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

Google huh! According to my hard disk,

You are probably right Steve as you definitely know this better than me but here's my Source - http://dll.paretologic.com/detail.php/mstext40 .

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

I also use VoxATC. Could this addon be calling for that mstext40.dll?

I don't have VOX installed but have a look at it's folders for a ".mdb" file for navdata, and if so try updating to a more recent AIRAC.

@Jim: No worries Jim.

All the best.

I don't have VOX installed but have a look at it's folders for a ".mdb" file for navdata, and if so try updating to a more recent AIRAC.

@Jim: No worries Jim.

All the best.

Steve, VoxATC uses the Level-D NavData from Navigraph, and I have the latest (1411 cycle) installed.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

OK not that then, and not the aircraft. Odd one...

...brain out-to-lunch. I meant RAAS, VOX doesn't run under P3D as a dll, still I suppose you checked that all out.