Sign in to follow this  
ozflyer

PMDG 777 SP1C and MCE issue

Hi,

I installed the service pack SP1C for PMDG 777-300 ER today.

I have noticed and issue, when I request engine start 1 and two (in sequence ofcourse...).

FO will answer engine 1 failed to start, but indications are for normal start, and then when I request start for engine 2, he advises the engine is already started/running....

Just noticed it today after installing the service pack....

Are others encountering this issue as well ? or have I not setup currectly  or flipped a switch ??? .

I requested all the preflight, before start procedures etc.....

Thanks

Hari

Hi, Hari. I think I can run a test later. Are you on the latest MCE release? 2.6.2.2?

Edited. Ok, test ran. Slightly different results:

Commanding to start engine 1 results in a running 1. So that part disagrees with yours. However, if I command to start engine 2 after this, my FO indeed responds that "engine 2 is already running", which isn't the case.

If I, still being in that situation, command another start of engine 1 (which should end in "it's running already" or something), the FO will in fact try another start and then complain that it failed.

All my starts involve me as the one moving the fuel control switches. The start switches however are part of the FO's actions.

Hi, Hari. I think I can run a test later. Are you on the latest MCE release? 2.6.2.2?

Edited. Ok, test ran. Slightly different results:

Commanding to start engine 1 results in a running 1. So that part disagrees with yours. However, if I command to start engine 2 after this, my FO indeed responds that "enginje 2 is already running", which isn't the case.

If I, still being in that situation, command another start of engine 1 (which should end in "it's running already" or something), the FO will in fact try another start and then complain that it failed.

All my starts involve me as the one moving the fuel control switches. The start switches however are part of the FO's actions.

Hi CoolP,

I am running 2.6.2.2

Similar experience to yours, I am also having to start the engines myself since installing SP1C.

Wonder if MCE needs to be reinstalled ???

I have not tried this, but with FS2Crew being delayed until the release of SP1C and with FS2Crew being the official co-pilot program for PMDG, I wonder if something in the SDK has changed to accommodate FS2Crew.

Maybe the FS++ team don't know about it yet. If so expect a new release soon.

Then we would also have to wonder if other things were affected too. Well, I will try later when it comes to the normal commands like headings, alt and some MCP modes. Those worked fine so far, means before SP1C.

Wonder if MCE needs to be reinstalled ???

I doubt it, but one can try of course.

Will wait for FS++ to come up with their findings and response.

I did a short flight this afternoon, and with the exception of the engine start issue, didn't encounter anything else.

with FS2Crew being the official co-pilot program for PMDG

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to clarify things about this matter.

We know, like many others, you were misled to believe so. We can categorically state that “official” statement is the invention of a “deluded” person. And I am weighing my words.

We have official e-mail correspondence from PMDG where they clearly state, that they are, and wish to remain neutral in respect to their dealings with third party developers. The only way is the SDK. There is no privileged access.

Ask yourself, if the “other” product was the official one, why did it take so long? The SDK was out there since July. Do you still believe, the sound files are holding it up?

He has usurped that “Official” title, mainly so people can discard our offering as not genuine or something, while he works out who is going to help him understand the SDK and Simconnect for that matter.

PMDG didn’t mind him pretending to be “official” because he has that capacity of nuisance by using his fan boys to bully aircraft makers with statements such as “we won’t buy PMDG products until they give him SDK”.

To be honest, if it was really “official”, we wouldn’t even mind PMDG licensing it from him.

But you know what; facts and technology all speak against it.

I doubt someone who put 3 years crafting a high level simulation, with the result users ending up flirting with the VAS limit, would officially endorse some software whose gist is to throw in megabytes of audio and a heavy memory user called the speech engine.

We are talking 300 to 400+ MB VAS usage (memory that other add-ons won’t be able to access), and that assuming you are doing the clean-up on every resource used after a command is spoken (what happens after you have spoken 500+ commands). Never mind the possibility of the simulator going missing at the slightest mishandled voice command, or the speech engine becoming unresponsive after a while (keep in mind T7 could be flying 8 hours).

That’s why you will be told, say exactly this and only at time T, do exactly that before proceeding with this. Is this what voice control is supposed to be?

We definitely have the technical edge. That’s why Aerosoft chose MCE to drive the A320/A321 via voice, and safely from outside the simulator process, with only a couple of tiny dlls running inside it. MCE will hardly, if ever, compromise the integrity of the flight. Worst case scenario, you lose FO mid flight, and it’s just a matter of restarting MCE or continuing your flight without it. No going back to the gate as a result of not doing things in expected sequence.

What we don’t have, is time to spend on social media, starting threads 3 months before we actually do anything, and more importantly when we don’t control all aspects of the project.  Then come up with excuses like “the dog ate my homework”.

As the Nike advert says....we just do it. And we don’t make a meal of it either (yet another product, another installation. You get the point).

It’s also a misconception that because we support many (28 so far) aircraft in one package, we are doing so lightly. In fact you guys know it already; we interface them in more depth than the competition ever dreams to do.

Finally, voice crew simulation cannot happen without aircraft. So, people should stop seeing this as the coming of the Messiah. Our position is not to pester aircraft makers and let them do whatever they want with their aircraft, and then it’s up to us to constantly adapt to the changes they may eventually make.

Sorry for sounding so harsh, but 3 years ago (with NGX release) we suffered a lot as a result of unjust things that were said about us at the time. All innuendo instigated by that same “officially” deluded guy, I dare say.

People with an open mind should just have a go at the Demo:

http://www.multicrewxp.com/Downloads.html

Regards,

The FS++ team

Thanks for the new dll, will try it soon. That was quick. :smile:

Edited. Tried it, no change on the starting behaviour. "Engine 2 is already running" while it is not.

But engine 1 is now properly detected since, when I try to command "start engine 1" while it is running, the FO detects this state correctly and denies another start attempt. So engine 1 starting/detection seems ok, 2 still needs a fix.

Hope you feel better no Gerald, after getting all that off you chest. It is good to have a rant once and a while. Although you are preaching to the choir here. The main people on this forum are customers who have paid over there money for MCE because they feel it suits there needs better.

I myself like the fact that it's not a script and I can use TTS voices which match my co-pilot in VOX. It feels more realistic to have the same voice. I also like the fact that it is not scripted all the way, so I can make some voxscripts with stupid things like chitchat and get a reply. There are some things in MCE that do annoy me, things like the fact that my co-pilot starts switching things without being asked, just because they hear a noise, or the fact that nothing will happen without my say so. I have mentioned this before, that it would be nice if there was an IF / THEN statement that could be used, but I understand the reasons why not.

The only reason I mentioned FS2Crew was because they stated it was held up because of problems with the SDK. I know you and your team have ways of working around SDK's and release earlier so I did not know if PMDG had altered the SDK to work around them, something that you was not notified about. The way you have released the new DLL file means that something must have changed but the fact this thread was created, gave you the option to fix something you may not have known about.

Hope you feel better no Gerald, after getting all that off you chest. It is good to have a rant once and a while. Although you are preaching to the choir here. The main people on this forum are customers who have paid over there money for MCE because they feel it suits there needs better.

I know Craig.

It wasn't really intended for you or the other forum contributors.

Just wanted to set the record straight for all other users alien to MCE, who may come across this thread.

And thanks once again for giving me that opportunity.

It wouldn't be wise to start a thread on PMDG forum, telling everyone, someone out there is spreading false information. :rolleyes:

As you can see in this thread, I was first to report problems with SDK. Post #32

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/447368-22jul14-sp1-monitoring-items-updated/page-3

Yeah, "sorry" for fixing things from other devs withing hours. Will try it later, Gerald. Thanks so far. :smile:

Yeah, "sorry" for fixing things from other devs withing hours. Will try it later, Gerald. Thanks so far. :smile:

+1