Sign in to follow this  
chris512

Some CPU Advice Please...

Hi Guys,

I recently moved to Oman from the UK to work and I already miss my Sim! I'm pricing up a new system but need some advice on CPU's. My old system had an i7 2700K in it. I'm a bit out of touch with the new Intel stuff. Can someone point me in the right direction please? I basically looking for the best CPU available that isn't an Extreme version. Looking on the websites is confusing me as some of the 4000 series i7 cpu's are more expensive that the 5000 series. I assumed that the 5000 cpu's are newer and faster but apparently not?

Thanks in advance... Chris

If you really want a new CPU, go with the i5 4690k (especially if you overclock).  The extra $100 for the i7 4790k just isn't worth it for simmers/gamers.

2700K is still a really good CPU, I have it, and will wait for Skylake in 2015 and hopefully DDR4 Ram are more mature and cheaper then.

All these "minor" upgrades (Sandy,Ivy, Haswell, Broadwell) are surely good, but a waste of money IMO.

Real upgrade is a 25-30% increase in performance, not 5-10%, too expensive changing socket/mobo every time, they could learn a bit from AMD and of course earn less $$$!

If you really want a new CPU, go with the i5 4690k (especially if you overclock).  The extra $100 for the i7 4790k just isn't worth it for simmers/gamers.

I disagree.

Passmark test using 4 cores:

4790K scores 11.309 / 4Ghz = 2827 per GHz

4690K scores 7.772  / 3.5Ghz = 2220 per Ghz

On other words, it scores about 33% faster per GHZ  and while it's true that it's just a synthetic test, it most certainly does show in real life, even in FSX when they would be running at the same clock speed. Especially in a game like FSX in which every frame counts, I don't see why anyone should settle for less for $100 buck...the price of a hard drive.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.