Sign in to follow this  
srburger

Defining (and keeping) a default flight

Guest JohnC

I run Win XP and cannot define and keep a default flight in FS9. So I have to choose a flight each time I reload....which is often because I am designing new scenery.

Guest Mike_Luchia

In your fs9.cfg file (sorry can't remember which section and I am at work right now so can't check) find the entry for Show_Opening_Screen and change it to =0 This will take you directly to your saved default flight.

Guest JohnC

Hi Mike... I have the setting you recommended set to 0. I seem to recall that you used to be able to clck on the FS9 icon, and (eventually) without further selections, your default flight would start. I don't have any default flight. My default box always appears unchecked when I restart and I always get the dialog box to select or create a flight.

right click on any of your *.flt files and select open with, then choose program scroll sodwn untill you find Microsoft Flight Simulator, select it and put a tick in the box labelled "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" then clcik on ok, FS9 will open to the saved flight wthout going through any other screens. also all you saved flights (and the flights in the main folder) will now look like the FS9.exe. you can now create a shortcut to your favourite flight and each time you clcik on it the game will go straight to your desired light.

Guest JohnC

Thanks, Bruce...I used to do this and found that the saved flight would get corrupted somehow, but I will give it another go. I wish I knew why my default flight box won't stay checked tho....thanks for responding.....

Guest LLgaz

Could it possibly have something to do with this section of the FS9.cfg file?[uSERINTERFACE]MAP_ORIENTATION=2PAUSE_ON_LOST_FOCUS=0PROMPT_ON_EXIT=0SelectFlightLevel=0SelectFlightTitle=0PageID=3OpenATCOnCreate=0SITUATION=C:Documents and SettingsMyNameMy DocumentsFlight Simulator FilesCessnaStartupDisplayFuelAsWeight=1It seems that since some update to WindowsXP, the line "SITUATION=" is not written to whenever you save a default flight. You have to go into the FS9.cfg file and type in the path to that flight. So, you save your flight in FS, check "default flight" if you want but, like I said, it doesn't write it to the FS9.cfg file. However your saved flight can be found in the relevant "my documents" sub-folder. You can then type the path to that file into the FS9.cfg file as shown above and this will ensure that your saved flight becomes your default flight.This problem has been debated here, but I don't think any easy answers have been found.This method works, but unfortunately, if you want to use a new default flight, you will have to go back into the FS9.cfg file and change the name to the new name. One way around this is to give all your default flights the same name so that the files will be overwritten and the name remains the same in the FS9.cfg file.Hope that helped.

hi Anthonywell i added this line SITUATION=C:Documents and SettingsMyNameMy DocumentsFlight Simulator FilesCessnaStartupand it solved my problem!thx!

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

I just noticed that mine is doing this alo now. Last week I saved a flight as I was testing out a new repaint and it saved as the default no problem. Now no matter what I make a default flight it stays at the earlier one. This is weird, wonder if it has anything to do with an addon changing something.Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW