Sign in to follow this  
jbcallender

Troubleshooting a New Video Card

I recently purchased a new GTX980 card, 4gb of memory.  I installed it, updated the driver to 344.16 and started FSX up in a known scenario and basically I see little or no increase in FPS per the FSX FPS meter.  My FPS generally run in the low to mid teens in the NGX.  At cruise, I'll go up to the high teens/low 20's.  I have not done any tests with P3D as yet.  Here are the particulars:

i7-4770

MSI Gamer 7 MoBo

12gb memory

737NGX

FTX Global terrain

AS2012 on a separate laptop

SSD's

FSX is in the root folder (c:\FSX), but not on it's own drive.

FSX Acceleration all service packs current 

I set the parameters in the FSX preferences menus and deleted FSX.cfg and created a new file.  Set HighmemFIx, set wideview aspect, set affinity mask=14 AND 84 wit no appreciable change.  Set FPS limiter=30 and=0 (unlimited), with no appreciable change.

I am to the point where reinstalling FSX and my few addons is the next step.  If that doesn't do anything, it's time to zap the whole box and start over.  I am desperately trying to avoid either of those options.

Is it logical to think I would basically see the same performance with a GTX980 4gb card as I did with a GTX660 2gb card?

I am a long time simmer and reasonably technical.  Am I missing a step?  What would you be trying next?

Thanks for your help and thoughts.      

Jeff

Jeff Callender

If you want to see that card really fly then you should consider P3d , as you may know FSX is CPU intensive not GPU so you may just see an overall increase in smoothness but no jump in FPS

ZORAN

I set the parameters in the FSX preferences menus and deleted FSX.cfg and created a new file. Set HighmemFIx, set wideview aspect, set affinity mask=14 AND 84 wit no appreciable change. Set FPS limiter=30 and=0 (unlimited), with no appreciable change.

Did you delete your FSX Shader cache folder.

gb.

I installed it, updated the driver to 344.16 and started FSX

Did you uninstall the 660, reboot then install the 980?

Agree it's a bit of a worry you are not seeing any improvement.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Did not delete shader cache, did not reboot between pulling 660 and installing 980.  I'm assuming that you mean let it run off the mobo integrated graphics then shutdown and install 980.  I just shut it down, yanked the 660 and put in the 980, booted, then installed software and 344.16 driver.

Will add bufferpools tonight as well.

Will try these suggestions tonight. 

Jeff Callender