Sign in to follow this  
CrownCityMisfits

Adding Custom Cargo to a Virtual Cockpit

Is it possible to add visible cargo (or any other custom object) to the virtual cockpit of a specific freeware or payware aircraft? Seen from exterior view as well? Could it be toggled on or off? Does it require editing the VC mesh - or can it stand alone, non-destructive to the aircraft files?

I have professional experience in 3D modeling and animation, plenty of repaints under my belt, and dabble with scenery creation - but have no clue if this is possible, or how I would even start.

I'd appreciate any information that points me in the right direction.

Thanks!

BB

You will first need to obtain the source model of the aircraft in question.  Payware, good luck obtaining that!  Freeware, maybe.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

You will first need to obtain the source model of the aircraft in question.  Payware, good luck obtaining that!  Freeware, maybe.

Interesting. Well, I don't want to rely on editing the aircraft model, but rather load another model within the aircraft model. Of course this model needs to be "attached" to the aircraft model.

So is it correct to assume that: any aircraft with elements that can be toggled on/off (like tie downs, gps, etc), must have those elements built in the main aircraft mesh file? I have noticed in some aircraft there are different MDL files for different versions of the virtual cockpit.

:Thinking:

I'm not a modeler, but it is my understanding that anything that appears inside of the virtual cabin must be included in the model of the virtual cabin.  Even things that can be toggled to be visible or invisible are a part of the aircraft model.  Even something as simple as landing/taxi lights, in order for them to illuminate the ground at night they must be a part of the model.  The same goes for external items, if they are a part of the aircraft, then they are a part of the model.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I'm not a modeler, but it is my understanding that anything that appears inside of the virtual cabin must be included in the model of the virtual cabin.  Even things that can be toggled to be visible or invisible are a part of the aircraft model.  Even something as simple as landing/taxi lights, in order for them to illuminate the ground at night they must be a part of the model.  The same goes for external items, if they are a part of the aircraft, then they are a part of the model.

Thanks much for the response and info.

It's a very interesting thought, though.  I wonder if it could be done with some sort of gauge.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

It's a very interesting thought, though.  I wonder if it could be done with some sort of gauge.

Yes, it seems like there must be a workaround while not affecting the aircraft or vc object file. I have some fun ideas about what to do if this can be figured out, but it will take someone with much more experience modding aircraft than I to develop a technique. I have never modded gauges, but that may be a good place to start. Thank you.

:clapping:

This can be done via simconnect, you can attach another MDL/aircraft to the user aircraft. The specifics I'm not so sure on.

Okay great thanks for the heads-up. I will look in to this asap. Much appreciated Jordi!

The use of a gauge to add cargo could be an interesting thing.