Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

How important is the GPU, for real?

Until SLI isn't cleared, we're going to see bad performance in some heavy scenarios. However, I still think single gpu is way unoptimized.

Gordon,

I think your choice of the Iris Dynamics yoke is excellent. One suggestion. If you haven't already done so, invest in FS Force. It totally, accurately, emulates the effect of trim on the yoke. It is compatible with the yoke. Can't afford the yoke at this time. Would be interested in your experience with the control.

I do have a full set of flight controls. I use a Sidewinder 2 joystick, but I think, for hand flying, a yoke is superior.

Dear me, how many times did I type yoke?

Graham

I know this is getting OT but I just wanted to add to Graham's comment, I own FS Force and it has transformed force feedback with my sidewinder 2.

With iris though it isn't needed as the iris yoke does all the calculations for ffb internally based on data passed from the sim about the aircrafts situation. This means correct trim can be done from the sim including having the in-cockpit trim gauges work.

This is lifted from their website. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Chris

Realistic Trim Implementation

In flight and on commercial-level flight simulators, pilots can adjust trim to create neutral pressure on the yoke. This function is unavailable in all but the most expensive simulation systems but is now a part of our yoke.

Onboard Force Calculations

Because this yoke carries an onboard computer , your main simulation computer does not need to perform force calculations. All that is needed is to pass the appropriate Data References/Simulation Variables (speed, attitude, etc) back to the yoke and the Teensy will then perform all necessary calculations.

Thanks Chris,

You're right about potential OT, but perhaps the mod will give a bit of leeway.

You are correct in stating that FS Force is not required. I only mentioned that as it was referenced on their website. So...1600 dollars for the yoke. Yikes. But it would transform flying everything except perhaps high performance jets and props; and of course Airbus aircraft. The realism it would bring to GA and non-Airbus aircraft would, I suspect be enormous.

I hope they haven't shot themselves in the foot though. It initially started as an affordable force feedback yoke. Fair enough. But the price has doubled. Hope they pull it off.

Graham

Well I run a MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk 1Gb (probably the best performing 560Ti out there), frames locked at 30, FSGRW, ORBX Australia scenery, A2A 172 and no drop in frames unless I select the CS777, YBBN or YMML.

Unsurprisingly GPU-Z shows the gpu at 100%. :rolleyes: It's being pushed along by a 4770K (stock). A mismatch ... sure ... I'm saving for a GTX 970. But it works, is smooth and I don't feel underprivileged. <_<

I am contributing solely for the benefit of those that have yet to commit to acquiring P3D and have doubts about their system coping.

Are you able to run with any kind of cloud shadows at all? I have a 560ti too and have been thinking about trying P3D for the cloud shadows. I have i5 2500k OC'd to 4.2 or 4.6(can't remember which now). Wondering. If it's even worth thinking about trying it yet for me or wait til I can spend $2k for new pc?

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Ryan,

The GTX 970 destroys the 570 in anything that actually uses the GPU, it's not even close - I did that same upgrade (had a 780 for a few months between them as well, sold it for the 970 last month). Even in FSX the 970's capable of doing stuff like DSR that really improves the look of the sim, even if it's not a massive performance difference. In modern games like BF4 or whatever the difference will be astounding - you can run the game with the settings totally maxed out at 100+ FPS.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Are you able to run with any kind of cloud shadows at all?

Yes Kevin.  I overlooked including the most important part  ... cloud shadows!  I'm greedy I've turned them all on.  :lol:

Since writing my earlier post I have ordered an MSI GTX 970 to help things along with other games a little but your 560Ti will run P3D satisfactorily.  Don't put it off.  P3D is the 'real deal' and you will love the shadows in the vc as much as cloud shadows, believe me. LM provides a 60 day refund if it doesn't work for you, so really you have nothing to lose.

Yes Kevin. I overlooked including the most important part ... cloud shadows! I'm greedy I've turned them all on. :lol:

Since writing my earlier post I have ordered an MSI GTX 970 to help things along with other games a little but your 560Ti will run P3D satisfactorily. Don't put it off. P3D is the 'real deal' and you will love the shadows in the vc as much as cloud shadows, believe me. LM provides a 60 day refund if it doesn't work for you, so really you have nothing to lose.

Thanks! Alright, you've got me seriously thinking now of what it will take. I will go thru my add ons tomorrow to see what I can and can't bring over to P3d and what I'd have to pay for again too.

On a related note, I know I should know more about this but I dont...will a 970 work in my Asus P8P67 Pro R3 MB? I do know it won't perform as great as it would in a newer MB, but would it still work and perform well? I wouldn't mind getting one of those now along with P3d and then upgrade the rest of my system 1Q 2015.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I will go thru my add ons tomorrow

Out of the box, so to speak, P3D offers aircraft from Alabeo, Carenado, Iris etc. as defaults.  Many say P3D offers better ground texturing as well.  I can't remember since I haven't flown FSX 2 months after its release.  Although the Estonia Migration tool is truly excellent,  and many developers are now offering upgrades to existing products,  I wouldn't spend any money on add-ons or time transferring your existing add-ons until you are satisfied that P3D runs to your satisfaction.

will a 970 work in my Asus P8P67 Pro R3 MB?

Frankly can't answer that either Kevin.  I know a PCI -2 express will operate (limited) in a PCI-3 express slot but unsure whether the reverse is possible.  Hardware experts please chime in.

Ryan,

The GTX 970 destroys the 570 in anything that actually uses the GPU, it's not even close - I did that same upgrade (had a 780 for a few months between them as well, sold it for the 970 last month). Even in FSX the 970's capable of doing stuff like DSR that really improves the look of the sim, even if it's not a massive performance difference. In modern games like BF4 or whatever the difference will be astounding - you can run the game with the settings totally maxed out at 100+ FPS.

Thanks for the input Ryan - this just adds more confirmation to what I've been reading up on.  It's amazing how old my 570 seems now hehe.  I heard though nvidia is planning a 8GB 970 though (or maybe it was a 980 only)...  I guess 8GB would be overkill unless going 4k monitor.

btw, someone brought up the outdated mobo part....  I think my P67 is still PCIe2.0 - does that mean it's not worth getting a 970 (and or will it even work?)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The main difference between PCIe 2 and 3 is maximum throughput. With a GTX 970 in a 16x 2.0 slot, you won't exceed that.