Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Any downsides of installing FSRecorder?

I've mulled installing FSRecorder for ages.  Does it impact frames?  Is it stable?  Which version is best?

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I only use it for the replay feature.  It's wonderful for that purpose, but I can't comment on it's other features.

No adverse effects in the years I have used it, go for it!   If you value replays, it's heads and shoulders above the default FSX replay function.

All you have to do is remove the dll.xml entry and delete the FSRecorder folder if you have problems, but you won't - except that you'll probably spend all your time rendering video of that perfect landing you just made, lol. FSRecorder can be installed anywhere and the dll.xml entry is automatic IIRC regardless of where you install it. If you want the video rendering capability you need to get version 2.17 alpha or later (not sure there is a later version actually).

EDIT: correction, there's a 2.18 alpha that apparently can also record camera movements which would be great for rendering video since panning around in the cockpit is very difficult to do while rendering video. I haven't tried it, it's on my bucket list though.

Jim

I've heard the best way to make a video is to use FSRecorder to play the flight back but use fraps or camtasia to do the recording.  FSRecorder video doesn't record sounds, correct?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

That's correct, no sound, but you can replay the flight with the windows sound recorder going and record a .wav that you can dub into your video with Adobe Premiere, Windows movie maker, etc.

Don't forget about ShadowPlay, if you install the Nvidia GeForce Experience with your video drivers you can use ShadowPlay which amazingly affects performance very little. It records sounds too (and the mouse cursor?) but the videos will fill up your disk in a hurry. I couldn't get them into Adobe Premiere without converting them to .wmv with Windows movie maker first which seemed to forfeit a lot of the quality, they were amazing in Media player though straight out of ShadowPlay.

Ok...I'll give it a try.

Gregg Seipp