Sign in to follow this  
Slick9

777 training doc from V Australia...

Hi all,

I was looking for something pertaining to the 777 (can't remember what now) and I came across this 777 simulator training document from V Australia. I don't know anything about this organization, but I started reading the document and I am finding/learning some new interesting things about flying the 777. Just thought I'd throw it out here for anyone who is looking to learn more about the 777.

http://www.redskyventures.org/doc/general_aviation_resources/SOP-Practices-And-Techniques-1.9.HL_ExVirginOz.pdf

Richard

Thanks Richard!

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

I'm slow today - I just figured out this is Virgin Australia Airlines.  You're welcome Ivan, I'm enjoying reading and learning...

Richard

"Slow down, enjoy the emergency"

...LOL< great reading, cheers.

spacer.png

A veritable gold mine of extremely useful info. Fun to read and should clear up (hopefully) some of my bad habits :blush: . Thanks mucho!!!

Steve

Steve Corzine

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Love 8.10 - Defuelling: If you are ever required to de-fuel the aircraft, best of luck to you.

Good catch Richard!

i7 8770K @ 4.7Ghz + Corsair H100i GTX  Water Cooler - 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz - NVidia RTX 2070 XC 8Gb - ACER X34 Predator IPS GSYNC 3440x1440 Monitor - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370H - 2 x Samsung SSD Pro 512Gb  - 1 x Samsung EVO 1Tb - Win 10 Pro 64  21H2 - MSFS

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

Howdy All

I'm glad you like the Practices & Techniques document. I came to V Australia (now Virgin Australia International) as the first 777 pilot and the first Check Captain in June 2006. We had just started training CRFO's (Cruise Relief First Officers, or Second Officers); the training was being conducted by Boeing and left a lot to be desired in terms of operational experience. The first version(s) of this document was called "Common Errors" but it has morphed over the years into what it is now.

Many of the discussion items in the document started as posts on www.infinidim.org (and vice versa). These days I tend to write more on Infinidim and then take across relevant items to more "official" documentation.

Apart from P&T, there is also an EICAS/ECL document which describes the pilots procedures implemented to manage the interrelationships between the two systems, which you might find interesting reading. Although much of what is described in there relates to two crew procedures, but the general techniques of NNM handling across the EICAS/ECL systems will hold true.

It's late here and I'm off early in the morning - but I'll put current copies of the P&T and EICAS/ECL documents onto Infinidim and link into here when I get to LA on Saturday morning (LA time).

By the way ... 5 days NEVER seemed like such a long time :)

Regards Ken Pascoe

P.S. Now that I have posting access - any idea why I can't change my signature for another week or so?

P.S. Now that I have posting access - any idea why I can't change my signature for another week or so?

That always confused me, honestly, especially because signatures are required in some subforums (to include this one).

Regardless, thanks for sharing that.

Kyle Rodgers

Ken - this is a great document.  Reading through it makes me feel like I have an IP sitting on the flight deck giving me pointers. I'll definitely be checking your other pieces out on Infinidim when you put them there.  Appreciate you sharing the knowledge!!

Richard

Ken - I just read your story about almost being left behind in Hong Kong back when you were a second officer on a 747-400 flight. Priceless.... :lol:  Very entertaining read...

I highly recommend this and the story at the second link in which Captain Ken talks about a 777 flight he commanded from Abu Dahbi to Sydney (Suffice it to say he had some weight issues due to extreme temps)

http://www.infinidim.org/are-you-ready-to-close-doors-captain

http://www.infinidim.org/performance-limited-takeoff

Richard

Hi Ken,

are you guys still conducting simulator training at CAE in Silverwater (Sydney)?

PS: thanks for your invaluable input here....it's been a long time coming.

i7 8770K @ 4.7Ghz + Corsair H100i GTX  Water Cooler - 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz - NVidia RTX 2070 XC 8Gb - ACER X34 Predator IPS GSYNC 3440x1440 Monitor - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370H - 2 x Samsung SSD Pro 512Gb  - 1 x Samsung EVO 1Tb - Win 10 Pro 64  21H2 - MSFS

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

Great stuff Ken, great stuff!!! I've even seen a picture of a B1 Bomber that was refueled incorrectly sitting w/ the gear in the air.

I also read "managing the mass". I'll be trying out your pointers tomorrow. 180 (flaps 5 speed ) to about one dot above the glide slope intercept then gear down at the intercept and if the speed is not building up Carry 180 to 1500 feet AGL, then gear down and flaps 20 and reduce to about VRef+5 at 1000 feet AGL flaps 25 or 30 If the speed starts building after the intercept, then I'll go w/ flaps 15 for increased drag.

My main problem now is that I tend to be at 160 at the intercept, and I carry that speed down to 1000 feet, but it looks like that would screw up ATC's separation requirements.

Richard