Sign in to follow this  
thannyd

744v2 variations

Still no specific answer.... 

So I'll ask the specific question... (and hope if they want to 'sneak peek' the answer)

Will the 747-400M be modelled? (Side cargo door)

561540442_4256835397.jpg

747%20combi%20flat%20bed_tcm541-464072.j

Will the 747-400M be modelled?

My bet would be no, but I could be wrong. Despite having 61 built, it seems like it would be a little too obscure to have wide appeal (and therefore sales).

Kyle Rodgers

Looking purely at the external model it's just a 747-400BCF (747-400 converted to cargo) with the windows 'unplugged' and no nose door, which are emerging more and more with cargo airlines, so 60+ and increasing.

Looking purely at the external model it's just a 747-400BCF (747-400 converted to cargo) with the windows 'unplugged' and no nose door, which are emerging more and more with cargo airlines, so 60+ and increasing.

There's not a single BCF with a nose door, and it might visually look like a BCF with "unplugged" windows, but it's not. PMDG won't do a visual model only. My bet is they wont do it. I would love it though.

sig1.png
sig2.png

Looking forward on the new B748F.

There Version 1 modeling is not looking bad..........

nipp748f_zpsab03f8d1.png

Kin M.

(Klax)

PMDG won't do a visual model only.

The 747-8X released in January 2010 is an exterior model only. So PMDG has done it in the past. Will they do it now?

Will they do it now?

No they won't. They've pretty much confirmed that they stepped away from that kind of stuff a while ago. (that's also the reason why the turboprop Dash 8 is on hold.)

No they won't. They've pretty much confirmed that they stepped away from that kind of stuff a while ago. (that's also the reason why the turboprop Dash 8 is on hold.)

Really. How are those two issues related, if not by the intention to focus available manhours on core products, i.e. fully featured airliners? To cease production of exterior model expansions is one thing but how does this play into the decision to put the Dash on ice, as this would have been a different product altogether? I thought this was a result of shifting development schedules due to the service pack taking a lot more time than anticipated.

The 747-8 seems almost like a given addition later on, in the same manner the -300ER was released after the -200LR. From a laymans perspective it looks like the project would have a similar scope and would profit from technologies created for the 777 product line.

Really. How are those two issues related?

It's a stretch, but they are. PMDG don't do "Light" products anymore, unless specifically intended.

The Dash 8 wasn't put on hold because the development timeline shifted. It was put on hold because the plane was more complex than they originally intended. The intention was to make a Light product out of it, but RSR has said that it wouldn't have been an adequate simulation of the plane. So either it would've been a half-baked add-on, or it would be something that could be picked up at some time. Hence the comparison, though not on a one-to-one basis, with the external models. PMDG has grown quite a bit since the release of the 747-400X, and not only in size.

Source: Aerosoft's Conference in Munich. You can watch the videos online.

There's not a single BCF with a nose door, and it might visually look like a BCF with "unplugged" windows, but it's not. PMDG won't do a visual model only. My bet is they wont do it. I would love it though.

I'd like to see the -400M modelled too. I don't think a Combi has been produced in FSX before so it would be an interesting new version to have.

ki9cAAb.jpg

"...,unless specificially intended"

Not sure if I can make much sense of this portion of your answer. Were the JS41 or -8 model extension ever intended to be something else than a "Light" product? Sorry for being so dense.

Source: Aerosoft's Conference in Munich. You can watch the videos online.

Hey, thanks! :)

I did actually watch the conference videos the day they were posted but have forgotten about this. It certainly makes sense to pull the plug when a product that does not evolve along the expected path.

Personally I really only want the -400, -400F, -8i and -8F. But with that being said, I would buy everything they throw at us at this time anyway. As long as it has a PMDG stamp on it. Now where's my 737 BBJ?!  :lol:

As long as there's a -400 I'll be happy. I would personally love to see the -400ER but Qantas is the only airline that has them.

And I didn't even know this variant existed...oh well.

Me too!! I thought KLM was just sticking freighters on normal gates when I went to AMS haha! The more you know....