Sign in to follow this  
OldFlyboy

a GREAT program but I am unable to network it

So far I have done the following:

1. Mapped three drives--one for location of fsx.exe, another for the fsx.cfg, and then for the flight plans

networkmap.jpg

2. Then entered the server MAC address. Got that by hovering mouse over  server while on Network in Control Panel. Then pressed the SAVE button.

3. Went to server where SimLauncher X was already installed and then copied the SimLauncherX.FSX.sdf file from ///My Documents/SimLauncherX/

4. Pasted this file in the Client PC ////My Documents/ SimLauncher X

5. Checked the Run as Admin button in Client SimLauncher.exe

6.Closed and then restarted SimLauncher X on the client. It loaded the databases and I could then see my planes, flight plans, etc.

HERE is where I got stumped: A message box pops up telling me a Batch File is required to launch fsx. I opened an Admin DOS prompt and did as described in the manual. Unfortunately, it has been years since I las used DOS so I do not remember how to save or use it.

In any event I don't care how fsx gets launched, I just wat to be able to connect SimLauncher to the flight from the client.

The program functions perfectly on the fsx PC (on separate monitor) but every time it becomes the active window sound is lost from fsx ( know about soundstream but can't use it).

Can someone write a mini-manual showing the correct way to get this program up and running on a client PC?

What I have done seems a bit clumsy even if it does almost work (emphasis on ALMOST)

Neal H.

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

The Batch contents can be copied from the manual into Notepad and saved as fsx.bat (keep an eye no extension.txt is added or remove it). However, that batch file start approach does not work at the moment, and in any case obviously requires suble permissions to be set. As far as I understand, someone is going to write a FAQ on this.

Aside from the Simulator start most of the other functions (Moving Map etc.) are working for me on the Client. BTW, there is a fourth networked drive required, the one where scenery.cfg is loacated (probably C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2 or similar for FSX).

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Thanks Michael,

I will have another go at it later today. The scenery.cfg file in FSX is located in the same folder as fsx.exe. Surprised me, I expected to find it in one of the Scenery folders. I may just delay trying to network for a few days and enjoy the program on my fsx PC.

Regards

Neal

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

There probably is a scenery.cfg file in the same folder as fsx.exe, but this is irrelevant, it's usually created during installation. The proper file being read in and modified by fsx is always under

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Flight Simulator

(or similar, I don't have fsx any longer installed). If this directoy is missing there is something wrong with your installation. This path has to be inserted into the proper field of SimLauncherX. Based on it, the scenery database should be created.

I also decided to just wait a few days with networking, I am sure Maarten will sort the issues.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Oops.  You are correct. I rechecked the folders and found the correct one in the C:\ProgramData\.....\FSX folder.

The other one is dated 2007.

One day I may get it right.

Thanks

Neal

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

I use opusfsx and followed their Network setup, its a great tut to get the network running properly.

http://www.opussoftware.co.uk/opusfsi/opusfsx_getting_started_network.htm#_Toc345068578

Also I use Drive Mapper, because no matter what I do, mapped folders gets disconnected on reboot, even with Reconnect at sign-in

http://www.freewarefiles.com/Drive-Mapper_program_41745.html

Good luck

Alex, did you really manage to start the simulator on the Server from the Client?

Kind regards, Michael

No, i didnt mentioned it was working, start batch doesnt work on my side. Sorry for the confusion...

all other network functions works fine. mapping folders, sending flight plan, Start to fly (when P3d is running) works fine.

Instruments and Radio works properly.

Starting the sim from client, thats going to be a tough one.

But to be honest, imho, that start feature isnt relevant to me. I just start prepar3d and fire up SLX on client and sync.

Good luck

Hi Alex,

okay, than I am contented it's not only me. I have most of the other network functions which I tried running as well. And, yes, starting the simulator on the server is not that big deal as long as they connect, which they do.

I still have to explore the host of functions.

Kind regards, Michael

in my case I had to add a key to registry, so windows doesnt forget mapped folders..

In Regedit, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    Create a new REG_DWORD entry named "EnableLinkedConnections"
    Set its value to 1.

Reboot after adding the registry entry.

Now mapped folders works fine...

I had networked flight work once from good ole Friday Harbor. Landed and tried moving to KLAS. No more functioning.

Maps, planes, flight plans all available but unable to get a green light.

Not going to give up yet.

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg