Sign in to follow this  
neoalx

shimmering flickering

Hello fellow simmers .

I'm having this weird problem on my fs .

I have this shimmering flickering noticeable at night , mainly on clouds and tarmac , or lights like i'm showing in the screenshot below.  Please tell me if you can see it on the jpeg file below.

It resembles the flickering of a TV when it has no image , all those white and black little dots.  Never seen this before.

I have a ATI radeon r5 graphics laptop card , tried to mess with AA , filtering , mip mapping , nothing worked.  Updated to last drivers as well.

thank you very much

33tt3s3.jpg

I'm having this weird problem on my fs .

If the shimmer or flicker you are seeing at night originated within your FS9 settings (in program) you would certainly also see the same during the day. Your problem may originating in the driver settings and how they are interacting with the FS9 graphic settings. Please check very closely to verify you have no such display issues during the day. What about dusk and dawn? If your observations about this only occurring at night are correct then I would say the problem is in how your graphics card is / or is not handling the night textures you have. That said, the clouds you see at night are the same textures as daytime. Buildings on the other hand have their own night textures. Sorry, I can't see the problem areas you have circled well enough to tell what I am looking at or looking for. I assume the upper left is cloud(?) and lower right appears to be a taxiway(?) That is all I can make out. Taxiways, runways and clouds do not use a night texture. Try to set up an example where you see this at night then change the FS9 time to day and see if it is still there.

In order to give you more specific help I (or anyone else) would need your graphic card driver setting and your FS9 graphics settings as well as the laptops monitor refresh rate.

The first thing you might look into would be to make sure that if you have AA (anti-aliasing) settings in your graphics card driver set to on then AA in FS9 should be switched off - both trying to work at the same time don't play nice.

Let us know about the things I've outlined so far and we'll go from there.

Regards,

"You may also need to reduce your mip mapping to 4 if it is above that number."

Plus one on that. I completely forgot about ATI and that!

Regards,

You're right , after some research , now i see the problem has nothing to do with flight simulator.   It must be a graphic card thing .  Still i'm only getting this pixelation in dark areas of photos or videos , hence why , i  only noticed it happening at night in fs.  Also reading here ,the fact i have a 15.6 inch screen and 1366x768 of resolution , doesn't go well.

Best

Also reading here ,the fact i have a 15.6 inch screen and 1366x768 of resolution

When you installed FS9 it scanned your hardware and should have 1366 x 768 listed as a choice in the FS9 settings and that is what you would want if you have not already done so. FS9 defaults to 800 x 600 when you install it and nowadays with the new monitors it generally looks awful. Your only problem might be that at 15.6" The GUI menus and the aircraft instruments may be impossible to read (small). Also if you have been running FS9 in the Windowed mode you might try Full screen and see if that improves the graphics and performance a bit.

One other thought, . . . . this may help, you might try accessing you monitors color, brightness and sharpness settings and lighten your brightness setting a bit. I noticed that your screen shot was much darker than most night shots I have seen or I have. It may be that the monitors screen has a problem with that much darkness. You could also fiddle with the sharpness setting to see if you get any improvement.

Regards,