Sign in to follow this  
TurboTomato

Full Italy! At last!

Hadn't tried looking for Italy in a while so did a quick google a couple of weeks back and lo and behold I found this:

http://fsxitaly.mygamesonline.org/index.php/download

Full Italian photoscenery, for free. Yes it is 2m but that's more than enough for IFR (and not bad for VFR either really), and there's an ongoing autogen project as well.

I've not had a chance to fly it much but it all seems to be there and looks very nice. Enjoy!

For this I have been waiting for years...

However it exists of 330 zipfiles ?

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Same here!

Yes it's been broken down into grids based on the never-released SIRX project. What I did was the following:

1. Used 7zip to unpack all of the folders in 4 goes (by multi-selecting 100 files in explorer and right clicking and then selecting something like 'Expand here' from what I remember). It took a bit of time but each zip file unpacked into its own folder with 'scenery' and 'texture' subfolders. I put all of these folders into a folder called 'Italy Photoscenery'.
  2. I then used the excellent Scenery Config Editor and its handy 'Generate from directory' functionality to do all of the hard work for me in scenery.cfg - all I did was select the 'Italy Photoscenery' parent folder and it creates all of the entries in scenery.cfg for the (hundreds of) subfolders.
  3. Go and fly!

For this I have been waiting for years...

expecting some night shoots as soon as humanly possible :rolleyes:

Same here!

Yes it's been broken down into grids based on the never-released SIRX project. What I did was the following:

1. Used 7zip to unpack all of the folders in 4 goes (by multi-selecting 100 files in explorer and right clicking and then selecting something like 'Expand here' from what I remember). It took a bit of time but each zip file unpacked into its own folder with 'scenery' and 'texture' subfolders. I put all of these folders into a folder called 'Italy Photoscenery'.
  2. I then used the excellent Scenery Config Editor and its handy 'Generate from directory' functionality to do all of the hard work for me in scenery.cfg - all I did was select the 'Italy Photoscenery' parent folder and it creates all of the entries in scenery.cfg for the (hundreds of) subfolders.
  3. Go and fly!

That sounds like a great solution.  I didn't see this after your original post so I've been doing one bloody file at at time.  However, the other thing is using the method above will rack up a bazillion gigs of data on my capped monthly bandwidth...(which is 300 gigs and included Netflix, and online gaming etc) so I could be in for a $$$ bill if I do this approach.

Quite a pain really.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

In terms of downloading the files - I first started off doing it the long way by downloading 1 file at a time. Obviously quite a painstaking task!

What I didn't realise is that as I have a Google account with my own Google Drive, that I had linked all of the folders to my Drive and that I have the Google Drive client on my Win7 machine (it's very well integrated - my Google Drive just shows as another drive in explorer) it would sync all of the files onto my machine while I left it on (I guess it just downloads in the background).

Over the last couple of weeks I have downloaded a large share of the 1m scenery (so far 190GB out of a total of 400GB). It is as could be expected far more detailed than the 2m scenery. Especially Northern Italy with the Alps is truly magnificient. I have posted some screenies already here on avsim in the screenshot section. I will not download more than that I guess and leave the central part of Italy in 2m resolution.

I wasn't too impressed with the 2m scenery when it comes to islands such as Sardinia and especially Sicily in the south. That's much better with the 1m scenery. Just amazing what this guy did, and all of it for free. 

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080