Sign in to follow this  
andreroskas

Approach which runway should I land?

Hi.

I've been flying an airplane on Flight Simulator X that has all the real instruments, fmc, etc.

I use a program that copys the real weather (wind direction, clouds, etc) to Flight Simulator on the current moment.

Now, I'm going to tell how I plan the FMC, if you desagree, tell me something.

I look at the real METAR, at the wind direction, and by looking at the map, If the airport only has one runway, I know in wich direction I should land.

What has been happening to me is that, I have all my plan made in the FMC, but when I am approaching and contact the ATC (the default tower which I only can contact very close to the airport), they tell me to land on the opposite direction... 

So this is my question... How am I supposed to know in which runway I should land?

Somebody told me to not program the Approach part before take off, but to plan when the Tower tells me on which runway I should land, but the thing is, that's very close to the airport, I don't have time to plan it...

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance  ^_^

You can either

1) Go with your existing flightplan which is probably more accurate than FSX is.

2) Follow the FSX ATC which at best is not fit for purpose and not get a telling off from ATC.

3) Go to a whole new level with a live ATC program

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

<<  How am I supposed to know in which runway I should land?  Somebody told me to not program the Approach part before take off, but to plan when the Tower tells me on which runway I should land, but the thing is, that's very close to the airport, I don't have time to plan it..  >>

As the other poster said, FSX ATC's not ready for prime time.  Take your chances with it, or just fly the airplane on your own with it comes time to land.

In the real world, at airports with Approach Control, you'll be told what approach to expect a long way out.  Even at towered airports, contacting them more than 5 mile out gives plenty of time to set up an approach - there aren't all that many.  With FSX...well, you just pays you money and you takes your chances.

FSX stock ATC will give you approach instructions while a long way from the airport if you are flying an IFR plan.  Once you are given approach instructions you should have the option of requesting a different approach. 

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

If using FSX ATC (which I don't), They generally will issue vectors for a specific approach around 50 miles out or even further than that sometimes. You should already be well established in your descent at that point. That should be ample time to plan for the given approach. When I used it, I would use the world map function in FSX to obtain the correct ILS frequency, and runway course. I then set up the MCP,  tuned the NAV radios, and set up the INIT REF page on the FMC with the sim paused. That should allow you to stay ahead of the airplane, so to speak. Regards

In FSX......the trick I use in the PMDG is to plan my app already to the runway...hoping it is the active according to the wind direction on the map.....then start the descend, but also put in the ATIS freq. to know the active runway. Switching every few min. of the descend. Should get the ATIS at 40miles...If it changes, enter a holding, then plan the new app for the runway. ATIS only works around 40 miles off the airport...which the top of descend it like 80 miles.....just assuming. Still better than the 20 mile tower contact distance in FSX where it is already very close.             

Or you can just land ignoring the ATC screaming at you "You are not cleared to land, clear the runway." For every 5 sec = =.......