Sign in to follow this  
Gedas957

Intel Core I5 - 4210M

Hi, everybody

In near future I'm planing to buy a laptop with Intel Core I5 - 4210M procesor. So maybe some of you have this type of procesor and using it with FSX and can tell your opinion about this procesor? That would be very helpfull :D

I don't have that CPU, but looking at the specs, it looks like it would produce "average" performance, if I may use that word loosely. In other words, it should be playable as long as you don't have a hundred add-ons, particularly textures and scenery (though complex weather engines might cause issues as well).

For FSX you need a processor that you can overclock to at least 4.3 Ghz

With all cores active, that CPU runs at only 2.6 GHz, which is slow for FSX.  I know it will Turbo Boost 3.2 GHz, but at that speed only one core will actually be running, and that is still on the slow side for FSX.  Bartbear is correct, you need a really fast CPU to get the best performance from FSX.  Multiple cores running as close to or above 4 GHz work best, Intel CPU's seem to work better than AMD CPU's.  Also be mindful of the video chipset, Nvidia still seems to have an edge with FSX, but low end Nvidia cards will be slow to render the images.  ATI comes in second place and I think that Intel graphics chips, unless something has changed, should be avoided.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Even these days, FSX on a laptop is just not a realistic expectation IMHO.

Unless you are going to run it bare bones of course......

For FSX you need a processor that you can overclock to at least 4.3 Ghz

It's all about the needs of the user and the compromises he wants to make and even with a 4.3Ghz processor you're going to be begging for more and mind you, this is coming from a guy with a 4790K.

To the OP: I owned a Q9450, which was slightly slower than yours and with water at low and the scenery at max (second autogen slider on 2nd highest) and traffic at 100% in Ultimate Traffic 2, I was able to get on average between 25-30FPS with A2A and RealAir planes when I would stay away from major airports. I had add-ons installed like OpusFSX, EZdok, FTX Global, REX 4 and Ultimate Traffic 2.  FTX regions like Pacific North-West would lower my FPS with about 3-5fps.

People will always advise you to get better, but I just want to make it clear to you that you can still expect to get a lot of fun out of FSX, as long as you adjust your expectations and are willing to make compromises. Let's be honest, if you want to follow people's advices and still insist on getting a laptop, then you're looking at LOT more than you're willing to pay for that Core I5 - 4210M laptop. Personally I wouldn't suggest to anyone to buy a laptop if this person is looking for the best performance, desktops are just way more powerful.