Sign in to follow this  
Randall

Looking for another plane

RealAir Duke B60 V2 or the upcoming RealAir Turbine Duke V2... satisfaction guaranteed.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Will probably end up with the Majestic Dash but still looking at some of these others.

Randall

A2A Boeing 377. The only well-made propliner for FSX. With the "Captain of the Ship" addon you get an entire virtual crew to help you out. She is a complex beast, but your flight engineer is there to help you if you like. The engines are complex and require careful handling to avoid fouling, overheating or damage. Cruising at 325 knots TAS, you'll get where you want to go quickly, too! :)

Hi Randall

I have all the aircraft mentioned above and, like you, being someone who often just wants to 'fire up and go', the Twin Otter Extended is one of my favourites. The Q400, however, is another very firm favourite of mine and it is also actually pretty easy to 'jump into and fly', taking just a couple of minutes to start the engines once you have learned the sequence. It can be hand flown if you wish but if you want to immerse yourself more deeply in it's very accurate systems, that option is available to you too. Furthermore then internal and external modelling is excellent, the flight dynamics are accurate and the sound is nothing short of awesome!

With regard to the other aircraft, the PMDG J41, although a very good addon, seems to spend a lot more time sitting in my hanger for some reason, than either the Twin Otter or Q400, but that might be just my personal feeling towards this aircraft which I can't really get interested in. I would however also strongly recommend the beautifully modelled Flight 1 King Air, as an excellent aircraft which can be as easy or as complex as you want and, although smaller than any of the fore mentioned, I would also consider the Real Air Beech Duke which is available in piston and turboprop variants both of which are excellent.

My main advice to you, however, is to think seriously before you rule out the Majestic Q400 - it is IMO one of the best turboprop simulations available, if not THE best, and although it is a step up from the Twin Otter, that step can be as small or as large as you like. I for one love it!

Bill

Read your post but failed to acknowledge my appreciation for your thoughtful reply,  Very helpful.  Still wondering if the Dash will be too involved for my taste but it's at the top of the list.

Randall

No problem, you're welcome! It's good, at least, that there is now no shortage of quality turboprops for FSX, but sometimes I guess too many choices can be a problem too!

Just to add to your dilemma, another turboprop worth considering is the Flight 1 ATR-72, which is perhaps not quite as complex system-wise as the Q400. Although this is basically a product which was developed for FS9, it is still a very good addon for FSX and one that I also enjoy flying although the Q400 would still be my favourite. I would also support Stan's earlier post regarding the Flysimware Cessna 402, which is another very good product particularly when combined with the excellent Skysong Soundworks Cessna 421 sounds (not quite the correct combination if you are obsessional about such things but great sounds nevertheless!). I would however comment that the Cessna 402, though very good, would be IMO something of a step down from the Twin Otter, so it does not really fit your requirement for a 'step up' from the Aerosoft product.

Hope that your eventual decision, whatever it is, turns out to be the best one for you!

Bill

Thanks again, Bill.  Lots of choices indeed.  Might consider a Kingair (Flight 1 or upcoming Miviz) as a transition before the Dash.  Pretty sure I will eventually get the Dash as I've been watching training videos on it and it indeed looks fun if not a bit daunting.

Thanks again everyone.

Randall