Sign in to follow this  
diamondstar

Upgrade to GTX980 or GTX780Ti from GTX760 / worth it?

So an upgrade to a gtx 980 would be usefull? Even using fsx?

In my opinion a gtx 980 is overkill for fsx a gtx 970 is enough.

I currently run 4790k@4.9GHz with a GTX 780Ti-sc in surround @ 5040x1050.  Would a 980 make a dramatic difference to FSX? I only have 60hz monitors.

Thanks

Rick S.

I currently run 4790k@4.9GHz with a GTX 780Ti-sc in surround @ 5040x1050.  Would a 980 make a dramatic difference to FSX? I only have 60hz monitors.

Thanks

Rick S.

No , inside 1fps but before christmas the 980 8gb is coming.

Okay, Thanks Westman.

Rick S.

Hello, I am waiting for the GTX 980 TI, do you know when it could be released?

I've got a 780ti and very happy with it, I'm driving 3 27 inch screens at 5760x1280 resolution and seeing 30+ fps in x-plane 10.30

I have gone from a 660ti to a 970, I am a P3d user and the upgrade has been significant, in FSX GPU upgrades never really gave much benefit except better AA ability at higher realutions etc etc

So as has been said, if you solely use FSX then i wouldn't bother

yes, no matter what any one says, I know fsx is cpu dependant, but a 980 gpu will run your addons better, because all the addon companies know about the cpu thing with fsx, so they try to write the code to use more of the gpu and let fsx use the cpu, hence forth , yes a little better FPS

but what NATK50 said is right, 980 is overkill, so 970 is still better than an old card, I still use 780, it is just behind a 970 a little bit but still does good for me.

in fact , thanks for talking about the 970 & 980, now Im starting to look more at them.

That will be perfect for a 4k monitor but an expensive Happy Christmas!

:Whistle:

To all the people who pretend in this forum that the GTX 980 is better than the GTX 780 ti, how do you know that the 980 is better. I mean I would be really interested if somebody has objectively done benchmark testing between those to cards in FSX or Prepar3d in the exact same scenario. I want to know because I'm really hesitating between those two cards and the 780ti is now really cheap. The thing is that a lot of benchmarks between those two cards actually show that there is no big difference in frames for most games, but there is actually a big difference in energy consumption and noise in favor of the 980 and a price advantage for the 780ti. And  yes, you get 1 GB more with the 980. But then the 780 ti has a much larger memory bus with more net bandwith and this is something which actually does impact frames, this is why I don't want to read opinions, but I want facts to make the right decision. If anybody can help, I think most folks here would be really interested.  

Thanks, at least here are some interesting objective facts. The GTX 980 definetely has better figures on a lot of points BUT the 780 has 192 texture mapping units and the 980 only 128. The 780 has a 384bit wide memory bus and the 980 only a 256bit one. The higher memory clock speed from the 980 is not high enough to match the memory bandwith from the 780. But then again, the 980 has a singificaly higher pixel rate. We really need FSX/P3D benchmark comparisons to see what that really means in FPS! Before that, it is not clear which advantage from what card will really impact on those simulators which cannot be compared with modern game graphic engines from other games. And to all the people concerned with memory for multiscreen or 4K scenarios I can only say that FSX as P3D are 32 bit games, they only can take advantage from a maximum of 4 GB, they just cannot handle more memory. The only simulator in the market taking advantage of more memory is X-Plane 10 which is a 64BIT game if you have done your online upgrade or did get the latest box version.   

I will hiijack this thread instead of starting my own as its similar question..

I am running p3d. running single screen at 1080p and currently have a 3gb gtx 580.

I can get a second hand 780 off ebay for about the same price as a new 970. a 980 is out of my budget. Which card would you guys recommend? The benchmarks are difficult to decide as the 970 is more efficient and faster clocked, but 780 still seems to eat it for breakfast.