Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

How stable in Pitch is you 744?

It's been a long time since I last had this PMDG installed on my rig, so, I would like to ask any of you that still use it for a pitch stability test.

1) Set weather in FSX to CAVOK, zero wind etc... - Clear Skies option, if I can recall...

2) Set a flight situation with mid GW, stabilize at FL150, choose your speed, and

3) disconnect AP and AT

verify the aircraft is flying straight and level and then, probably using the keyboard to avoid any unwanted roll inputs, push or pull your "yoke" and return it to neutral.

It doesn't have to be a huge deflection, just a bit.

4) The 744 should enter a series of pitch oscillations of higher and shorter length, but I am interested in the longer term oscillation   - Phugoid. 

- Does it return to a stable flight path, at more or less the same IAS and Alt? How long does it take to reach stability again?

- Does it start diverging? In this divergence, does it enter the stick shaker region or the VMO range ?

- Does it converge, but towards a totally different Alt or IAS?

5) Could you repeat the test, this turn around not touching the yoke but only changing the stabilizer settings ( up or down )

6) And... finally, what about when, without changing the stabilizer or the yoke, you change power, by increasing or decreasing it?

Thx for any answers ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...