Sign in to follow this  
tommchowat

Split second load causing crash

Hi Guys,

Had this half way across the Atlantic yesterday and just coming into Germany today, the latter occasion causing a CTD. Yesterday, about once every five minutes the screen would go black and the loading dialogue would appear at 100% for a split second, same screen that you see when initially loading a flight. This evening it happened again, then I got a fatal error. I have no idea what it's loading for a split second or what it's doing. Does anyone know?

Someone said it could be the time sync feature of FSUIPC which causes the refresh, but I've had a registered copy for years and it never used to happen. Also, in the middle of a flight, if I disconnect from vPilot, then reconnect, the same short load screen appears. Something to do with traffic? No idea.

Appreciate any help.

Have you checked your error in the Event Viewer to see what the faulting module is.  That might

help to give a clue as to what's going on.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

It's d3d9.dll. But that's always the faulting module when I try to ALT+ENTER out of FSX or sometimes when I quit out of it. It's the action of this loading screen that causes the d3d9.dll crash, so I'd prefer it if the load didn't happen!

It looks like it's caused by ENB or any other third party mod that modifies color/brightness/saturation, it's the same file released by Boris Vorontsov that I use for ENB in skyrim and while most people don't seem to have issues with it, it does have a reputation of causing crashes for some people. You could try a different version.

It's the action of this loading screen that causes the d3d9.dll crash, so I'd prefer it if the load didn't happen!

But that doesn't automatically mean that d3d9.dll isn't to blame. One could also say that d3d9.dll is supposed to handle it.

I know it's ENB that causes the physical crash, but what causes ENB to do it is the refresh of the screen while it's reloading whatever it's trying to reload. That's what I'm trying to stop!

I just switched to Sweet FX which I like the look of, so hopefully whenever it chooses to reload something it won't actually crash anymore. Would be nice to know what the loading is all about though.

d3d9.dll is the one that crashes and d3d9.dll has a reputation of some crashes for people. It's just a matter of time before something else causes another crash. You're fooling yourself when you're trying to solve the load issue to avoid the crash, instead of tackling the real problem and mind you, I'm saying that as an IT professional for many years.

Personally I don't get why people are so fascinated with ENB in FSX, all I've seen so far by looking at FSX videos with ENB is unrealistic sky colours, overexposed wings and clouds, cockpits that are way too dark, trees and meadows that look so dark and have such odd colours that it looks like a nuclear attack took place, etc.

In my opinion people are much better off by creating a monitor profile and using that instead. A good monitor and the appropriate profile should be able to adjust contrast, color, saturation and brightness to acceptable levels, without affecting FSX in any way.

Just my 2 cents.

But in my opinion, it's the loading that causes the crash! d3d9.dll will cause a crash most times when I tab out of FSX, change to windowed mode, sometimes even just quit in a normal way. If I can stop this loading then it won't cause that module to crash the program. I'm doing a flight now with Sweet FX and I haven't had it... Yet.

But in my opinion, it's the loading that causes the crash! d3d9.dll will cause a crash most times when I tab out of FSX, change to windowed mode, sometimes even just quit in a normal way. If I can stop this loading then it won't cause that module to crash the program. I'm doing a flight now with Sweet FX and I haven't had it... Yet.

Everything in your main FSX directory will load when you first start up FSX and, if you use the ENB module, the d3d9.dll will try to load too. A lot of people have gotten the ENB Series module to work but it still causes crashes occasionally (and causes many anomalies!!). I have bought Shade for 10 bucks and the author of that program has an enb.ini sample he has included with that program. I do not think it is the d3d9.dll module causing your crashes but the enb.ini. You just have to find an .ini that works.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10