Sign in to follow this  
B-7

Which 737NG?

Hello everyone. Long story short, I'm eager to return to the virtual skies after a long break. I have a real history with the PMDG 737NG, but that was long ago, approx. 2010, and since then a lot of things have changed.

The question is to those who tried and flew the both PMDG and iFly model: what is the real difference? Which one has more realistic systems simulation and flight model? Graphically, especially in relation to the virtual cockpit, iFly beats PMDG, but that's not what is important for me.

Thanks in advance.

I have both, although I use iFly 737 in FS9. Overall, the PMDG NGX has (IMHO) more realistic systems and sounds. Graphically, I think (and I think most people on the forum will agree) the NGX looks WAYYY better than the iFly model. The iFly model is just too low-res for my standard (especially the exterior model), and the VC is kinda cartoonish. The PMDG also has a proper HUD that changes with your head movement. The PMDG also comes with a ridiculous amount of documentation... a couple thousand pages.

One area where the iFly version is better though, is performance. From what I heard, the iFly 737 gets better framerate in FSX than PMDG's, although the PMDG NGX runs extremely well for the complexity of the systems. Another thing to note is that the iFly version has a weather radar, whereas the PMDG does not.

Overall, I like both planes, but I feel like the PMDG NGX is better.

EDIT: And that was the moment when Phil realized this was the FS9 forum *facepalm*  :lol:

I have both, although I use iFly 737 in FS9. Overall, the PMDG NGX has (IMHO) more realistic systems and sounds. Graphically, I think (and I think most people on the forum will agree) the NGX looks WAYYY better than the iFly model. The iFly model is just too low-res for my standard (especially the exterior model), and the VC is kinda cartoonish. The PMDG also has a proper HUD that changes with your head movement. The PMDG also comes with a ridiculous amount of documentation... a couple thousand pages.

One area where the iFly version is better though, is performance. From what I heard, the iFly 737 gets better framerate in FSX than PMDG's, although the PMDG NGX runs extremely well for the complexity of the systems. Another thing to note is that the iFly version has a weather radar, whereas the PMDG does not.

Overall, I like both planes, but I feel like the PMDG NGX is better.

EDIT: And that was the moment when Phil realized this was the FS9 forum *facepalm*  :lol:

To your defense, you did mention FS9 in the first sentence. From what I read in the past, you were better off with the iFly in FS9 and the PMDG in FSX.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

In FS9 its no contest, the iFly by a nautical mile.

In FSX its closer, the newly updated iFly is very, very  close.

In P3D its the iFly since PMDG hasn't an entry.

Overall iFly wins.   :lol:  :rolleyes:

Funny how things work on different systems. I get better performance with the NGX than with the iFly737, but to the OP, you can't go wrong with either or.

iFly has my respect even though I exclusively fly the NGX

Reik Namreg

Which one has more realistic systems simulation and flight model?

OK being serious now for FS9 use.

iFly has amongst others:-

Integrated Approach Navigation (IAN)

Required Navigation Performance/Actual Navigation Performance (RNP/ANP)

GPWS Terrain Display

Vertical Situation Display VSD)

Fail Operational Autopilot  System

Integration with Topcat

Integration with Professional Flight Planner X (PFPX)

A Configuration Manager allowing choice of engines, eyebrow windows winglets, MCP's, short field performance, HUD, etc. etc.

The other main advantage is your dollar buys the whole shebang.  Yes ...

700ER

900ER

BBJ

BBJ2 and

BBJ3 variants.

Hope this helps your decision making.

Think you very much guys, the decision is made. I've purchased the iFly package, installing it now.

installing it now.

Please register and join the Flight1 iFly forum.  Then download/install the very important 3.2.1 Service Pack found under topic:-

iFly Jets - The 737NG for FS2004 Product Support

only then will you be good to go.

Hope you enjoy the iFly experience but don't forget to read the Tutorial document, and its Supplement,  both located under your All Programs/iFly Jets - The 737NG for FS2004/ menu.

Forgot to mention the iFly has in excess of 880 liveries for FS9, most 'official' by Colin Low, which can be found and explored at:-

http://library.flight1.net/?cat=4

Both Navigraph and NavDataPro (Aerosoft) provide AIRAC data for the iFly.  Various plans are offered by them.

The iFly is also supported By FS2Crew and Multi Crew Experience should you wish to control your co-pilot by voice.

FS2Crew also offers button control which for some of us is the better option.  FS2crew is a must for the iFly 737NG.  Hope a button option will be made for the upcoming iFly 744 model.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Don't have the IFly version but as a run/taxi certified 737 A&P mechanic, the PMDG NGX comes very close to approximating the look and feel of the real thing. Regards

Don't have the IFly version but as a run/taxi certified 737 A&P mechanic, the PMDG NGX comes very close to approximating the look and feel of the real thing. Regards

You should look at the iFly model.  Not to take anything away from PMDG (as I've sat in a real NG as well) those elongated cockpit forward windows to accommodate the HUD is not what the real NG looks like in the cockpit.  Yes the textures are more high def in the VC but when it comes down to exactly replicating the look of the NG cockpit iFly nailed it.   Many have asked PMDG to offer an option for the VC for those that wanted a more accurate representation of the cockpit.  An option for the HUD and one without meaning the forward window struts can be brought back to normal to better reflect the real cockpit.  PMDG took the Windows 8/Metro approach and piled everything in with no option to turn it off so it looks anatomically incorrect.  iFly get's the gold in how the cockpit looks on top of that they offer a weather radar.  PMDG did a great job in many other areas.  To each their own.  For those with FS9/P3Dv2 there's only one option and for once two great products are somewhat equals in their own right.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Please...

I couldn't ask for such help, thanks for the great introduction, especially for the, should I say, vital SP — I've got the PFD/ND back up  ^_^

One thing is not really clear for me: is it safe to remove the preinstalled configurations from “my fleet” section of the configuration manager? I've no use for the “normal” panel versions, and, more than that, I prefer the 737NG with both the winglets and the “eyebrows”.