Sign in to follow this  
fjsharry

Quickly question - OOM and physical memory

I just saw the message during when i flight to destinaiton airport, computer said "your computer has run 

out of available memory", and i research about this VAS problem. 

And i curious if i buy more physical memory to upgrade my computer memory to 16GB can be avoid OOM ?( I still using 8g)

Thanks

OK. A simple search would have found all your answers you are looking for, as VAS has been beaten to death on here, but because I am in a nice mood I will give you a rundown here.

As Oliver said above, physical memory will make no difference to FSX once you pass 4gb, however it will allow FSX to use the maximum it can by allowing external programs to have a bite of the pie.

VAS on the other hand is virtual memory. A 32bit program will have a maximum of 4gb VAS on a 64 bit OS, less on a 32 bit OS, hence the comment above about a 64bit operating system. FSX is a 32bit program that was built in 2006 and unfortunately that is the way it will stay.

Now there are some ways of working round it. The options are as follows;

1. Turn off scenery that you are not using. Photoscenery will load even if you do not fly over it, airports you fly over load into memory and have trouble unloading.

2. Monitor your VAS usage, when it gets high save your flight, reload FSX and your flight and land safely.

3. Use DX10 with the aid of Steve's DX10 Fixer, this will make FSX use you graphics card for some of the work (short explanation).

4. Move to P3D and use DX11 (see above)

5. Move to Xplane 10 64bit.

but because I am in a nice mood I will give you a rundown here.

Starting to sound like me  :P

Kyle Rodgers

Hey thank you Craig, i knew has some topic was talk about it..hahahha. 

And the answer is what ever how much memory i got the FSX can only using up to 4Gb.

Also i prefer option 5 when PMDG is real release their plane~

OK. A simple search would have found all your answers you are looking for, as VAS has been beaten to death on here, but because I am in a nice mood I will give you a rundown here.

As Oliver said above, physical memory will make no difference to FSX once you pass 4gb, however it will allow FSX to use the maximum it can by allowing external programs to have a bite of the pie.

VAS on the other hand is virtual memory. A 32bit program will have a maximum of 4gb VAS on a 64 bit OS, less on a 32 bit OS, hence the comment above about a 64bit operating system. FSX is a 32bit program that was built in 2006 and unfortunately that is the way it will stay.

Now there are some ways of working round it. The options are as follows;

1. Turn off scenery that you are not using. Photoscenery will load even if you do not fly over it, airports you fly over load into memory and have trouble unloading.

2. Monitor your VAS usage, when it gets high save your flight, reload FSX and your flight and land safely.

3. Use DX10 with the aid of Steve's DX10 Fixer, this will make FSX use you graphics card for some of the work (short explanation).

4. Move to P3D and use DX11 (see above)

5. Move to Xplane 10 64bit.

And the answer is what ever how much memory i got the FSX can only using up to 4Gb.

That is part of the answer, a more complete answer is in the Introduction document pg 0.00.30 "VAS management - stopping out of memory errors." There is a good description of the problem and technical reference, a link to download and use ProcessExplorer to monitor your VAS usage and about nine recommendations on how you might better manage your virtual memory loading.

Dan Downs KCRP

I followed all the recommendations from the PMDG manual, installed DX10 Fixer, always turn off all scenery sets not used, but I just cannot land the T7 on any addon scenery without the FSUIPC low memory alarm, extremely low framerates after landing, or simply <<<OOM>>> and frustration.

I hear about people who take long flights 9-12-14 hours with the T7 and never (!!!) suffered a OOM. How is that? Can you show me your sliders?

I really cannot believe that, after loading a T7 in any scenery default or not, someone still have more than 1,5GB in RAM.

There should be something different between their computers and ours, the OOMers. Could it be the BIOS settings? Affinity mask? HT or not HT?

Regards,

Heron Domingues, Jr

Intel Core I7 10700KF, 3.80GHz (5.10GHz Turbo), Gigabyte B460, RAM 32GB, Corsair 750W, GPU Palit RTX 3060, Windows 10 Pro 64., P3Dv5.4.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

There should be something different between their computers and ours, the OOMers. Could it be the BIOS settings? Affinity mask? HT or not HT?

None of what you listed matters. It's all about what you're telling the sim to load into the memory buffer. As soon as you load whatever piece of information (be it add-on airports, land class, photo-real imagery, an aircraft, a texture, auto-gen...one of the biggest hitters, btw) that puts it over 32 bits...BOOM...done.

What you listed will only affect the speed at which it handles that loading. My guess is that you have a ton of add-on scenery, and have the auto-gen slider up pretty high. If you're using a weather program, drop the clouds textures down. That should help both the memory issue along with the frame rate issue (two separate issues: OOMs are caused by overrunning available memory; frame rates are affected by slow processing).

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Kyle,

From another post in this Forum, I've read about your scenery set description and, except for UTX, is very similar to mine. My autogen slider is kept in the middle and the others follow PMDG directions. My T7 flights don't survive 2hs trips. My next step will be explore my BIOS using Word Not Allowed's guide. Anyway, thanks for your recommendations.

Regards,

Heron Domingues, Jr

Intel Core I7 10700KF, 3.80GHz (5.10GHz Turbo), Gigabyte B460, RAM 32GB, Corsair 750W, GPU Palit RTX 3060, Windows 10 Pro 64., P3Dv5.4.

Hi Kyle,

From another post in this Forum, I've read about your scenery set description and, except for UTX, is very similar to mine. My autogen slider is kept in the middle and the others follow PMDG directions. My T7 flights don't survive 2hs trips. My next step will be explore my BIOS using Word Not Allowed's guide. Anyway, thanks for your recommendations.

Regards,

As the others said.....it has nothing to do with hardware.

Not with BIOS either.

Only about what addons you combine into FSX.

Unless you have that Microsoft Windows OOM leak.

There is a fix for that one!

In one of the VAS/OOM threads around here I gave some feedback on VAS usage on my system:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/451692-777f-vas-hopeless/

Never used more than 2.5GB VAS from KJFK to LOWW !!!

Rob Robson

Thank you 777 simmer for the information you posted very good information and a must read. The manual has a lot of detailed information as mentioned is a big help. If you exit airplanes while in flight and do fly byes can cause FSX to lock  up, stop responding or crash to the desk top. Especially on long flights.

Great thread! And with the correct title: "77FVAS-Hopeless".

Incredible the ORBX conclusion. And exactly after the 1.5 Vector upgrade my problems started. I can remember early this year flying from commercials KMCO, KMIA and KTPA to TJSJ and TBPB and back across Caribbean storms, without OOMs.

I won't abandon my ORBX investment, nor the T7. I am sure my FSX is not clogged with photoscenery sets and, as said before, I turn off all addons not used in the flight. Big regions I have are all from ORBX. So, there must be an answer buried there, which I hope I will discover.

At least you could mirror my frustration against all the posts in that excellent thread.

Regards,

Heron Domingues, Jr

Gentlemen,

I have news for you. After spending a whole afternoon reading the material some of you recommended, I have just completed a flight from FlightBeam KSFO to FlightBeam KPHX without a single FSUIPC low memory alarm.

Things I've done before the flight:

1. DX10 Fixer with Steve Profile.

2. REX Texture Direct with the lowest settings possible. I did not change my last random theme.

3. Scenery Config Editor: turned off ALL ORBX-FTX airports. My other addon airports were already turned off,l except KSFO and KPHX.

4. Deleted the facilities and scenery indexes and shader folders: C:\USERS\<name>\APPDATA\LOCAL\MICROSOFT\FSX\===> delete all SHADER folders here <====

(Don't worry about the SHADER folders because this is cache and FSX will rebuild them at each session you start - read the AVSIM CTD Guide)

5. FTX GLOBAL VECTOR Configuration Tool:

5.1 (Transportation): Turned off Highways, Secondary and Tertiary Roads, and Railways.

5.2 (Water Features) Turned off Small Rivers & Streams, Frozen surface.

5.3 (Various Features): Turned off Beaches, Golf Courses, Parks, Power Lines, and Wetlands.

APPLY

6. BIOS: Turned off Hyperthreading (my computer is dedicated to FSX, which does not need HT)

7. Confirmed in FSX.CFG BP=0 and AffinityMask=14 (This depends on the number of cores/threads of the CPU)

That's it guys

Regards,

Heron Domingues, Jr

There you go, well done.

FSX just is not one of those games you fire up and it works.

It is old and complex and one needs to invest some time to get a basic understanding of how things work.

And then more time to tinker and test different addons and tweaks and fixes, etc....

That is what makes it a hobby more than a game if you ask me.

Rob Robson