Sign in to follow this  
Adrian West

Orbx Shoreham without FTX EU England?

Hi. I have recently switched from FS9 to FSX and am looking for a scenery for a suitable replacement for Just Flight's wonderful scenery for Shoreham EGKA. Shoreham is my closest small airfield, and probably one of the most beautiful in the UK. I have discovered Orbx' Shoreham scenery, but I do not have FTX EU England - and to be honest I have no intention of installing that base scenery. I tend to use aircraft that fly quite high, so I don't need all the detail for flying low and slow in a Cessna for example. I know that you are supposed to have the England scenery installed before you install Shoreham, but I would like to know whether the scenery can theoretically be used on its own? What would I lose? Are there features that wouldn't work?

Thanks.

It will install and work but I think a few features will be missing, not least the blending of the coverage area,

Thanks Glenn. I am not worried about blending the coverage area. I will probably buy Ground Environment X Europe to improve the ground textures, having been very pleased with the FS9 version. This should make the transition between the Shoreham scenery and the surrounding textures less stark.

Can anybody be specific about which features will be missing? Has anybody tried using Orbx Shoreham as a standalone?

Thanks.

Trying not to hijack the OP's Q...

I'd also be interested in hearing from anyone regarding ORBX scenery without EU England etc, I have Global, Vector & OpenLC Eu and really want Southampton but cant be bothered using EU England with it...

You'll probably have elevation issues as well.

Mike

Thanks Glenn. I am not worried about blending the coverage area. I will probably buy Ground Environment X Europe to improve the ground textures, having been very pleased with the FS9 version. This should make the transition between the Shoreham scenery and the surrounding textures less stark.

Can anybody be specific about which features will be missing? Has anybody tried using Orbx Shoreham as a standalone?

Thanks.

You would be much better off with the FTX Global Textures. Far superior quality (I had both packages)

oh, and they will blend better with the Shoreham addon

You'll probably have elevation issues as well.

Mike

So does the Shoreham scenery come with its own mesh then? If not, then elevation won't be an issue, and in any case, Shoreham is more or less at sea level.

Adrian

I use Shoreham and Compton Abbas with Horizon VFR scenery and it looks great. Blends in well and no elevation issues that I have noticed.

Barry

Barry Wells

I just disabled FTX EU and flew over Orbx Shoreham. Not being allowed to display an image here makes it difficult to show the result but the airfield seems ok but there is a large area around the airfield that is  shaded in darker colours to the default scenery making it look like an airfield in the middle of a bushfire area. The FTX EU obviously overrides that outlying zone and blends it all together.

I used all the Orbx airfields with Horizon GenX VFR scenery. All custom blended with Treescapes autogen for a seamless fit and the airfield base imagery replaced with my own that's properly blended with Horizon textures so it doesn't stand out a mile from afar.. No problems here but it was a fair bit of work to accomplish! Search Mutleys Hangar...

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

With a bit of work you can still use the Just Flight Shoreham in FSX with passable results....

Cheers

Keith