Sign in to follow this  
Boeing or not going

Black boxes in scenery on approach

On approach to an airport, about 10-20 miles out, I sometimes get black boxes on the ground either land or sea. These black boxes just appear for a few seconds then disappear, like the ground scenery takes longer to load. It looks like a chess board in small areas. But my fps is high and my computer is fast and tweaked well.

Why do these black boxes appear, and what can I tweak to remove them? Do I raise my texture bandwidth multiplier?

Thanks

This is an overstress problem.  You need to use lower settings or improve your system specs (that includes both FSX settings and videocard settings).

You can try a higher TBM setting, it may help.

You can try usepools=0 if your system is good enough.

An overclocked CPU works wonders.

For me, I run my system on the edge, so accept I will occasionally see these black boxes.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I agree with Ian!  I get these small black boxes coming into airports.  They last 2 to 3 seconds and then

turn into runway approach lights.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Why is my system overstressed when the framerates are high?

Think of it like this, you can have computational stress from the cpu crunching numbers and causing low frame rates, and you can have memory related stress from the video card and RAM trying to tender a lot of graphics. So, you can be getting good FPS if the airport your flying into is made effeciently as far as not going overboard on polys, etc. However, if you have photo scenery loaded, hi-def clouds and water using 4096 textures, airport textures in 2048 or 4096 size, any 32bit textured, etc, then it will load your VRAM to at or near capacity and cause the black squares you see, but not effect FPS.

It happens to me too once in a while as well if my slider are close to max and I am in a dense area. My FPS will be fine but VRAM will be flooded and cause the temp black squares.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I assume you are not running fsx without limiting framerates.  30 seems to be to optimum.

Some swear by external limiters, but I've tried them all and find the internal limiter in fsx works as well or better for me.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)