Sign in to follow this  
Pete491

RXP530 & ILS Approaches

Guys,

I have been flying different airplanes with the RXP530 for quite a while. You'd think I would have this down by now. But, about a third of the time when I initiate an ILS the A/P fails to capture the GS. I think I have everything set up as it should be. Here's how I do it. When I get close and start to be vectored I switch to HDG. Then I go into the 530 and activate the approach. I switch the 530 to VLOC. I select APR on the A/P. When I get close to the LOC I switch off HDG and the A/P flys the approach most of the time. About a third of the time I get nothing. The plane sails past the GS and I have to fly a visual. There is something I am missing. Help.

Wait until you have a solid glideslope signal...when the GS is coming down, then select APR. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Bert,

I have noticed that the system will turn off HDG automatically if APP is going to work. I started doing it manually to see if that does the trick.

Gregg,

Maybe I have been selecting APP too early sometimes. I'll try waiting until I get a good GS indication.

Thanks!!

You use hdg mode to direct the airplane to intercept the localizer.

Once you are on the correct intercept heading, you can turn on apr mode.

I am assuming you also have alt hold on.

What should occur, is

1. Localizer intercept, hdg mode turns off

2. Glideslope intercept, alt mode turns off

Bert

Guys,

I think I found the problem. I have been selecting APP on the AP too early. If I wait until I get a good LOC and GS indication to select APP it works every time. I flew about ten approaches trying different variations and confirmed this. I also found that some approaches get LOC and GS miles from the FAF and some not until just before the FAF. I think I'm good.

Thanks!!

Guys,
I think I found the problem. I have been selecting APP on the AP too early. If I wait until I get a good LOC and GS indication to select APP it works every time. I flew about ten approaches trying different variations and confirmed this. I also found that some approaches get LOC and GS miles from the FAF and some not until just before the FAF. I think I'm good.
Thanks!!

To be fair, Bert's probably more right.  I've noticed the same behavior on other aircraft.  You just have to live with the autopilot the way it works.  Glad it's working.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Guys,

Here's what I found works best for me with this airplane.  Activate approach, set up LOC intercept in HDG with ALT hold, when receiving LOC select NAV, when receiving GS select APR.  Or just wait until both LOC and GS is received then select APR.  Works every time.

If I set up LOC intercept in HDG with ALT hold then select APR before LOC the A/P will change from APR to  APR/ARM when LOC is received and HDG will go off.  A/P will turn to intercept.  All looks good but A/P will not descend on GS unless I turn off APR and then turn back on.

BTW I love this airplane.  I think it is much better than the TBM850 or the PA46T. 

If I set up LOC intercept in HDG with ALT hold then select APR before LOC the A/P will change from APR to APR/ARM when LOC is received and HDG will go off. A/P will turn to intercept. All looks good but A/P will not descend on GS unless I turn off APR and then turn back on.

I've heard of RW pilots always selecting NAV, even if just for a moment, before selecting APR.

Gregg Seipp

That is when the controller says "King air 345, turn right heading 290, intercept the localizer"  We do that sometimes instead of clear you right there and then.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

That is when the controller says "King air 345, turn right heading 290, intercept the localizer" We do that sometimes instead of clear you right there and then.

Gosh, I thought it was because you were messing with us :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gregg Seipp