Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Question Re PMDG NavData?

After each navdata update, I use to be able to edit the navdata, in order to use the IGS13 at Kai Tak.  Now it seems all PMDG FMC's don't see RW13 any more.

Did something change?

Dont forget you need several files to use an out of service airport like VHHH:  vhhh.txt, navapt.txt and airport.dat. Any one of these will cause a problem if not set up for PMDG use.

Nothing changed with PMDG; however, when you install new navdata it over writes the old navapt.txt and airport.dat files. If you backed up the old files look there.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi Dan and thanks for reply.  Below are the edits I've i've been using for years (after updating navdata), only now for some reason, it doesn't work.  I now get a rw13 error in the FMC

airports.dat:

VHHX 22.316959 114.202621
=================================================

wpNavAID.dat:

IGS LLZ/DME RWY 13      KL   ILSD 22.003299 114.104167111.90T
LLZ/DME RWY 31          IIHK ILSD 22.324500 114.193667109.90T
CH36X                   GP   NDB  22.326667 114.191333333.00N
HONG KONG INTL          RW   NDB  22.326667 114.191333337.00N
IGS RWY 13              GP   NDB  22.326833 114.092500331.00N
===================================================

wpNavAPT:

HONG KONG KAI TAK       VHHX31 10930316 22.305500 114.214500109.9031600015
HONG KONG KAI TAK       VHHX13 10930136 22.321667 114.196667111.9013600015
==================================================

Are you missing the sidstar file vhhh.txt? I think it's interesting that the wpnavaid.txt file is modified when such changes would only be required ifthe sidstar file used external references for navaid fixes. There used to be many threads on modifying navdata for vhhh, try a google search.

Dan Downs KCRP

Are you missing the sidstar file vhhh.txt? I think it's interesting that the wpnavaid.txt file is modified when such changes would only be required ifthe sidstar file used external references for navaid fixes. There used to be many threads on modifying navdata for vhhh, try a google search.

Hi Dan

No, I have sidstar files for both VHHH and VHHX.  I downloaded the VHHX file from the same place I got the edits from.  Will have another search about though, thanks.

Ok, I guess I assumed you were having trouble with VHHH, but now realize those are 07/25 runways.... regardless, the FMS looks for runway info in two places: wpnavapt.txt and the sidstar file. If the runway is missing from either file then you will see the error message. In the sidstar file, the runways are declared in a list between keywords RNWS and ENDRNWS, in the wpnavapt.txt file each runway has a data record (text line) where position in the line is important and white spaces need to be space characters... no tabs.  Hope this helps.

Dan Downs KCRP

Ok, I guess I assumed you were having trouble with VHHH, but now realize those are 07/25 runways.... regardless, the FMS looks for runway info in two places: wpnavapt.txt and the sidstar file. If the runway is missing from either file then you will see the error message. In the sidstar file, the runways are declared in a list between keywords RNWS and ENDRNWS, in the wpnavapt.txt file each runway has a data record (text line) where position in the line is important and white spaces need to be space characters... no tabs.  Hope this helps.

As ever Dan, many thanks for you input.  It was indeed a faulty sidstar file.  Seems it had become damaged.  Never crossed my mind it would be a sidstar txt file.  All systems now normal again, thanks;-)

It's brilliant taking the beautiful T7 through that approach!!!