Sign in to follow this  

What's wrong with Amsterdam?

I've been spending some time on setting up P3D 2.4 for use with the Aerosoft Airbus and I'm getting some pretty nice results. I can fly in and out of all large airports (default P3D airports but with Global and OpenLC installed) without a real drop in performance. All but... Amsterdam. Departing from EHAM isn't a real problem but whenever I fly back there (it's my home airport) performance drops a lot: it becomes a stuttering mess. As I said, no problems with places like EGLL, LFPG, EDDF, but EHAM...

So I was wondering if something is wrong with that place...? Or is it just because that part of Europe is very crowded, lots of cities etc.? Anybody else experiencing the same with Amsterdam? Since it's my home airport it kinda sucks that I can't fly to it without getting annoyed...

Jeroen, it's an Aerosoft airport! Need I say more. I've stopped buying any of the large Aerosoft airports, IMO they're just a joke. Which is a real shame because they're beautifully made. 

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

One of the first Aerosoft airports I ever had. Beautiful, but Rockliffe is right, It will definitely drag a system to its knees, though if I remember right, there were options (or something) to reduce the load a bit.

I'm slightly surprised to hear that P3d is not handling it better.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Jeroen, it's an Aerosoft airport! Need I say more. I've stopped buying any of the large Aerosoft airports, IMO they're just a joke. Which is a real shame because they're beautifully made.

Nothing to add.those big airosoft airports are a shame. Looke at EIDW or EGLL. Stutters over stutters and oom over oom.

Carsten U

I can fly in and out of all large airports (default P3D airports but with Global and OpenLC installed) without a real drop in performance. All but... Amsterdam.

Isn't Jeroen actually saying that he only uses default airports? He is talking about the Aerosoft Airbus not Aerosoft EHAM...

I don't fly in or out of EHAM a lot. I'm using the NL2000 freeware which is pretty heavy on frames. But I still get 18-20 fps. Not smooth but ok...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Isn't Jeroen actually saying that he only uses default airports?

Correct. I am having problems around default Amsterdam.

Sorry Jeroen, my mistake!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Pretty weird then. Default is not a heavy airport.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Pretty weird then. Default is not a heavy airport.

Yes, that's why I suspect the surroundings and I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing problems with performance near that area.

AGREE!!!!  i also stopped buying mega airports from them. plus they wont admit that their mega airports is not well optimized they just blaming ME that i configured my PC or FSX wrong.

Hi Jeroen,

We are unfortunate to live in a country with so many small water body's and most of them below sea level. I suspect that's the main reason for the performance dip. Tinkering with the sliders is what we have to overcome that to some extent. I remember you had building and tree cast shadows, that should be turned off and maybe some other settings lowered. I am flying the Aerosoft bus on Aerosoft EHRD all the time and have now very acceptable performance with it (around 20 fps) and still quite high settings with a lot of traffic. While, when I started with P3D it was around 10fps. You have to search for the sweet setting spot and then it becomes flyable.

Kind regards,