Sign in to follow this  
machie

Question about Mega Scenery 2.0 from Newbie

Hi All,

I am thinking of taking the plunge and switching to Prepar---I have a license to use in my IFR Mentoring center but I have been reluctant to make the change--I really was sort of hung up with my top notch PMDG aircraft but I suppose the IFly 737 will be ok---I am after twenty years so very tired of all the limitations (performance wise) with the old fsx software----my question is:

Will my Mega scenery work with Prepar and will it blend with Orbx scenery (which is what I do now---I own all the Mega scenery and when I fly outside the Mega covered areas I use Orbx or other specialty scenery like the Lukla Himalayan scenery etc. ---I would really be thankful for any information or thoughts and experience in this area.

Cheers

Dorn Cranert

Hi All,

I am thinking of taking the plunge and switching to Prepar---I have a license to use in my IFR Mentoring center but I have been reluctant to make the change--I really was sort of hung up with my top notch PMDG aircraft but I suppose the IFly 737 will be ok---I am after twenty years so very tired of all the limitations (performance wise) with the old fsx software----my question is:

It will work the same as it does in fsx - you may need to buy estonia migration tool - actually buy it because you will need it to install all the other things you want to use that you now use in fsx- good luck you wont regret it

Rich Sennett

Yes.  It works beautifully.  All the videos on my Flight Blog are done with Prepar3D and MSE2.0 States and Ultra Res Cities.   Yes, you can leave ORBX loaded but mind the VAS.   As long as all your MSE is on top of ORBX in your scenery library then any place the MSE doesn't cover will appear as ORBX textures.    Keep in mind, you will notice immeidately the transition line from MSE to ORBX textures.  There is no getting around it.  ORBX is landclass tiling and MSE is photoreal.   

When you load in MSE you may want to do one tweak in your INI file to set your TextureMaxLoad = 30 as recommended in the Prepar3D manual.   Also if you can afford it, manually set your LOD_RADIUS = 9.5         P3D's maximum is 6.5.   As long as you turn off Autogen everything you should not run into OOM issues.    These two tweaks will ensure best load tims on texture paging and keep your textures sharper at longer distances from your aircraft, avoiding the dreaded blurries.

It will work the same as it does in fsx - you may need to buy estonia migration tool - actually buy it because you will need it to install all the other things you want to use that you now use in fsx- good luck you wont regret it

The EMT is a very valuable tool indeed but it actually is not necessary for installing MSE scenery.   The only thing MSE does to FSX(and P3D if using the EMT) is add the scenery index entries into your Scenery.cfg file.   You can actually do this manually with MSE if you don't want to use the EMT tool.   If you have the tool, use it.  If you don't, use a scenery configuration program to manually add each state/city product.   MSE doesn't install the textures into FSX/P3D.  It installs them where ever you tell it to put them.   In my setup, I have a drive totally devoted to MSE products and they all load from this drive into the simulator.   Happy flying!

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Kuragiman,

Thank you so very much for your informative reply to my questions. I am very excited about starting up a new Prepar flight sim world. I have spent the past six months building out a nice office level 737 Cockpit with five 32 inch monitors and a good compination of Go Flight and Saitek instrumentation---( I even built a pretty good Center Throttle quad with the help of some 3D printer guys in Europe.

Your information will be of great help to me during my inital setup of Prepar. I am going to go out and get a a new 3T drive for this install.----Question--Should I just install the Mega Scenery on this new drive or should I also put the other Prepar stuff (the Program and the add-on Aircraft and extras) on as well?

I see that you are a Southwest Virtual Pilot. I fly for ther Flying Tigers Virtual Group and ofter fly in our Southwest Division. I am at present flying WN526 KLAS to KLAX over and over to make sure all my ducks are in a row so that I can start doing Cactus flights on Pilot Edge.(as real life an immersion as I have yet expierienced in thirty + years of flight simming. I am a retired real life pilot and have found that flying on Pilot edge in nighttime IFR conditions on Pilot Edge in almost as draining and streeful as the real deal. I am tired and streede and sweaty after shut-down as I was in RL Flying.

Cheers

Dorn

manually set your LOD_RADIUS = 9.5

How do you do this, and does it stick after changing it?

How do you do this, and does it stick after changing it?

Go into your Prepar3D.cfg file in the Appdata/Roaming/Lockheed Martin/Prepar3Dv2 folder, find the LOD_RADIUS entry and put in 9.5.   Yes it sticks as long as you don't touch the Lod slider in game.

Kuragiman,

Thank you so very much for your informative reply to my questions. I am very excited about starting up a new Prepar flight sim world. I have spent the past six months building out a nice office level 737 Cockpit with five 32 inch monitors and a good compination of Go Flight and Saitek instrumentation---( I even built a pretty good Center Throttle quad with the help of some 3D printer guys in Europe.

Your information will be of great help to me during my inital setup of Prepar. I am going to go out and get a a new 3T drive for this install.----Question--Should I just install the Mega Scenery on this new drive or should I also put the other Prepar stuff (the Program and the add-on Aircraft and extras) on as well?

I see that you are a Southwest Virtual Pilot. I fly for ther Flying Tigers Virtual Group and ofter fly in our Southwest Division. I am at present flying WN526 KLAS to KLAX over and over to make sure all my ducks are in a row so that I can start doing Cactus flights on Pilot Edge.(as real life an immersion as I have yet expierienced in thirty + years of flight simming. I am a retired real life pilot and have found that flying on Pilot edge in nighttime IFR conditions on Pilot Edge in almost as draining and streeful as the real deal. I am tired and streede and sweaty after shut-down as I was in RL Flying.

Cheers

Dorn

You can put it on your sim drive if you want but I keep my MSE scenery on a separate 10k Velociraptor drive.   Works just fine paging it in from another HDD/SDD.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Kurgiman,

I am taking your advice and going out to get a 2 terra Velociraptor HD---This question has always baffeled me---What do you actually put on the drive---I mean you first download a zipped mega scenery file--then unzip it ---then install--does this entrir process take place on the 10k drive--thus storeing all the files in one place.  Right now I install the files into the sim on one drive and keep the original instlation files on a different drive to save space--all the Mega scenery put together is a lot of gigs.

Thanks

\

Dorn

Kurgiman,

I am taking your advice and going out to get a 2 terra Velociraptor HD---This question has always baffeled me---What do you actually put on the drive---I mean you first download a zipped mega scenery file--then unzip it ---then install--does this entrir process take place on the 10k drive--thus storeing all the files in one place.  Right now I install the files into the sim on one drive and keep the original instlation files on a different drive to save space--all the Mega scenery put together is a lot of gigs.

Thanks

\

Dorn

My MegaScenery install files are on one of my storage drives and from that disk I run the installer and told it to install on one of my 10k Raptors and then I edited my Scenery.CFG file to put the entry for each state and city in it in the proper order.  IF you use the EMT tool in FSX Mode it will do that part for you automatically.

Yes, the installer program that MegaScenery has on the website is a nice tool.  Use it for the installs.   It will convert all your ZIP/RAR files into EXE files that it needs to install with and then it unpacks those EXE files and installs all the BGL files where ever you tell it too.

100454.png

Brian Navy

Kurgiman,

I thought changing the LOD radius in Prepar3d made no difference.

Dave