Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

DSR, for this flight simmer, a milestone....

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/MmS

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the above picture, I just landed from CYTZ, to KNFT, and am now at the pumps at the ORBX KFNT.  

​As I flew the route at 2,800 feet tonight, with a starting setting of day, proceeding into dusk, and marveling at the 'new sim' below me, I so strongly felt, that personally, the addition of DSR has been a game changer, on the same footing as purchasing my GTX680 card, to replace my GTX285.  From going from FS9, to P3D. From upgrading my old CRT monitor five years ago, to my now, Samsung 25 wide-view (1920x1200 native).

I had been contemplating yet again, the dog, chasing its own tail, to bring graphics to a level of reality, and clarity from my custom scenery purchases, so in trying to chase that illusive goal down, was going to fork out for a GTX970 whatever. I probably will at some point in time...when it is well behind the upgrade curve, but that is not what I was wanting to communicate. What I wanted to communicate tonight, is that DSR, for myself, was a key to 'Graphics Fort Knox'.  It opened a door to utilize the slumbering power of my present 600 series video card to render scenes it was always apparently, quite capable of, but could not be addressed, because no driver would go beyond my native resolution, even though my graphics card, and my monitor in fact, could, and with ease.

So, here I am tonight, with the new driver, set to DSR 2x/33%, and it has in one fell-swoop, taken away absolutely every quagmire, shimmering instruments---gone, scenery that I guess was ok...(for there was nothing else to compare it to, really), but now----in such striking, clear delivery, that I can even make out single shingles on houses and buildings that I pass on by, while at taxi from ORBX Global. I can read with absolute clarity and ease, the two top left red lines of text,  the FPS counter and flight situation, and the font, no greater than 1/6 to 1/8 in height, thanks to a great monitor display.  If that can be read with ease from 3 feet back from the monitor, imagine what I can now make out from the textures supplied from ORBX, REX4, Carenado, etc.  Fellow simmers, it is truly a whole new world of flight simulation, in front of me. I have always sought to see, what I see now...the clarity, that brings total realism to the view.  I have spent hundreds of dollars in graphic solutions, and frankly, not one graphics card upgrade, could produce what the un-locking key, called DSR brought to the table.  All of my cards, probably even my GTX285 (if DSR could drive it...) would have been quite enough to bring me what I required, but could not...as the driver would not totally leverage the graphics-capable output, or the size of the video RAM buffer, for increased resolution, past native.

Well...that is over.  My GTX680 2GB EVGA is giving stunning performance, at a smooth and locked 30 FPS, with my monitor now being driven at 2715x1697, and it is THIS resolution that is bringing out the simply best; screen display, I have EVER, EVER seen in any flight simulator since 1982.

To my eye, tonight, the world looks totally real, ORBX Global looks stunningly  real, in the towns, cities, fields, forests below my flight path,.... with VECTOR, now looking like roads, ...finally real roads, with not one disbelieving artifact to hold the mind hostage.  At this resolution, Vector has never looked better, and the roads now finally fit as well,into the Global terrain.  Pilot's Custom Mesh, has brought the mountains to majestic 'life' at this stated,driven resolution...like I have never seen!   

It is too bad, that one can not capture the full fidelity of what is on the screen, and send it up to the Net. You CAN NOT!   To get it to the Net, there is a path of reduction, and absolute degradation---in that it will mislead anybody as to what you, the user, on your system monitor---is really, actually, seeing. The screen grabs do NOT produce/capture DSR output with full, 100 percent fidelity. They only let you 'peek' at what the user grabbed.  Nothing more...and I hope that fellow users that have not tried and successfully rendered DSR to their monitor...will NOT be influenced by whatever screen shot any of us put up, as claimed DSR, like the one above...Folks, it is not a true fidelity of what that shot at the pumps, under that evening, dusk sky was, and is, at pause in P3D v2.4. Not even close....for there is a 15 percent reduction, and compression, just to get it to be accepted by the upload site. So...if you like the clarity of the pic...then add much more room in your mind for allowance, because that is what you need to do..to imagine what DSR does, for this hobby.

It is a milestone, folks...and WAS the key...that I had been searching for, for years, to let myself believe that I am in the real world...flying,now over real towns, cities, forests, oceans, all of it.  Thank you nVidia.  Thank you for your on-going development of providing graphic solutions to the desktop.  It was a so-smart decision, to invest in your culture those many years ago...and you have rewarded this user, for that tech-loyalty, .........with this DSR-enabled,delivered driver set.

Have happy flights, all....for it seems, to be only getting better by the day, week, month....

For the very first time, ever, I am in a state of total satisfaction.  If the view, from what I see on the screen before me.....gets even better...fantastic...but in my usage, it doesn't have to....DSR...was the key to open the virtual world 'door', to total believability. That door...is now opened wide...and my SkyMaster 377, is flying right through it!!!   -_- 

signed,

One ecstatic flight simulation hobbyist,....

Hallelujah brothers, hallelujah! :yahoo: :im Not Worthy:  We have reached the end of our quest! :clapping::drinks: I, for one, will miss your marvellous reports.

Just joshin' wit choo, One ecstatic flight simulation hobbyist,.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Here's a few more, but had to reduce each DSR grab by 40 percent!

(these files are to support the thread topic and are the final additions...)

These shots don't even come close to the screen output..but just wanted to show whatever these grabs at serious reduction....could..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those shots look great, what are your nVidia control panel and P3D settings Mitch?

Robert

\Robert Hamlich/

Sesquashtoo, one of the things that jumps out at me in your post is the fact that shimmering instuments have gone. In aircraft such as the Alabeo Waco YMF-5 and, to a lesser extent, the A2A Cherokee, this shimmering is a real problem. It manifests itself most in the small text on the instrument panel, and on the knurled calibrating knobs on the instruments. The only remedy I've found is by setting Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling to 4xSGSS in Nvidia Inspector. Unfortunately, this setting is accompanied by an impact on frame rates.

If DSR eliminates shimmering, and I can switch off N.I., I assume I'll get an FPS boost, and a happy bunny I shall be.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

one of the things that jumps out at me in your post is the fact that shimmering instuments have gone.

----------------------------------------------------------

Totally....gone.  You saw my instrument panel. It is as clear as that...even in animation, and stays that way, even when sunlight splashes across the face of the panel.  It is beyond, gold...

In fact...I have nothing enabled in N.I. and have deleted the P3D selection. Nothing is now needed across all sim platforms. Like I said, this was, and IS...the ring, to rule them all.  Enable DSR, with at least a factor of 2.0/33% up and beyond your native resolution, and then forget the .cfg file of each sim. Forget N.I.   Set up what you like in the sim...and FLY...and fly some more..over virtual reality.... I know....for I am.....

Cheers!

Mitch

DAMN Mitch, excellent! Thanks for posting this.

My pleasure, Tim!

Those shots look great, what are your nVidia control panel and P3D settings Mitch?

Robert

OK...you tell me how to take a screen grab of my nVidia control panel settings, and I shall do that, and the same for grabbing a shot of my P3D in-sim settings...and I'll get it up to ya.

Mitch

Totally agree, DSR is a massive leap forward.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Guys

I have DSR factors set to 2.0x and DSR Smoothness set to 33% in Global Settings of Manage 3D settings in the Nvida Control Panel. Is this all I have to do? I have a GTX560TI video card so I don"t know if DSR will improve things much.

Thanks

John

OK...you tell me how to take a screen grab of my nVidia control panel settings, and I shall do that, and the same for grabbing a shot of my P3D in-sim settings...and I'll get it up to ya.

Mitch

Best to do it in windowed mode, the most easy way is to use Dropbox.  Click on the dropbox icon on your taskbar, select the gear, go to preferences and select "Share screenshots using dropbox."  A link to that pic will be placed onto your clipboard to that pic only.  When the link is selected online by someone only that pic will be visible on a separate tab. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/78ve6zdvh8s2b94/Screenshot%202014-10-25%2004.41.50.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zxlf5724uv9tynm/Screenshot%202014-10-25%2004.44.12.png?dl=0

Thanks in advance for posting your settings.

Robert 

\Robert Hamlich/

Robert, thanks for the Dropbox tip, and will investigate it later, but here are the GLOBAL settings I use for the nVidia Control Panel:

Ambient Occlusion: Off

Anisotropic filtering: 16

Antialising-FXAA: Off

Antialasing-Gamma Correction: On

Antialiasing-Mode: Overide any application setting

Antialiasing-Setting: 4X

Antialiasing-Transparency: 2X (supersample)

CUDA-GPU's: All

DSR-Factors: 1.5/2.0/4.0 (I use 2.0 as my DSR Default)

DSR-Smoothness 33%

Maximum pre-rendered frames: Use the 3D application setting

Multi-display/misced-GPU acceleration: Single display performance mode

Powermanagement mode: Prefer maxium performance

Shader Cache: On

Texture filtering-anisotropic sample optimization: Off

Texture filtering-Negative LOD bias: Clamp

Texture Filtering-Quality: High quality

Texture filtering-Trilinear optimization: On

Threaded optimization: Auto

Triple buffering: Off

Vertical Sync: Use the 3D applications settings

Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames: 1

On the Program Settings tab, under Prepar 3D:

The only setting not using my Global Settings as slaved, is the following one:

Antialiasing-Transparency: 4X (supersample) to match the setting in P3D

--------------------------------------------------------------------

P3D v2.4 settings,

All sliders to the full right and checkboxes checked except for the following:

1. I have all water features turned on below the slider except for terrain reflections.

2.  I have terrain shadows turned off, as this feature is still broken in v2.4 as is also in v2.3 

3. I have the traffic slider at 50 percent, on Commercial, and 0 percent on VFR.

DSR is set internally to 2.x in the res box, which on my monitor plays in the sandbox at: (2715x1697) on a native 1920x1200 Samsung 25in wide-screen, single monitor set-up.

16 for ANIS

4X for MultiSample

4. I have Vsync not engaged, and FPS as 'unlimited' I use a 3rd party FPS limiter setting of 33 FPS in the latest Precision 16X Graphics Card controller from EVGA Ltd.

Thats it, have the sim full out in all other options, but the aforementioned reductions

Good find. Running at the max DSR level and there's no performance hit. Still left my in game and Nvidia Ijnspector settings alone.

No jaggies and shimmering on a 39" HDTV is a sight to behold. I need to try this on my 2560x1600 display. Lol

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Guys

I have DSR factors set to 2.0x and DSR Smoothness set to 33% in Global Settings of Manage 3D settings in the Nvida Control Panel. Is this all I have to do? I have a GTX560TI video card so I don"t know if DSR will improve things much.

Thanks

John

Hi John,  If your card series will run DSR, then yes..that is all you have to do. If you like the look of my tropical screen grabs (DSR), then what I have posted verbatim for my settings on the nVidia Control Panel Global and the one setting on the P3D program, as well as what I mention internally for P3D v2.4 is what produced those screen grabs using my system specs and my EVGA GTX680 2GB Super Clock Plus  graphics card. The one thing you have to do, after you fire up any of the sims...it works in all of them...is that you must go to the resolution window, and then pick your 1.5/2.0, etc...resolution INTERNALLY within the sim, and then press OK. If you press SHIFT-Z, in either P3D, or FSX, and see any of the two read lines at about a font vertical size of 1/16-1/8th inch in height, you are there...at a setting of 2X DSR.

Good find. Running at the max DSR level and there's no performance hit. Still left my in game and Nvidia Ijnspector settings alone.

No jaggies and shimmering on a 39" HDTV is a sight to behold. I need to try this on my 2560x1600 display. Lol

You 'DSR'...and never go, or look back behind you....never!  Have the best of flights, man!

DSR Mitch  :P

Thanks for the settings "DSR Mitch."  Looking forward to giving these a try.

Robert

\Robert Hamlich/