Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

DSR, for this flight simmer, a milestone....

Will DSR work on a Gigabyte GTX580 1.5 GB ? Or do I need a new generation card ?

Edit: Found the answer. Works fantastic. A whole new sim, thanks Mitch.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Hi John,  If your card series will run DSR, then yes..that is all you have to do. If you like the look of my tropical screen grabs (DSR), then what I have posted verbatim for my settings on the nVidia Control Panel Global and the one setting on the P3D program, as well as what I mention internally for P3D v2.4 is what produced those screen grabs using my system specs and my EVGA GTX680 2GB Super Clock Plus  graphics card. The one thing you have to do, after you fire up any of the sims...it works in all of them...is that you must go to the resolution window, and then pick your 1.5/2.0, etc...resolution INTERNALLY within the sim, and then press OK. If you press SHIFT-Z, in either P3D, or FSX, and see any of the two read lines at about a font vertical size of 1/16-1/8th inch in height, you are there...at a setting of 2X DSR.

Thanks Sesquashtoo,

I have DSR factors set to 1.5 and DSR smoothness set to 33%. I have gone into FSX and set the resolution to 2351 x 1323 x 32. When I press Shift Z, the font is the same as before. I have kept my windows desktop resolution at 1920 x 1082. Have I missed something? I have also noticed that when I change the resolution within FSX on the fly, nothing changes. I am running a reasonably old video card, a GTX 560TI. Maybe it's time for an upgrade.

Many thanks.

John

John, after starting fsx, I went to window mode and back to full screen and then everything worked

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

John, after starting fsx, I went to window mode and back to full screen and then everything worked

Badfinger

Thanks. Does it only work in full screen mode?

John

Pardon my noobiness (for lack of a better word) but am I missing something here.  I just installed the new driver enabled DSR, went into FSX and there are no resolution options for 1.5/2x my native res.

Think I got it.  But I have a  lot of jagged edges, suggestions?

Sorry I really do not know much about what all these settings do.  Probably something I should start to learn.

Badfinger

John

I believe so. Still trying to get my head around it :)

Hello..

From which driver version is DSR supported on a GTX 660 card ?.

Still confused as to how to select higher resolution from within FSX. I have not enabled DSR, the Max resolution in GSX is 1920x1080x32. Does enabling DSR introduce new options / sentries in the drop down list ?.

Thanks

Hari

Yes. You must enable it in the Nvidia Control Panel. Then when you start FSX or P3D you will see the added higher available selections.

Running the game native 2560x1600 and have the DSR set to 1.5/2/4 and all other settings in NV control panel and in-game the same as outlined.  I notice that going up to higher res puts a sort of FXAA feeling effect on the game, which is nice.  When I run at native res with MSAA x4 there are a lot of jaggies (I'm guessing "shimmering" is the new term for jaggies, or no?  Only started seeing "shimmering" lately) on the hard edges of the plane.  Before the DSR trick I was running with FXAA enabled and it really helped that out.  Anywho, using DSR resolutions with FXAA enabled is glaringly gross, and then disabling it reverts the game to the same-ish look that playing it at native res with FXAA enabled did.  That was probably worded horribly but hopefully you understand what I mean.  Going Alt-Enter to cycle back and forth between native and DSR I think that native is clearer but jaggier, DSR is smoother but not "clearer".  Eh.  It is cool though and maybe there are settings I'm overlooking.  Anyways thanks for the how-to!

Badfinger

John

Yes, in all sims...full screen mode.

Pardon my noobiness (for lack of a better word) but am I missing something here.  I just installed the new driver enabled DSR, went into FSX and there are no resolution options for 1.5/2x my native res.

Think I got it.  But I have a  lot of jagged edges, suggestions?

Sorry I really do not know much about what all these settings do.  Probably something I should start to learn.

Flyer, you will not find such as 1.5, 2.0, blah, blah...what you should see if you have done everything correctly, are resolution settings HIGHER than your highest native. So in my case, where I had always had as the highest choice, 1920x1200, in either 16 or 32 bit, I now have three choices above that in the list within the sims.  That is how the wind blows....

This is a stupid question, what is DSR? :)

Google the words nVidia and DSR...and you'll be in the know....

I have a gtx 660 with a BENQ monitor with a native resolution of 1920x1080.

I have currently set within FSX 1920x1080x32

What should my DSR settings be ?.

I have a gtx 660 with a BENQ monitor with a native resolution of 1920x1080

I have currently set within FSX 1920x1080x32

What should my DSR settings be ?.

You first have to enable the DSR features with the Global menu on the nVidia Control Panel. Check box the values that you want...and then press Apply. Start up the sim and you will see higher settings than your native

Pick one, and then go into Full Screen.