Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

DSR, for this flight simmer, a milestone....

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/MmS

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the above picture, I just landed from CYTZ, to KNFT, and am now at the pumps at the ORBX KFNT.  

+1

jja

Edited by FloG
Please don't quote a whole post just to add a "+1"

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Sesquashtoo,

Well, after reading your very eloquent post I took the plunge and downloaded the new nvidia driver to take advantage of DSR. Being the paranoid type I am, I spent the better part of Friday night and Saturday tweaking my Inspector settings, documenting all my settings and making backup copies of everything.

Saturday night I installed the 344.48 drivers, enabled DSR and was sitting here thinking "this is it?" The view was flat and blurry to say the least. I disabled DSR with a shrug of the shoulders and thought, "hmmmm..what's all the hype!?" Today, I spotted your nVidia Control Panel settings and thought I would give it another shot because clearly, I did something wrong last night. While noting down the settings the proverbial AH-HA moment struck...remove the Inspector settings (actually reverting Inspector back to defaults)!!! I didn't do that last night so I fired up FSX with my new 3620x1527 res and my head exploded!! It's been a long time since I've had a jaw drop moment in FSX and today was a doosie! Smooth flight, great looking terrain and if properly textured, stunning aircraft visuals. My wife watching TV a floor above me heard me yell "Holy crap" when I loaded the PMDG 737. I had to take a minute to post a quick note of thanks for posting your control panel settings and for the little tid-bit of reverting your Inspector settings back to defaults.

Here's a quick screen grab I took.

20141026_030-0.jpg

Thanks man for your initial post to get me off the fence and your follow-up post with your control panel settings. I may just call in sick tomorrow and fly!

Mike

Thanks Sesquashtoo

I have always used windows mode in FSX, never full screen.

Will going full screen cause any issues ?.

I dont want to enable DSR and intriduce othet issurs.

I primarily use pmdg 777, MCE and vPilot.

Sesquashtoo,

Well, after reading your very eloquent post I took the plunge and downloaded the new nvidia driver to take advantage of DSR. Being the paranoid type I am, I spent the better part of Friday night and Saturday tweaking my Inspector settings, documenting all my settings and making backup copies of everything.

Saturday night I installed the 344.48 drivers, enabled DSR and was sitting here thinking "this is it?" The view was flat and blurry to say the least. I disabled DSR with a shrug of the shoulders and thought, "hmmmm..what's all the hype!?" Today, I spotted your nVidia Control Panel settings and thought I would give it another shot because clearly, I did something wrong last night. While noting down the settings the proverbial AH-HA moment struck...remove the Inspector settings (actually reverting Inspector back to defaults)!!!

didn't do that last night so I fired up FSX with my new 3620x1527 res and my head exploded!! It's been a long time since I've had a jaw drop moment in FSX and today was a doosie! Smooth flight, great looking terrain and if properly textured, stunning aircraft visuals. My wife watching TV a floor above me heard me yell "Holy crap" when I loaded the PMDG 737. I had to take a minute to post a quick note of thanks for posting your control panel settings and for the little tid-bit of reverting your Inspector settings back to defaults.

Here's a quick screen grab I took.

20141026_030-0.jpg

Thanks man for your initial post to get me off the fence and your follow-up post with your control panel settings. I may just call in sick tomorrow and fly!

Mike

Hi Mike

Before i take the pluneg,i have NI set since i run DX10 with steves scenery fixer and 8xsgss

Should NI be set to default for DSR ?

Mike,

I am on holiday in Mexico at moment and after seeing your screen grab with DSR I have something to look forward too when I return to the UK later this week. Thanks for sharing this, looks transformational.

Cheers

DaveGi

Thanks DaveGi! You're in for a real treat. I just finished a flight from Southwest Oregon Regional (KOTH) to Eugene Oregon (KEUG) and it was spectacular.

@Ozflyer - I'm also running DX10 (Steve's payware version) so to be safe, I exported my Inspector settings for FSX then went back into Inspector and chose the FSX profile, clicked on the nvidia logo to reset the FSX profile to defaults. Once that was done I applied the following in the nvidia control panel under the "Global Settings":

Ambient Occlusion: Off
Anisotropic filtering: 16
Antialising-FXAA: Off
Antialasing-Gamma Correction: On
Antialiasing-Mode: Overide any application setting
Antialiasing-Setting: 4X
Antialiasing-Transparency: 2X (supersample)
CUDA-GPU's: All
DSR-Factors: 1.5/2.0/4.0 (I use 2.0 as my DSR Default)
DSR-Smoothness 33%
Maximum pre-rendered frames: Use the 3D application setting
Multi-display/misced-GPU acceleration: Single display performance mode
Powermanagement mode: Prefer maxium performance
Shader Cache: On
Texture filtering-anisotropic sample optimization: Off
Texture filtering-Negative LOD bias: Clamp
Texture Filtering-Quality: High quality
Texture filtering-Trilinear optimization: On
Threaded optimization: Auto
Triple buffering: Off
Vertical Sync: Use the 3D applications settings
Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames: 1

Load up FSX, select the new resolution from the settings screen, alt-enter to go to full screen mode and have fun!

M

Thanks DaveGi! You're in for a real treat. I just finished a flight from Southwest Oregon Regional (KOTH) to Eugene Oregon (KEUG) and it was spectacular.

@Ozflyer - I'm also running DX10 (Steve's payware version) so to be safe, I exported my Inspector settings for FSX then went back into Inspector and chose the FSX profile, clicked on the nvidia logo to reset the FSX profile to defaults. Once that was done I applied the following in the nvidia control panel under the "Global Settings":

Ambient Occlusion: Off
Anisotropic filtering: 16
Antialising-FXAA: Off
Antialasing-Gamma Correction: On
Antialiasing-Mode: Overide any application setting
Antialiasing-Setting: 4X
Antialiasing-Transparency: 2X (supersample)
CUDA-GPU's: All
DSR-Factors: 1.5/2.0/4.0 (I use 2.0 as my DSR Default)
DSR-Smoothness 33%
Maximum pre-rendered frames: Use the 3D application setting
Multi-display/misced-GPU acceleration: Single display performance mode
Powermanagement mode: Prefer maxium performance
Shader Cache: On
Texture filtering-anisotropic sample optimization: Off
Texture filtering-Negative LOD bias: Clamp
Texture Filtering-Quality: High quality
Texture filtering-Trilinear optimization: On
Threaded optimization: Auto
Triple buffering: Off
Vertical Sync: Use the 3D applications settings
Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames: 1

Load up FSX, select the new resolution from the settings screen, alt-enter to go to full screen mode and have fun!

M

Mike, Thanks for the quick response mate....

Just one more question, should the settings be applied under MS Flightsimulator X profile or Global ? and does it make a difference.

I was always under the impression the settings have to be applied under MS Flightsimulator X profile.

Or Global takes effect under full screen and the MS FSX takes effect under windowed mode ?. (sorry if its a stupid question to ask).

Mike, Thanks for the quick response mate....

Just one more question, should the settings be applied under MS Flightsimulator X profile or Global ? and does it make a difference.

I was always under the impression the settings have to be applied under MS Flightsimulator X profile.

Or Global takes effect under full screen and the MS FSX takes effect under windowed mode ?. (sorry if its a stupid question to ask).

Hi Oz,

I applied the settings to the GLOBAL profile and not the FSX profile. You're right, normally with the control panel or through inspector, you would make application/profile specific changes/tweaks but in this case, DSR can only be enabled on the global profile so apply the above there and then make sure you select the higher resolution settings in FSX. If you don't, you won't see anything different. You can always fine tune things on the FSX specific profile but if you have the same setting tweaked under the global profile, I would assume it would trump anything you put for FSX specifically.

Being the eternal tweaker I am, I'm playing around with things but being very careful not to get too ahead of myself. I'm very happy with the settings at the moment so I'm trying to resist the urge to tweak too much :-)

M

Mike, does it effect Vsync ? I am using DSR with my settings in NI insspector set for the DX10 fixer.

Edit: Ok, just tested, although a quick test. Will do a flight now. In global settings, I used Adaptive 1/2 refresh for Vsync

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Mike, does it effect Vsync ? I am using DSR with my settings in NI insspector set for the DX10 fixer.

Edit: Ok, just tested, although a quick test. Will do a flight now. In global settings, I used Adaptive 1/2 refresh for Vsync

Hey Julian,

I did notice some image tearing but I'm still playing around right now and not too concerned with the vsync issue at the moment. At this point, the only thing I have in my inspector settings is 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling and everything else is default. I'm still testing but from the last few flights I've done tonight in the PMDG and the AirbusX, I'm not really seeing a point in tweaking anything. Getting pretty consistent 30 FPS but more than that, the sim is MUCH smoother now. I think I may have reached the end of the tweaking line. After 10+ years I may actually be at a point where I can sit at my desk and fly versus tweaking. :GASP: Say it ain't so!! :-)

M

I agree Mike, DSR is a game changer. Adaptive VSync 1/2 refresh does work. I found I did not need 4xSGSS in Inspector.

Also, using Antilising setting in global too 8xCSAA make things look crystal clear and no shimmering. I have matched that setting in the fixer as well.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

----------------------------------------------------------

Glad to have helped, Mike. That shot of yours, looks dang good! :)  Happy flyin'....

Mitch/Ses

Should NI be set to default for DSR ?

-----------------------------------------------------

I run DX10 and the Fixer as well. I have taken NI right out of the loop for all the sims.  I don't need its help any longer.  DSR has removed any objection and/or artifact from my simming.  It is simply the one ring to rule them all...and is incredible in what it is achieving, at least on my system.  Beyond satisfied....

I'm still struggling to convince myself to try DSR on my gtx 560. In the other thread I saw words like "buggy", "problems", and "nVidia get back to finish this driver", so I don't know what to do. In acse of any problems with the driver - Uninstall current, install 344.xx, uninstall 344.xx, install previous procedure is pain in the a$$.

The main reason I would try this DSR is that I run FSX in 1680x1050 monitor's native resolution, and I have hard time to read info from any cockpit display. Also I'm running FSX in windowed mode, that way I can switch between other apps (flight planning, Opus, etc) without problems. Never liked fullscreen only because of that.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

1. Pour yourself a good, high-quality beer, in a pre-chilled glass , and download driver 344.48.  Install stated driver suite.

2. Start sipping the beer, with smacking of lips

3. Bring up the nVidia Control Program, by right clicking on Desktop. Under GLOBAL advance down to the tab DSR and highlight any number of the *x settings that you will want to have that corresponding resolution for, up and beyond your native reso.  (Example: For myself, I have 1.5, 2.0, and 4.0 check-boxed, and now have three choices in the DSR section of the Control Panel , whereby you'd change Desk-Top resolution, if you wanted to do that...)  You also will now have either one, or in my case all three custom over-and-above-native resolution choices to show up in your resolution listing inside any of your sims...) Changing your entire Desktop to the new reso you want, is not required to have DSR run in your sim.  Your sim will take on that reso...and each time you end the sim session, your Desk Top will revert back to your native sim, automatically as the sim session ends. 

4. Set the SMOOTHNESS FACTOR to whatever you want, or as in my preference, I have kept it at the default 33% factor.

Press APPLY/SAVE, whatever...

5. Go to the GAME TAB, and bring up P3D, FS9, FSX, any of them you want, and make any changes that you feel you want.  DSR and SMOOTHNES ONLY is to be found under the GLOBAL SETTINGS TAB.

Press APPLY/SAVE, whatever...

6. Take another sip of that beer....

7. Fire up any sim of your choice, and when at the F.B.O. call up the running sim resolution window, and now, you should see the same exact single, or multi number of resolutions you created by use of the GLOBAL TAB in the nVidia Control Panel.  

8. Pick one and then press APPLY, or whatever is required in that sim to make the sim now USE that resolution element.  Now, if you are not already, go to FULL SCREEN within that running sim.

9. You are now in DSR mode and should see the effects of being in that mode, by smaller fonts, menus, etc...BUT the sim should be taking up the entire space of your monitor display, just as it would, if you had been running at your highest native, or lower than native, that we always could do.

10. Finish beer... before the authorities catch on to this arborant  behavior....

11. Go fly in your 'new' sim.....

12 Crack open another beer...and say: "Ah..what the h*ll, this is a simulation flown out of my den.....".

13.  Keep having fun, and rubber-necking the new detail...

14 Return ALL N.I. settings for that particular sim you want to use DSR with...to DEFAULT, or just remove that reference in the line up. DSR takes care of all the artifacts you have been tweaking your guts out for the last 15 years. In the rare case that on your system it does not, keep your tweaks to a minimum, as those that reported at first, they did not see what the hooza was all about, found out what the hooza was all about, only after removing their N.I. settings for that sim.

That's it, all in a nutshell....

Mitch

Goodness gracious, I'm glad I found this thread! Will be trying this ASAP. Should help my X3 Terran Conflict and Dead Space look glorious as well.  B)

Ever since I put in a GTX 750 in my machine I've loved the way FSX looks. Can't wait to see what it looks like now (I'm using an ASUS VH238H monitor ATM).

Since were no longer using NI for anti-aliasing, do you guys enable anti-aliasing within FSX?  without this box checked I have a ton of jagged lines.

Anybody that uses the Realair Lancair, do you still get cockpit shimmering around the gauges?  Not sure if this is a Realair thing or a settings thing on my end.