Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

DSR, for this flight simmer, a milestone....

My experience has been very positive.  It's impossible to eliminate very shimmer on my system, just like it was for every stutter.  However the difference between before and after is amazing, I just have to return to windowed mode to see the difference.  It may be euphoria or the beers as per the instructions, but everything seemed that much smoother.  The only spots of trouble I have are:

1) I could not get vsync to work through control panel, so I did all the NV settings through inspector.  I imagine the latter will get an update at some point to add DSR;

2) I've a 2GB GTX680, and most of that 2GB gets used.  Not sure what happens if that went over the edge.

This has really brought me back into the game at a time when everything was becoming rather old.  Thinking back, it's a game changer just like 1/2 refresh rate and the 8800GT were before it.  Using the word game in the broadest sense here, it's a simulator!  Already I have tweaking withdrawl.

Simon

Hi Rick,

From what I've been reading, DSR should work for surround users. Remember to set the DSR factor and smoothness in the Control Panel first then make sure you select the "new" resolution in game before going into full screen mode.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I guess I will give it a go then.

Rick S

I'm in DX10 and don't run AA or Vsync at all in order to up the fps.  I get terrible shimmer that I've gotten used to.  Will DSR still work for me?  I have a GTX560.

I have GTX 560 and I see no shimmer at all with DSR.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

when you guys mention "shimmer" is this the same thing as jaggies? Like non crisp edges?

Also has anyone used this yet in FSX in dx9, seems all these posts are dx10 and I'm using FSX in dx9. 

Would the Nvidia Control Panel and in-sim settings be the same for FSX and p3d, assuming I don't use NI anymore.

MikeAdamo, on 28 Oct 2014 - 9:20 PM, said:

Hi Rick,

From what I've been reading, DSR should work for surround users. Remember to set the DSR factor and smoothness in the Control Panel first then make sure you select the "new" resolution in game before going into full screen mode.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I guess I will give it a go then.

Rick S

Well, I guess DSR is not an option on a 3x Surround system, as I can not find it anywhere in the nVidia Control Panel?

Maybe I am looking in the wrong place; I hope?

Rick S

I can't get p3d to look anything like this. I've followed the settings and instructions and it's not looking good at all. The aircraft looks great outside but the ground not so much.

The main issue I am having is my menus being distorted and blurred when I click on them, also pulsating. anyone know what's causing that?

Also lights seem to be "pulsating"

I have GTX 560 and I see no shimmer at all with DSR.

But are you running form of AA at all, or is DSR doing everything for you?

This would be a game changer for me because I get amazing smoothness in FSX without AA in NI, and it looks like you guys are saying DSR has no fps impact.

when you guys mention "shimmer" is this the same thing as jaggies? Like non crisp edges?

Also has anyone used this yet in FSX in dx9, seems all these posts are dx10 and I'm using FSX in dx9. 

Would the Nvidia Control Panel and in-sim settings be the same for FSX and p3d, assuming I don't use NI anymore.

It's the "shimmering" effect you see when you have low to no AA.

When you're taxiing on the ground and you make a turn, you will see the jagged edges of buildings, fences, etc shimmering. 

Hmmm, I've been testing this for a couple of days.

My specs/settings: GTX750 SC, i7 CPU, 6GB RAM,  DX10 with 4X SGSS at 1650pp and a stable FPS around 35-45.

It doesn't seem to do anything spectacular for me... I start seeing FPS impact at 2.0 DSR factor but that's it. In terms of scenery/object clarity, it seems identical to my original setup.

you guys are saying DSR has no fps impact.

That would not be accurate sir! Cranking up to the maximum DSR setting is essentially equivalent to driving a 4K monitor, which would bring all but the most hardy GPU and processor to it's knees. There ain't know free lunch!

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

That would not be accurate sir! Cranking up to the maximum DSR setting is essentially equivalent to driving a 4K monitor, which would bring all but the most hardy GPU and processor to it's knees. There ain't know free lunch!

Thanks.  Maybe I should stick to my current drivers.  Things are so smooth right now, I'm afraid to mess with it.

That of course is your call. I don't like to upgrade drivers unless there's a good reason to either.

FWIW, I haven't noticed any regressions with this version in FSX (344.48 WHQL) and retained a couple of small DX10 related fixes from the last driver release. So, with DRS, I consider this driver version sort of the new 'baseline' for GeForce drivers. I don't use P3D at this time so I don't know what those guys think of this release.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Thanks.  I may give it a try in the near future.  I can always disable DSR if it eats too much fps.  Plus, I'd like to try it out in FS9 as well.

Yes - DSR is completely optional. There's really nothing you'd need to disable - just run your game at your screen native resolution AFAIK.