Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

DSR, for this flight simmer, a milestone....

It may be euphoria or the beers

----------------------------

Yes, yes...the beer is very important...to relax you...and assure a good DSR transition....LOL!   Don't sic the F.A.A. on me...as I never mentioned about a beer in the cockpit....   :o

MItch

I really cant see a difference... May be I am doing something wrong. Any way to still force 1/2 refresh rate?

I really cant see a difference... May be I am doing something wrong. Any way to still force 1/2 refresh rate?

You should see the difference straight away when looking at menus, in game text, the ATC window or switching between windows and full screen.

1/2 refresh rate works fine for me, although I had to do it through inspector rather than control panel.

Simon

You should see the difference straight away when looking at menus, in game text, the ATC window or switching between windows and full screen.

1/2 refresh rate works fine for me, although I had to do it through inspector rather than control panel.

Simon

Well, I can see that the resolution is higher and therefore the text in fsx is smaller, the image is smoother but I cant see a big change. I mean, the image is smooth and looks good but nothing signifcant..

Well, I can see that the resolution is higher and therefore the text in fsx is smaller, the image is smoother but I cant see a big change. I mean, the image is smooth and looks good but nothing signifcant..

Same here.  I tried it a few hours ago on FS9 and FSX.  Don't see a difference other than a slightly blurry image when I increase smoothness.  I'm at 1.5/33%.

Same here. There is an overall smoothness although the stutters are still there.

But no performance increase or better image quality.

Menno

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5

But no performance increase

:blink:

You can only see performance decrease. Is it 1% or 20%, depends on ratio (1.5x, 2x, 3x or 4x) and your GPU. The image overall looks smoother, and slightly, a small tiny notch sharper in my case - 1680x1050 monitor, 2.5x, 25%. Biggest difference for me is how smooth the image is, especially when I consider low AA settings that I use in Nvidia CP. You can test how sharper it is just by looking on cockpit displays, before and after.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Same here.  I tried it a few hours ago on FS9 and FSX.  Don't see a difference other than a slightly blurry image when I increase smoothness.  I'm at 1.5/33%.

The main issue addressed is shimmers and those are really painful on my system whenever the camera viewpoint moves.  Anytime the airplane moves, I see shimmers.

Perhaps the shimmers weren't so much of an issue for you to start with?  On DX9 they weren't for me either, but DX10 is a different story.

FSX is full of trade-offs.  For me trading shimmers for slightly blurry display and maybe a small performance decrease is a win.  It will not be so for everyone.

Simon

Same here. There is an overall smoothness although the stutters are still there.

But no performance increase or better image quality.

Menno

Yep - - this is just one of those placebo mythical cure all posts we see from time-to-time. Doing nothing for me either.

If you're expecting this to reduce stutters or improve FPS.. yep, move on. It provides an alternative to some of the 'over-the-top' fancy-shmancy AA/filtering algorithms some of us require to reduce shimmers, flickering lines and moire patterns some of us experience due to our set-ups, and for that, I find it works quite well.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

For the low and slow flying I do I find DSR (4x @ 25%) to be slightly worse than my usual DX10 settings in terms of VC shimmering edges and overall image quality.  It wipes too much detail from VC and ground textures and seems to negatively effect their contrast.  I do admit that some ground items that once shimmered are wiped clean, but for me the overall effect is not worth its tiny bits of improvement I get with my setup.  BTW in FSX my gtx 780 can handle 4x DSR with no sweat driving my 1920x1080 monitor.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Guys, if we turn off filtering and look at the sky, we can clearly see blue banding, there's no way DSR can fix that. Filtering improves the sky, reflective surfaces like wet runways, and improves the geometry of the texture projected onto the facet. So we need some acceptable level of filtering before we attempt to set AA. Even though we are going to use DSR, we must still use some degree of AA, unless we go so big with DSR that the detail is squashed out of it anyway. Instead we can set a good image quality as we did before DSR, and apply small amounts of DSR, 1.5x might be enough, 2x should be really good compared to what we are used to. We can set the DSR - Smoothness control, higher values make a softer image. What DSR does primarily is make a very cleverly accurate smaller image, if we start with a big poor image we get a smaller poor image that fits the screen. To a certain degree that can be improved with large magnitudes of DSR, but becomes taxing on the GPU. P3D degrading faster with increases of resolution than FSX due to the richer image content.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I'm getting constant 'fatal errors' when going from windowed to full screen, while I'm at higher resolution in the sim ( currently 1.5 x Native ). I'm then dumped back to my desktop, which is now also 1.5 x native, and I have to get back to 1920x1080 using Nvidia Control Panel. At the moment, because this keeps happening, I can't experiment with settings at all 

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

I am a bit confused with this DSR , Geforce Website says

supported GPU's GTX 980/ GTX 970 .

However lots of people posting thay have installed and their cards are not these two.

I run 680GTX over 3 screens and have the 344.48 driver installed (Clean instal) but not installed the 3D driver and the geoforce experience

I go to Global settings in the nvidia control panel and have no option listed for DSR.

IS my card compatible? Anyone know? if yes what am I doing wrong?

Cheers

cheers

3080rtx  on a i7 12700k with 32 Gig ddr5. 2gig Ssd

Quest 2

Windows 11

Looking at all of the DSR thread it appears that DSR does not support Surround, at least right now. 

If someone does find otherwise please let us know how you get to with Surround turned on.

I wonder if it would work with TH2Go de?

Rick S.