Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

25OCT14 - First Glance at PMDG 777-200 for Prepar3D

I've recently purchased FSX and 737NGX and I enjoy flying around on VATSIM but the occasional CTDs spoil the fun.

Not to push blame around, but if you're using SquawkBox, the CTD issue is more related to that product than the NGX.

The fix is to run SB from the Start Menu instead of through the FSX menu.

Kyle Rodgers

Not to push blame around, but if you're using SquawkBox, the CTD issue is more related to that product than the NGX.

The fix is to run SB from the Start Menu instead of through the FSX menu.

Thanks for the reply. However, no SB here, I use vPilot. Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread. I just hope (and based on the info I have I am fairly confident) that P3D doesn't need all kinds of tweaks out of the box and then still CTD every 5-10 flights.

Martijn Rammeloo

When is the release date?

LOL, they might forecast a 3 or 6 month period but a release date will not be announced. It will be released when ready.

Dan Downs KCRP

On question in advance: how 'current' are the P3D airfields? A vanilla FSX install needs a lot of addon scenery, some of them of questionable quality, and often inflicting a large FPS hit.

My personal opinion is that the default airports in P3D, especially main airports, are far superior to those in FSX.

Ian S

38.jpg

My impressions so far, besides graphics, are less positive. Even the major (European) airports like EGLL are outdated. As a VATSIM pilot, this might be a problem when ATC has a different airport layout than P3D...

Ah well, plenty of (freeware) scenery available, so not a big issue.

Cheers, Martijn Rammeloo

Martijn Rammeloo

Isn't it a license violation to fly the NGX in P3D? Or has this been changed?

It certainly is, the EULA has not been adjusted (on that subject) since release, as far as I know.

Isn't it a license violation to fly the NGX in P3D? Or has this been changed?

It is. Very much so. This has not been changed.

Kyle Rodgers

I couldn't think of a better time for this development to be in process as I work towards building a new machine. I've read (and mostly do more than post...) this entire thread and I'm not surprised by some of the replies, but for the most part, I share the same feelings with those that are happy to hear of this expansion in PMDG's implementation. I try to always be one who objectively reviews a matter before really speaking on it with certainty, but this one time I'll pardon myself... I think for me, one of the key reasons why I look forward to transitioning to P3D is not because of the pretty pictures (although that is a plus) but rather because of support. And while I haven't used or delved into it, I can't tell you how relieved I am to know I'm going to be able to experience one, if not the best, collection of addons in a new, stable, and supported environment. When I first started purchasing PMDG software, I was blown away by the realism but also completely intimidated. And adding FSX errors and other complex issues didn't help to spur my excitement... It felt like a lot to take on and in. With this being said, I know there will be many challenges ahead for not just the developer community, but the overall FSX community that may be making the transition to P3D, but I remain optimistic about the future of our great hobby OR for some, resource for learning and preparation as "newer" simmers join us.

I apologize for the long post, but I do want to thank the dev team and the senior members at PMDG for taking this leap forward. I could only imagine how risky, frustrating at times, and downright frightening this may be for you all, but take it from a consumer that your decision to integrate into these newer simulation environments is really adding a new ethos to your consumer's pride in being a PMDG patron. 

I apologize for the long post,

Hi Caleb, never apologise mate - it was very nice to read!   I think you echo a lot of what we all feel.   Although I won't be transitioning to P3D anytime soon, even though I do qualify in terms of their license requirements, my system just isn't up to it and I cannot see myself spending that much money on a new machine anytime soon.   I have other real life commitments which I need to take care of at the moment - that and the fact that the old FSX platform works for me without any glitches and I am totally satisfied with it, although I know that a lot of others are not that lucky and content!

I have experienced P3D through a friend's computer and I have to say, it blew me away!   The graphics and the environment is fantastic, but he runs a similar pc to mine, more specifically exactly the same graphics card, which is a GeForce 480 GTX and for anything more than the stock aircraft, you will battle for fps a little bit.   P3D certainly is a different beast!

Definitely something to look forward to for the future but for now, I am hanging back just a bit.

Kind regards

It is. Very much so. This has not been changed.

Gents-

It is a very serious license violation.  So much so, that our licensing partners have questioned whether we are acting agressively enough to protect their interest in the equation- and this has essentially put forward motion toward the P3D platform on hold.

We have had to take action against a few folks who were violating the license agreement- and unfortunately we are spending a rather tidy sum in the "Legal" expense account handling a bunch more.

Leave it to a few to kill the fun for everyone except the lawyers... 

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Gents-

and this has essentially put forward motion toward the P3D platform on hold.

So does this mean you are not going to make Prepar3D PMDG products now ? would be nice to know one way or the other - thank you

Rich Sennett

So does this mean you are not going to make Prepar3D PMDG products now ? would be nice to know one way or the other - thank you

"On hold" is pretty clear, honestly. Getting the ATC instruction to "hold short" doesn't mean a takeoff clearance won't follow. It just means that the takeoff clearance isn't happening right now.

If it were abandoned, you'd see it as a sticky just like all of the other news.

Kyle Rodgers

"On hold" is pretty clear, honestly. Getting the ATC instruction to "hold short" doesn't mean a takeoff clearance won't follow. It just means that the takeoff clearance isn't happening right now.

If it were abandoned, you'd see it as a sticky just like all of the other news.

Thanks Kyle but waiting another year or two is not something I am looking forward to

Rich Sennett