Sign in to follow this  
jetsmell

Anyone turn off Windows Firewall first ?

I'm just curious, before a flight does anyone turn off their anti-virus, firewall or anything else ?

I always disable Avast before I fly, seems to help

Ken Heibel

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "Hangar Chat". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

I disable firewall and anti virus before flying. There are probably a few other services running which you could disable as well. This subject has been discussed at great length on every flight sim forum out there.

Any good AV/Firewall should not affect performance.

I'm just curious, before a flight does anyone turn off their anti-virus, firewall or anything else ?

Your Firewall is a passive defense. As such it should not use any resources anyway - no reason to shut it down. Unless of course you are using some 3rd party firewall that works differently. Then it may be using some resources, I wouldn't know about that.

What Jim says is of course very true. Some AV seem to want to scan every little thing that transpires on you PC and wants to update way to often. If you aren't going to be using the Internet at all and you don't have anything running in the background that will connect without your knowledge then it would be okay to shut it down while flying.

I have NOD32 and it is efficient enough that it is a waste of time to open it and put it in game mode.

What will help the most is to find out what background services are running that don't need to be and what what gets booted up on start up that isn't required. Shut down those that are not required and that frees more of the CPU for FS9.

Regards,

Actually I keep everything always off. I need all the CPUU power for my Sim (FSX...for now).

Actually I keep everything always off. I need all the CPUU power for my Sim (FSX...for now).

You gain nothing and undesirable people and programs love your system.

You gain nothing and undesirable people and programs love your system.

Yep! Love at first byte!

Regards,

My firewall and AV don't appear to affect FSX.  Shutting them off is like leaving the front door unlocked while playing pool in the rec room.

Jim Elder

I never bother with Windows firewall, I just make sure my add-ons are allowed through first (REX). Other than that I don't turn it off.

ClamWin is one of the least intrusive AVs on the market, it's my personal favorite for all three platforms (ClamAV for Linux, ClamXAV for Mac).

I wouldn't dream of disabling any of my anti-malware applications, unless I first disconnected my internet connection.  Failing to do the latter leaves the computer vulnerable to everything out there, and it's common knowledge that with the automated equipment hackers use to find open ports to exploit, finding YOURS can happen in seconds if you lower your guard.  Want to become part of a botnet?

Having said that, I don't disable anything.  As others have already said, properly configured anti-malware software shouldn't interfere with other activities.  If it does, the problem is there, not somewhere else.

I will agree with racklefratz.  There are a lot of background processes that can be disabled, but unless you are physically disconnected from the internet, I'd maintain the firewall and anti-malware.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.