Sign in to follow this  
captjames

Leonardo MD-80 Nacdata updates

Hi guys,

I've had the Leonardo Maddog for years now however have never successfully updated the NavData.  Now I understand that the navdata uses the PMDG update but I'm unable to fly a number of routes because it never works.  

Does anyone have any ideas- I'd be extremely grateful.

Thanks,

James

You have to purchase pmdg navdata from aerosoft or navigraph

edit:

why doesn't pmdg work for you? for me it works just fine

I allways do it manually, it's simple: 

1. update PMDG navdata

2. go to your main FSX folder "Microsoft Flight Simulator X\PMDG". You will see there "NAVDATA" folder, and "SIDSTARS" folder.

3. copy "NAVDATA" folder to "Microsoft Flight Simulator X\FMCWP" folder

4.  copy "SIDSTARS" folder to "Microsoft Flight Simulator X\MADDOG2008" folder 

5. When you run Maddog "Manager & Setup" utility next time, the new navdata will be detected. Select "do nothing, everything is fine"

For FS9 you need to copy only "SIDSTAR" folder, in FS9 both PMDG and Maddog will use navdata from "FMCWP" folder

That's all

Can I jump in and ask how this compares to the Coolsky MD-80?

I dont have Coolsky, but Leonardo Maddog is one of the best available addons for FSX and FS9. It's a little bit old, but still right there with PMDG and Majestic. Graphics are not the best, but realism is just awesome, systems and flight dynamics are maybe the best. Maddog is a very serious simulation, it has some unique features like working shared cockpit for example.

If you want, take a look at some reviews:

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0409/Leonardo/Maddog.htm

http://www.avsim.com/pages/1110/Leonardo/Maddog.html

I dont have Coolsky, but Leonardo Maddog is one of the best available addons for FSX and FS9. It's a little bit old, but still right there with PMDG and Majestic. Graphics are not the best, but realism is just awesome, systems and flight dynamics are maybe the best. Maddog is a very serious simulation, it has some unique features like working shared cockpit for example.

If you want, take a look at some reviews:

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0409/Leonardo/Maddog.htm

http://www.avsim.com/pages/1110/Leonardo/Maddog.html

Thanks. How is night lighting in the virtual cockpit? is there separate gauge backlighting and dome light switches?

Lots of separate levels and zones to adjust the lighting for. Maybe check some youtube videos to see the elements in action. It was, in some terms still is, way ahead of the competition, not only in the lighting chapter.

Thanks. How is night lighting in the virtual cockpit? is there separate gauge backlighting and dome light switches?

it has fully functional VC cockpit like in real plane. Every switch is working. Only a couple of bugs, but fixed and well documented in leonardo maddog forums. Cold&Dark start, updating the Navdata :) , lighting in VC(there is a fix in forums), engine sound remains on if you switch to external view after shutdown(there is a alternative TSS sound for Maddog which adds some realism). 

All of them are minor buggs, comparing with a lot of great things in this addon. If you go for maddog, there are a lot of people to help you in forums, and you can PM me anytime if you need help with this plane. 

Thank you, I have been looking to learn a new aircraft, and love the MD-11 so I wanted to always learn the MD-80. Last question, where is the best and cheapest place to buy it? Simmarket is a lot cheaper than the developer, it's the same product?

Yes, it's same, i'm not sure why simmarket is cheaper for 6 euros :) 

PS - some tips for first flights:

Before you load the plane for the first time in FSX, go to Manager & Setup and choose a livery you want to use. If you choose other livery then selected in manager, there will be no VC :)

For a full flights with cold&dark situation, you need to set everything in Manager, and then for Maddog to be loaded correctly and to avoid any problems:

- Every time load your flight in default cesnna

- turn engine off

- turn ignition switch all the way to the left

- turn master switch off

- turn avionics off

Now from FSX inside menu, select Maddog. You will have correct cold&dark panel and correctly loaded plane, passanegers and fuel - as you previously configured in manager&setup during preflight

This is simply a mithic plane! I use MD11 and still studing MD80, awesome.

It's a shame it won't update for Prepar3D 2.x, I installed into p3d but oly works on 2d, in vc clickspots are unclickable. Furthermore if ypu use fs2crew you can get more immersive experience!

1) why admin doens't follow anymore flythemaddog forum? I try to register me but never get a reply

2) write directly to the admin and the same

3) any news on probable update?

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270