I currently run my sim on a 40 inch led tv (very happy with visuals) and another  small monitor for fmc,  radar contact etc. I was thinking of building a home cockpit but once I started pricing out the various components I was unsure I wanted to lock myself into one type of plane.( I most frequently fly pmdg 737 however I still like to fly on occasion other airliners and some ga planes) So now I was thinking of purchasing a 65 inch led (while measuring components for 737 it appears a 65 inch would allow me to display instruments at close to real world sizes / capt windows view 31 inches wide 15.7 inches height / captain's side mip 37.4 inches wide 14 inches high) which would allow me to fly different planes however the flight instruments would be close to real world sizes. Thoughts /opinions thanks

I have a home cockpit and I can use it for most any aircraft I want, although it will still look like 737 but you can still use the hardware to control other airplanes, but its a pain in a rear and a lot of work to write scripts to use hardware for other airplanes.

at the moment I can fly 737 and 777 with my cockpit, there are gauges available that I can use for example for captainsim l1011, so on main monitors i just got outside view then generic gauges stick in the holes on the other monitors. but yes it will not be realistic like using virtual cockpit on big screen. from your post i am sensing you like to see the cocpit of the aircraft you fly, then i would recommend going with the big monitor.

I dont recall what it cost me exactly but somewhere around $5000 or so for my toy combined all hardware etc.. and i did a lot of it myself i only bought the electronic hardware FMC, EFIS, MCP etc... all other are lots of wires lots of soldering inventing and planning LOL just one Com Radio cost min 140 euros...

so yeah from a wibe I get from your post i would recommend you go with big screen and every airplane will work out of the box with its respective virtual cockpit

I just hate to click a mouse and it was a fun project too :)

Andy

Impressionnant Andy!

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

another way is going with a nice 4K 65 inch TV and build your cockpit anyways, as you see i use 3 monitors but if i was doing it today i would go with a single big 4k TV especially seeing how prices for them are going down so fast with new OLED around the corner will be able to pick up good quality 4k for under $2000... well yes its more expensive then 3 monitors that i use but you should get better performance and better picture quality. i have this distortion on side monitors "stretch" i am used to it so it doesn't bother me so much and really the point is to cover the entire area in front to the cockpit so it looks kinda real.

so yeah i would say definitely 4k or Ultra HD big 65+ TV and then you can build your cockpit around it "well in front of it" if you wish.

Using virtual cockpit on 3 monitors is not that great.. well, I dont like it... but it was not the point when i was building it.

and with big tv you can then move your TV or cockpit you build out of the way and use the Cessna or whatever else you want with VC.

I am actually considering replacing them 3 monitors with a big 4k tv in near future when the prices go down some more yet. mainly for improved performance as it will be slightly lower resolution "yet higher and i would expect performance gain and no loss in quality" then what i have and only 1 screen.

now that i think about it it will be higher resolution over 8M pixels vs little over 6M pixels but still i think it will be better... or not LOL

Andy

I am actually considering replacing them 3 monitors with a big 4k tv in near future when the prices go down some more yet. mainly for improved performance as it will be slightly lower resolution "yet higher and i would expect performance gain and no loss in quality" then what i have and only 1 screen.
''

Great set up there Andy.

I can't really see a 65" screen just slotting into that cockpit though.

With a full hardware cockpit like that the screen would be way to high for comfortable viewing (assuming you want to see it all).

gb.

So now I was thinking of purchasing a 65 inch led (while measuring components for 737 it appears a 65 inch would allow me to display instruments at close to real world sizes

I'm running a 48" and the VCs look pretty good but I don't think I would go much lager.

My worry would that with a 65" HD TV the cockpit details would start to break up to the point you could not see the finer details of instruments etc.

For 65" I would be looking at 4K as Andy says.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Thanks,

I test it with my smaller one like 55, but the idea is it would be further away, not where the current monitors are, sort of like having a projector and it displaying everything in screen further away, but TV instead, I am not big fan of projectors but yeah something to think about as far as big TV, I'm in no rush for it.