Sign in to follow this  
mawibo

Progress with networking issues, update 11/05/2014

Dear SLX users,

The new version that includes the client-server functionality can be downloaded now (you should be notified when you start SLX). If you are running SLX on a remote client, make sure that you run the SlxServer application on the server. In SlxServer you have to set the IP-Address and port number and in SimLauncherX on the client you have to set the IP-address of the server and the SlxServer port number (in addition to the SimConnect port number). SlxServer indicates the status of the connection to SimLauncher at the bottom of the window and SimLauncherX indicates the status of the connection to SlxServer at the top right of the main window, next to the SimConnect status indicator. The new client-server functionality has not been tested by anyone but me and I have not yet updated the user guide, so please let me know if things don't work as expected. Please include the [Documents]\SimLauncherX\SimLauncherX.log file from the client and the [Documents]\SimLauncherX\SlxServer.log file from the server when you send me an e-mail.

I would also like to know if things do work!

P.S.: the new version requires a complete rebuild of the database on the server due to the addition of the 'Longest runway' column to the airports list. Even if you will not use this new column, a complete rebuild of the database is required. Rebuilding the database on the client does not work; you have to build the database on the server and then manually copy the database ([Documents]\SimLauncherX\SimLauncherX.[FSX|Prepar3D].sdf from the server to the client.

thanks for you patience,

Maarten

Maarten Boelens ([m][a:][R][t][ʏ][n])
Developer of SimLauncherX

ftx_supporter_avsim.gifC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Thanks for staying at it!!

Maurice

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

I can confirm that networking and notably starting the Simulator on the Server from the Client works now. I had it running for the first time with the most recent version (to be updated on the Client as well as on the Server) yesterday. This is acutally quite amazing, you sure can copy or delete files across the network, but to my knowledge it's all but trivial to have a program started over the Network.

Just run the SlxServer program on the Server in the tray, which can be auto-started at boot time, and from now on you can configure, start and track the Simulator on the Moving Map, all from the Client.

Very well done. Maarten! Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

The Sixserver needs the IP address of the server..right ?

Reece

Maurice J

Right.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Hi Maarten,

So do I still need to configure all the remote folders too? Or should Slx pickup the server instance and not require the networked folder locations?

Louise

London, UK

Hi Leo,

You still need to set the remote folders. The server application has no idea where you have installed your simulator(s).

Maarten

Something is still wrong on my setup and no clue what it is.

I started from scratch yesterday: updated database on server, copied to client, confirmed I.P. address, MAC, etc were correct (server and client). Double-checked the four network folders.

After starting sixserver on the server I loaded the Launcher on the client.

It connected immediately to the server but that was as far as things would go.

When I press the FlyNow button a DOS cmd.exe box pos up and a message saying the fsx.exe cannot be found in the network folder which points to ...\\my pc\D\FSX\. (which is exactly where fsx.exe is located.

About the only thing that I am uncertain about is the .BAT file. Please clarify its name/location. Maybe that is the problem.

This is a really unique program and it would be great to get it working across a network (actually had it for one flight last week but back to square 1 now)

Regards to all and will appreciate some help.

Neal H

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

The batch file is no longer required. Just point SimLauncher to fsx.exe. I did this with prepar3d.exe and it worked.

Kind regards, Michael

"Just point SimLauncher to fsx.exe. I did this with prepar3d.exe and it worked."

That's my problem. SimLauncher cannot find the fsx.exe even though I have it directed to the correct folder on the ever pc. Tried with the mapped network drive :  \\Casey97-pc\Intel FSX\FSX\   The SETTINGS for SimLauncher accepts all four network mapped folders but still no contact with FSX.

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

Hi Neal,

You have to edit the selected profile and point the startup program to your fsx.exe file on the server.

thanks, Maarten

Hi Maarten I can get SLX to connect on the wireless line but it lags behind on the map. All the other programs are connect by the Ethernet line. SLX will not connect on the Ethernet. Any ideas on this? I know there's probably one button to push and it will connect but I have tried over the last 3 days and about to give up. I'll turn on the computer one day and boom it will connect by it self.

Thanks

Reece

Maurice J

Hi Reece,

SLX doesn't know what type of network you are using. Make sure you have set the correct IP-address of the server in both SlxServer and in SimLauncherX on the client. The IP-address on the ethernet port differs from the IP-address on your WiFi connection. Open a command prompt on the server and type "ipconfig /all" to find out what IP-address to use. Also make sure that your firewall, if used, is set to allow incoming and outgoing traffic on the IP-address/port combination you use for SLX.

thanks, Maarten