Sign in to follow this  
Manny

Is P3D 64 bit on the Horizon?

I am a lurker of the p3d threads and discussions. I am still on FSX and happy and wouldn't dream of making the switch until the big boys have supported the platform.

I will see what PMDG have to say about it, and then decide.

Alex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Every 2-3 years we spend $2000-$3000 for a new PC...imagine this time, we have to spend some money on add on instead! Same difference! 

:P

I have never ever not even since 1984 spent more than £200 on a complete pc rebuild!

Directly 64-bits can't add features. It simply allows you to use more than 4GB VAS memory. But by being able to use more memory you can use different techniques to create new effects. But that will require more of your system. But you must go there sooner or later.

It`s not  just that.

Every processor nowadays is a 64bit processor, 32bit only works because the CPU strips the top 32bit of the 64bit instruction so to speak, or adds 32 blank bits on top of the 32bit so it can pass through the 64bit CPU. (depends on how you look at it)

Anyways since with the saturation of the CPU`s thread manager by P3D, because everyone sets their program to run as fast/complex as possible, it should gain a little speed but more likely speed predictability (better average) because the CPU has 1-2 less steps to do.

since 1984 spent more than £200 on a complete pc rebuild!

A good video card costs around $600 Hmmm... 

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I am a lurker of the p3d threads and discussions. I am still on FSX and happy and wouldn't dream of making the switch until the big boys have supported the platform.

I will see what PMDG have to say about it, and then decide.

Alex

You should follow the P3d threads in the official PMDG forum here. They are about to release the 777 for P3d and other aircraft in Q1 2015:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/454122-25oct14-first-glance-at-pmdg-777-200-for-prepar3d/#entry3101995

You should follow the P3d threads in the official PMDG forum here. They are about to release the 777 for P3d and other aircraft in Q1 2015:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/454122-25oct14-first-glance-at-pmdg-777-200-for-prepar3d/#entry3101995

Sorry mate, didn't make it clear what I wrote. Yeah I am aware they're moving over but the details (pricing) are still unclear

Alex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

I was thinking about converting over to P3D for the 747v2.0. That seems to make the most economical sense to me.

Peter Osborn

Sorry mate, didn't make it clear what I wrote. Yeah I am aware they're moving over but the details (pricing) are still unclear

I don't think so, pricing was said to be less than $200 and obviously not less than current FSX price $90 ... so between $90 - $200.  So about 1 tank of gas (US prices) ... Euro about 1/2 tank of gas :)

Cheers, Rob.

A good video card costs around $600 Hmmm... 

Mine cost me £80 and runs my sim as smooth as silk with everything full on

I can't see any 64bit version of P3D appearing for at least three years. I have no evidence to support my thinking, other than it would be sensible for LM and third party developers to sit down and discuss whether it would be possible to create tools that enable "upgrades" of existing 32bit software to 64bit. I guess they may be content to "start all over again" with 64bit, but I can't help feeling that it would be worthwhile not rushing this, and investigating whether "32bit to 64bit" migration is a viable prospect for existing addon software.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Here are the feature specs:

1.  Do XYZ

2.  Add MNO

3.  Enchance ABC

4.  Add RST

5.  Create EFG

You really got my kids attention with this one.  He really likes the alphabet.  I hope your plan for 2015 works out.  Remember the project manager's rule; take your best case, multiply it times 3.  The problem with that is that the kid doesn't know how to multiply and wants things NOW.

The best thing I can do is to pace things out with good enough things to keep him satisfied until the next thing.

So, you refuse to buy anything 32bit, thus cutting devs off their cash needed for R&D. You are prepared to re- buy and reconfigure everything once 64 bit is out.

Why not switch to X-plane then?

In my point of view the 64 bit move was just a marketing gig to sell 'bigger is better' hardware. I still fail to see the necessity for the average PC users anyway.

In my experience a 32bit app recompiled to 64 bit runs identically (performance wise) on the same hardware (C++ and Java were the testbeds).

LORBY-SI

So, you refuse to buy anything 32bit, thus cutting devs off their cash needed for R&D. You are prepared to re- buy and reconfigure everything once 64 bit is out.

Why not switch to X-plane then?

In my point of view the 64 bit move was just a marketing gig to sell 'bigger is better' hardware. I still fail to see the necessity for the average PC users anyway.

In my experience a 32bit app recompiled to 64 bit runs identically (performance wise) on the same hardware (C++ and Java were the testbeds).

I'd rather have airports in a 32bit programme instead of airstrips in a 64bit programme.

that enable "upgrades" of existing 32bit software to 64bit

A marketing opportunity for the Estonians perchance?

I would love to see that! I think that we can all acknowledge that any simple conversion process from 32bit to 64bit (however unlikely) would be the holy grail as far as P3D is concerned.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png