Sign in to follow this  
Manny

Is P3D 64 bit on the Horizon?

I know I am probably going to get chewed for asking this Q.  Maybe it was asked and addressed already and it was answered.. not sure. I did a search and did not find any thread.

So. IS P3D 64 bit on the horizon by LM? Any posts on this matter? Links please?

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

The article below might give you some answers. I've been watching P3D out of the corner of one eye for a long time, and gather that while 64bit is certainly something for the future, LM is not in a rush at the moment.

http://www.airdailyx.net/interview-with-lockheed-martin/

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

PMDG in their 777 thread mention that they are evaluating what it would take for them if p3d was 64-bit. Maybe they know some stuff from LM and that's a clue that it may be coming?

Maybe they know some stuff from LM and that's a clue that it may be coming?

Actually thats what prompted me for searching for answers and this thread. :)

The article below might give you some answers

Thank You. HiFlyer.

Manny

Don`t be impatient, they went from 2bit to 32bit in 1.5 year.

To go to 64bit shouldn`t take them that long then.

64 bit will mean nothing is compatible and everything will have to be re-purchased.

If you don't already have it, I'd wait. That's what I'll be doing. Can't be more than a few years away.

Don`t be impatient, they went from 2bit to 32bit in 1.5 year.

So, this should get done by next weekend then... :lol:

No confirmed version or date has been provide for a 64bit product however LM have indicated that they do plan to make a 64bit product.  

If you want a 64bit P3D product, the best way to get that is to support the 32bit existing product.

What I would imagine is that LM would get 3rd party devs on board with a 64bit product including asking them for a "wish list" ... an SDK may be only available to those dev that are "on board" with LM as the SDK would be an evolving work (not ready for an  immediate release when the product is released).  This allows LM to release a 64bit product earlier with some existing 3rd party products that would provide enough of a impression (think, wow I must have that).  If the 64bit product is that good, the market will follow over time.

The SDK would follow after release and maybe even some tools to help with 32bit to 64bit migration.  The SDK is a huge undertaking and hence why it might be smart to delay an "official" 64bit SDK in order to get a 64bit product out earlier.  Existing 3rd party would have to work with LM directly (hence PMDG comment).

This is just me thinking out loud ... my opinion and nothing about this opinion comes from any inside information from LM.

Cheers, Rob.

This is just me thinking out loud ... my opinion and nothing about this opinion comes from any inside information from LM.

Cheers, Rob.

Really? B)

What you said makes perfect sense and it makes me drool that LM is indeed working hard and resourcefully on developing P3D 64bit. Will it even be possible for 64bit to make it in late 2015?

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Probably a dumb question, but would 64 bit be able to allow things like raindrops on the windshield? 

Chris Sunseri

No really ... all just my opinion, nothing more.

I pick up hints here and there just like everyone else ... just me thinking out loud.

I'll give you a hint on how software development often goes:

Here are the feature specs:

1.  Do XYZ

2.  Add MNO

3.  Enchance ABC

4.  Add RST

5.  Create EFG

Do this by 2015

Here are the results:

1.  Do XYZ

4.  Add RST

2.  Add MNO

3.  Enhance ABC

:) - that's usually how it goes

Cheers, Rob.

Sounds a lot like research projects going on in my lab. What ever time you think it can be done, double it and add another six months...

My dream is P3D 64bit + Oculus Rift @4K + 30fps minimum with mid-max settings. In three years maybe it come true.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Hope is eternal.

Even if P3D 64 bit is 3 years away, its a postive thing. 32bit has hit a wall with OOM. 

Yes, backward compatibility can only go so far.. I am totally happy with P3D V2.4 and all the add ons we have so far. I have so many addons yet I fly around  only 4-8 airports and areas. 

Yet another add on for 32 bit (other than PMDG 777 and 747..wink wink..  :lol: ) is not going to do thing for me.

I don't care if Orbx  publishes another airport for P3D V2.4 or FSDT does not produce yet another COUTL burdened airport  .. I don't care for another add on for P3d V2.4 or for FSX

The only real improvement from now on..is 64 bit! PERIOD!  Even if I have to rebuild and repurchase every single add on.  I have reached the marginal diminishing return of yet another add on for FSX/32 bit stuff.  JMO!

Add on Vendors should jump with joy at the prospect of 64bit...they could charge  for a total new add on and there would be a market for it. Every 2-3 years we spend $2000-$3000 for a new PC...imagine this time, we have to spend some money on add on instead! Same difference! 

:P

Manny

I pushed for 64bit during Phil Taylor days prior to FSX release ... I could see where Microsoft were going in the entertainment arena (as in XBOX only) so I desperately tried to push ACES to 64bit while they were still alive and together and funded.  I knew it wasn't going to happen, but I voiced it anyway ... frequently and sometimes in a less than PC manner.

The harsh reality is that it's a massive undertaking to move to 64bit and legacy support would have been truncated.  But in some ways the very same 3rd party developers of 2006 were VERY vocal about retaining the 32bit path and compatibility ... now those same developers are wishing they had a 64bit path ... ironic isn't it.

But what is done is done ... lets hope for a great future and hope we all learn something from the past.

Cheers, Rob.

Directly 64-bits can't add features. It simply allows you to use more than 4GB VAS memory. But by being able to use more memory you can use different techniques to create new effects. But that will require more of your system. But you must go there sooner or later.