Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

My annual "ask the community for help for ME" post....

Gents-

I worked through some of the recommendations here- but unfortunately I am still plagued by this pause/run/pause/run problem.

I have an Aero configuration as my desktop...  I customized it by setting a photo of a ratty old oil dripping DC-3 as the desktop, so on the chance that this was somehow a problem, I defaulted back to the "Windows 7 Aero desktop."   This did change the behavior slightly in that if I CLICK outside the window and then CLICK back into the P3D window- I get an 8 second pause, two second run, 8 second pause and then the sim begins running normally again.

I've tried the recommendations with respect to tabbing in/out of the sim- but this also did not change the behavior.

I'm still searching the googlesphere and LM's forums for an answer- but not coming up with anything...

Any other ideas?

rsrandazzo,

Please post you full name to...

Never mind. :)

Okay Matt...  I've added you to my personal watch list.  :ph34r:

:lol:

Rob make sure you are also using alt+enter to go in and out of P3D - dont click on your desktop especially if aero was not your answer

Rich-

Wait..  ALT+ENTER?  That would mean running full screen...  Which makes it really hard to run the debugger.  :P

I always run the sim in a window because I invariably have 2-3 other programs supporting the development process that I also need to be able to see and interact with...

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Rich-

Wait..  ALT+ENTER?  That would mean running full screen...  Which makes it really hard to run the debugger.  :P

I always run the sim in a window because I invariably have 2-3 other programs supporting the development process that I also need to be able to see and interact with...

==============================================

This sounds like an issue something easy but are you running windows 8 - its not P3D I would look into windows issues - its midnight here so have to fly lol - I will look into it more tomorrow - take crae

Rich Sennett

Rob why don't you shoot a PM over to Rob Ainscough, he's a BETA tester for P3D and has been around helping others with their issues.  There is also a thread on DSR which has been getting lots of attention and someone has their settings posted.

Have a look at Sesquashtoo's post:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/454108-dsr-for-this-flight-simmer-a-milestone/#entry3102227

Then have a look at the post with all the links to his pic's and you'll be most impressed with P3D:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/454108-dsr-for-this-flight-simmer-a-milestone/#entry3101908

\Robert Hamlich/

I customized it by setting a photo of a ratty old oil dripping DC-3

If it ain't leakin', it just means there isn't any left.

Be careful with throwing ratty around...she might just make you buy flowers to keep out of the dog house...or new batteries. Those might suffice, too. Know your audience and all...  :P

Kyle Rodgers

As a workaround until we figure it out - could be as simple as a new video driver - need to know your OS anyway maybe this will help for now

Instructions
Right-click the desktop shortcut or icon for your game.

Click "Properties." Find the "Target" field in the window that opens.

Type "-windowed" at the end of the "Target" field. Leave a space between the hyphen in "-windowed" and the end of the text in the "Target" field.

Click "Apply" and "OK." Double-click the game icon, and your game begins in windowed mode.

Rich Sennett

CTRL/ALT/DEL, start task manger. under processes tab, right mouse clcik on fsx.exe (Or PD3.x) In drop down menu, set PRIORITY to "HIGH".

Just my two cents. Good luck.

I had a similar problem with Windows 7 Pro, FSX, and the PMDG NGX. Both in full screen and windowed mode it would pause, run, pause, run. It turned out the be the nVidia driver version I was running. Once I reverted to the previous everything ran fine again. Subsequent drivers to that "bad" version have been fine.

Dave

Dave Paige

Hi Rob,

I haven't come across said issue, however my setup is slightly different to the one you're running. Specifically I'm missing the PMDG 777-200LR/F for P3D :ph34r: ! However if you can arrange to shoot me over a copy of the PMDG 777-200LR/F for P3D I'd be happy to give it a try for you!. 

Regards,

Craig Dykstra

Nice one!!!

PMDG-777-EK-SIG-MAY1713-2_zps6f2ed2be.pn

Chidiebere Anyahara

Robert a couple of suggestions:

-Verify the "pause on task switch" item in Gerneral options is unchecked

-Try unchecking the "Mute on lost focus" option under sound ( could be a soundcard issue with the sim loosing focus)

Also if you have recently changed any hardware or drivers:

-Check your power profile in windows, make sure it is on high performance. I've caught windows changing the power profile as a result of driver changes or simply moving a USB device to a different port.

Your CPU and/or GPU could be slowing down when you switch tasks

-If using an Nvidia GPU check your P3D profile and make sure the Power management mode is set to "Prefer maximum performance" instead of adaptive

-Also certain Nvidia drivers on certain hardware can cause all kinds of weirdness, Version 337.88 has been one of the most reliable driver builds for P3D

Gents-

It seems about once per year that I wind up coming to the forum asking if anyone has any suggestions for how to resolve a particular issue I am having- and this is going to be that annual post!

Normally when I need help with something hardware or software related I just go directly to Ryan at our tech support because **nobody** knows how to fix stuff better than Ryan...

Ryan is a bit buried in a combination of tasks so I'm going to toss this one out to everyone here and hope someone can point me to a resolution....

Ready?  Here goes!:

I am running P3D v2.4...  I installed it from the full v2.4 installer.  It is plain-vanilla, totally bone-stock.  I have not installed any other addon aircraft or scenery as of yet- with the exception of the 777-200LR/F from some company called PMDG.  (Ever heard of them?  They make good stuff....  You should definitely try them out!)

When I run P3D, I run it in a window.  It runs incredibly well, but if I click outside of the window and then return to P3D, the sim will freeze, run, freeze, run, freeze run over and over for a period of time that may last ten seconds or it may last two minutes.  During the freeze, the "(Not Responding)" flag appears in the window title bar.

One the freezing ceases, the sim runs perfectly- until I click outside the window again. 

This makes running the 777 in a debugging environment extremely challenging- and frankly it is driving me nuts...

I have two screens, both running on their own graphics card- but I still experience this problem if I remove one card and the second screen.

I searched the P3D forums and a bunch of other online venues but did not find anything that matched my experience.  I have upgraded hardware and completely removed/reinstalled the software twice now- but the experience remains the same.

Okay- bring on the experts...  Any ideas what it is or how I fix it?

Dear Robert,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us on our forum seeking support. As a valued customer, your enquiry is very important to us. However, we no longer provide technical support via our forum. Please submit a support ticket via our website at: http://support.precisionmanuals.com/Main/Default.aspx

Have a nice day.

Matt

Nearly PMDG Support

Sorry Robert - I couldn't resist having a little fun! It's nice to know that experts like you occasionally have the same problems as us Commoners!  :P

LOL Good one Matt - lets hope He has sorted things out 

Rich Sennett

Gents-

Thanks for the continued feedback...  I will try some of the solutions you recommended today when I sit down with the machine in the morning.

Currently I am running the 747-400 fuel dump system through the debugger looking for erroneous pump and valve commands- and having too much fun to stop.  B)

(Matthew Bellette- please swing by the hangar and 5gallon bucket and meet me at the gate.   I need you to stand out about 20' behind the fuel dump discharge port and catch anything that comes out.  Please don't spill any...  You might want to bring a shower cap and some goggles too.)  :ph34r:

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Currently I am running the 747-400 fuel dump system through the debugger looking for erroneous pump and valve commands- and having too much fun to stop.  B)

Stop teasing us!  :P

You might want to bring a shower cap and some goggles too.

That's not too bad. At least you're not testing the lav dump...  :Big Grin:

Walter Meier

That's not too bad. At least you're not testing the lav dump...  :Big Grin:

LOL! AKA, Blue By You.