Sign in to follow this  
meesterlijk

Searching for a good FS9 system

Im probably one of the few people who are really attached to FS9. I have this for so many years and in that time if have collected a widespread of add-ons.

I will stick to it until my last breath.

I have a system that is 5 years old.

I copied the specs in here: INTEL CORE 2 QUAD CORE PROCESSOR Q8200 (2.33GHZ, 1333MHZ, 8MB

CACHE)

512MB ATI RADEON 4850 GRAPHICS CARD

2 years ago I installed a SSD card to speed up some things.

In FS9 I get frame rates aroud 40-50 fps and at very busy areas like JFK, ORD, LAX and ATL they drop dramatically to 10-15 fps.

What do you guys think? Is this acceptable or can the performances get any better with a faster system. I know fs9 is not a multicore program so what is a realistic option for me.

Is this acceptable

That's impossibel to say, because we'll never know your exact needs.

can the performances get any better with a faster system.

Of course, you already said it...."better system".... so yes, you'll get better performance, especially when you could get a higher clockspeed by either overlocking or buying a new PC.

As for frame rates, they're always pretty useless in discussions, because frame rates rely on tons of things, like how the hardware and OS was set up, what other programs are running, which settings you use in FS9, which add-ons you use and which settings you use for the add-ons, what kind of weather you have, which plane you fly, etc, etc.  So when a person claims that he's getting 30fps in city X and you're getting 20fps in city X, that doesn't automatically mean that he's having better hardware, keep that in mind, so don't stare yourself blind on frame rates of others.

Btw, don't allow others to convince you that you need the latest and greatest hardware, because it's about your needs and not theirs. I use a fast system and love its perfomance, but I would never recommond what I like, I recommend something that fits the needs and finances of the other person.

As for the busy areas: simply adjust you settings when you fly those areas, especially settings for autogen and AI, it might give you that extra bit of boost that you need.

Veel plezier!

:-)

Thanks for the reply.

For me the frame rates are not that important. The thing is that I want a system that makes my FS just a little smoother during flying. I really dont want an high-end system. Maybe its just improving the video-card or adding some memory. I dont know whats best.

I have lots of addons. Last week I was flying to Atlanta and when I approached the area my frame rates dropped dramatically. Mid-air at FL240 or so. It was all about the AI-traffic I have installed. When I set the slider to 0% traffic the frame rates went up to the max. (60 fps and more)

So its actually has nothing to do with the scenery. All the sliders are up, no problem at all. But I like the traffic. That is something i am really busy working on. Lots of Woai packages and even more packages from AIG installed with AiFP.

Could there be a solution about the traffic? I already checked all my addon aircraft with some program I forgot the name of.

Right. Maybe someone has some Columbus-egg for me. ;-) I guess thats a typical Dutch thing to say.

@levada: mijn dank is groot. :-)

Could there be a solution about the traffic? I already checked all my addon aircraft with some program I forgot the name of.

From what I remember reading in the FS2004 forum apparently there is an issue with an American Airlines AI texture which causes all sorts of issues.  It may be worthwhile doing a search to see whether this may be relevant in your case.   ^_^

That was an issue I had some months ago. There was something wrong with (correct me if I'm wrong) a 772. Some texture issues.

My fs suddenly had ctd's when I approached MIA or DFW. That one has been solved.

Could it be something else with the traffic? How do you have organised your ai-traffic files. I mean, how are your planes organised in the folder? Is there something I could have missed?

What is your Budget?

For Fs9 in my Opinion a i5 with 4x 3.2 or 3.3 Ghz is enough.

And a Video Card could be a GTX 760 or a GTX 750 Ti?

your whole upgrade should cost you under $200. Sim should be smooth as anything. 

G3460 $99

4GB 1600mhz low latency ram $38

motherboard $50

Keep running Windows xp or ealier. 

the old psu should work

i don't see any reason to upgrade graphics card for 2004

The G3460 is better than what you have now in everyway. The single core processing is way ahead of it. Have fun!

AMD 5800X | Nvidia 3090 FE | Samsung CRG9 49 inch monitor | Samsung M.2 NVMe 1TB|  3, 1TB SSDs| 32GB DDR4 @3600 cl 16| Windows 10|X-plane 11, MS2020